third function

Ronny Karriker

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota M4-071
Sep 7, 2023
Gibsland Louisiana
I have a new M4-071 with third function remote, when using third function with grapple are Lane Shark cutter you cannot use front end loader it will not move unless you turn third function off. The third function valve is factory Kubota valve. Dealer is at a loss, he thinks it is something to do with havinng the 12 speed transmisson. Has anyone had this problem?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a new M4-071 with third function remote, when using third function with grapple are Lane Shark cutter you cannot use front end loader it will not move unless you turn third function off. The third function valve is factory Kubota valve. Dealer is at a loss, he thinks it is something to do with havinng the 12 speed transmisson. Has anyone had this problem?
Your dealer is clueless.

Something is not installed properly.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sigh
hope you never, EVER have to have your new tractor serviced by them !!!
It's really, really sad and inexcusable that a service tech can't install something as easy as a 3rd function kit WITh the official documentation.
I could understand this problem IF it had been done by a 'backyard bodger' using 'this and that' parts from 'here and there' but NOT from a dealership. That's plumb redickulous.....

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
It may seem ridiculous, but it's far too common in too many places. It seems dealers have the same problems getting (and keeping) good help as any other business in today's crazy world. Everywhere I go shops are understaffed. Things go undone, machinery sits around for weeks without being worked on.

A project such as this is often assigned to less experienced help, because the guy who knows what he's doing is busy elsewhere. The fact that it may have been done incorrectly is bad enough, but it SHOULD have been caught by someone before it was delivered.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Your dealer is making up excuses. They need to correctly install the third function.

I did my own for just this reason, and I wanted my install to look “professional” and OEM (which you can hardly buy anymore).

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Your dealer is making up excuses. They need to correctly install the third function.

I did my own for just this reason, and I wanted my install to look “professional” and OEM (which you can hardly buy anymore).
Iam not totally clear on the complsint as it relates to a grapple but:

The Lane Shark has a hydraulic motor with a dedicated tank return. If using the third function to power the Lane Shark ALL devices down stream of the 3rd function are effectively disconnected whenever the LS is running - period. That is contrary to everything else you will ever see installed on a Kubota including a grapple.

Lane Shatk installation instructions are incredibly poor explaining this and their installation guidance is often wrong when used on a normal Kubota 3rd function or auxiliary valve circuit.

When installing a Lane Shark first thing you need to know and understand is:

WHEN THE LANE SHARK IS RUNNING EVERYTHING DOWN STREAM OF THE VALVE SUPPLYING THE LANE SHARK IS DISABLED

Dan

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Sounds like something is plumbed upstream of your loader valve. Are you using the third function valve to power the Lane Shark? Does it have a separate return connection?

Could you post a sketch of how your hoses and valves are connected?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Sounds like something is plumbed upstream of your loader valve. Are you using the third function valve to power the Lane Shark? Does it have a separate return connection?

Could you post a sketch of how your hoses and valves are connected?
I had a look at parts disgram for the Kubota third function option on that tractor/loader. The diagram does not show much beyond the third function components. Not clear to me if the third function valve is positioned before or after the loader valve but the connection points are well defined. Hard to imagine a Kubota service tech hooked it up to some other place in the circuit.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
what you need to find is the 'installation' manual.
That should clearly show everything needed to correctly install the 'kit'.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
what you need to find is the 'installation' manual.
That should clearly show everything needed to correctly install the 'kit'.
First finding that document is easier said than done. Second is it going to diagram flow in the circuit? Not likely. What the OP could provide is a better description of the behavior he is experiencing.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
hmm,
if the machine he bought came from factory with 3rd fnx, it HAS to work..
if 3rd fnx was dealer installed, manual IS at dealer,should have been given to owner

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
hmm,
if the machine he bought came from factory with 3rd fnx, it HAS to work..
if 3rd fnx was dealer installed, manual IS at dealer,should have been given to owner
I never said it wasn't working. The Lane Shark seems to be the fly in his ointment. Read what I wrote earlier. The LS blocks the normal operation of the tractors power beyond circuit.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
thought he wrote can't use the grapple either....
That's not clear. We need a better description of EXACTLY what is going on starting with the grapple.

"when using third function with grapple are Lane Shark cutter you cannot use front end loader it will not move unless you turn third function off. "

If that means the loader won't move while he is holding down the grapple switch it could be as simple as the grapple is at end of stroke and blocking PB flow. That is normal and proper behavior regardless of the order of loader and 3rd function valve.

Dan

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
First finding that document is easier said than done. Second is it going to diagram flow in the circuit? Not likely. What the OP could provide is a better description of the behavior he is experiencing.

Dan
Found the instructions in the La1154 installation manual. About as clear as mud but itvappears the valve is installed by removing the pump line from the loader valve which puts 3rd function ahead of loader. So if using one of the 3rd function ports to supply the Lane Shark the loader, any other remotes, and 3pt will be disabled when tHe LS motor is running. Nature of the LS design. Need to find a better way to feed the LS.

Dan

Last edited: