Thinking of getting a Backhoe

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
I am thinking of getting a BH92 backhoe (and thumb?) for my L4740. I have a number of tree stumps to dig, trees to plant, landscaping around the house and barns, clearing some ground for a trail thru a woods, burying leftovers from our burning pile. When those things a done, I would have a nice tractor with FEL and BH to pass on to my kids someday.

Are backhoes on these tractors useful? Maybe too small for some jobs or too big for other tight places? In my reading online, it seems many people really like tractor mounted BHs. Others say to just rent. But others say you should get a small excavator? However I am not sure I want another machine to maintain and store. Thoughts?

Also I do have a couple prices from local dealers. A BH92 installed on my tractor ranged from $9500 to $11,200. (the lower price was a verbal and I am a little unclear if that included tax or shipping). The higher is a written estimate provided by the dealer. Any experience on what is a typical cost?

Thanks.

Ron L4760

Apr 16, 2017
Johnson City TX
I am thinking of getting a BH92 backhoe (and thumb?) for my L4740. I have a number of tree stumps to dig, trees to plant, landscaping around the house and barns, clearing some ground for a trail thru a woods, burying leftovers from our burning pile. When those things a done, I would have a nice tractor with FEL and BH to pass on to my kids someday.

Are backhoes on these tractors useful? Maybe too small for some jobs or too big for other tight places? In my reading online, it seems many people really like tractor mounted BHs. Others say to just rent. But others say you should get a small excavator? However I am not sure I want another machine to maintain and store. Thoughts?

Also I do have a couple prices from local dealers. A BH92 installed on my tractor ranged from $9500 to $11,200. (the lower price was a verbal and I am a little unclear if that included tax or shipping). The higher is a written estimate provided by the dealer. Any experience on what is a typical cost?

Thanks.

I love my BH92/thumb/L4760. Absolutely great combo. I’m amazed at the weekly use I find for it. Its been detached from the tractor for a couple months with box blade in place while I’ve been working extra aggregate into my ranch roads in Central Texas. I’ll be glad to make the swap back in a couple of weeks though. The thing has a nine foot reach and the thumb provides high load accuracy.

If you need an excavator then rent one but I’d say I’ll we’ll get my 10 Grand use out of the BH92.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hi Stil, you are right that there is a lot of debate about backhoes vs dedicated diggers or renting.
I wasn’t looking for one, I just really wanted a FEL on a small classic Kubota. I lucked into one with a backhoe and it is great to have. I have dug footings, dug stumps, and planted trees as you wish to.
Now don’t go into debt for one, but if you can swing it it sure is convenient to have around.
:D
If you have the space and spare cash - are there any implements not worth having? (Maybe this is a thread topic of its own?)

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
First question, can you make it pay for itself?

Good avg is $1200.00 per/foot of digging depth. Installed with a subframe.

Pat

grandwazoo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5200 TLB, Kodiak box blade, wicked root grapple, EA pallet forks
Dec 12, 2017
Finger Lakes
First question, can you make it pay for itself?
That is a good question. What is hard to quantify in that equation, is all the times it will come in handy for the little things that you probably wouldn't go rent a backhoe for. At my place, there are a bunch of those. I have the BH92 and it digs like a champ, but it isn't like a dedicated machine. I would buy mine again on a do-over.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have a little BX25D. Will I 'get my money's worth out of the BH'? Probably not. For the times I really needed a BH, I'd be better off to borrow one from a neighbor or rent one. But to have it here, now, makes many difficult jobs much easier. So it is not just dollars, it is time value and convenience. When (if) I ell my little guy, the BH dollar value will come back to me.

If you can afford it without strain, are sick of hand digging stumps or do not want to burden friends and family (with the bonus of being an occasional hero), go for it.

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I had a BX2370 which didn't have a BH, so I traded it in on the BX23S. I have many stumps to take out and some wet spots that I wanted to dig a drainage ditch. I am very pleased that I traded and went with the BH on the BX23S. For me, this has exceeded my expectations. A bigger outfit would have made the job faster, but for me this has worked out well for our property size. I have taken out about 30 stumps already and looking forward to continuing to clean things up.

Good luck. Les.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Thanks.
It's better than digging by hand but not as good as a real backhoe if you need to do a lot of work. In my experience its easier and cheaper either rent on the short term or for longer term to buy a machine aka real construction backhoe, get your job done, then flip it for what you paid for it. I've been fortunate and have always come out ahead on the latter.

I had a frame mounted BH and I guarantee getting on and off the machine every time you need to move the backhoe to trench gets stale real quick. And when you have a small hoe you need to move the machine a lot more than one with a long reach.

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I have a BH92 with a hyd thumb on my MX4800.
From an economical point of view, it probably is wiser to rent one.

However, I live for enjoyment of life, and I enjoy my backhoe. It is easy to put on and take off, (the 3 point takes longer... if the stabilizers where pinned instead of bolted it would be faster).

I enjoy my equipment, it would probably be more economical to sell my small tractor (bx2660) and get a lawn mower, but I enjoy my BX, it is a handy little tractor.

Probably more economical to go out and buy an apple pie, but owning a stove, pie pans etc, and having a loving wife who enjoys baking me one is far more enjoyable. (I do love apple pie).

Sure, my BH92 spends a lot of time on it's cradle because I have other equipment mounted on my MX, but when I need a trench dug, need to remove a stump, need to clean out my canal, etc. I have the tools, and I enjoy using and maintaining my equipment.

For me, it is well worth the price, and I am having a bunch of fun with it.

M

Attachments

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
I had a BX2370 which didn't have a BH, so I traded it in on the BX23S. I have many stumps to take out and some wet spots that I wanted to dig a drainage ditch. I am very pleased that I traded and went with the BH on the BX23S. For me, this has exceeded my expectations. A bigger outfit would have made the job faster, but for me this has worked out well for our property size. I have taken out about 30 stumps already and looking forward to continuing to clean things up.

Good luck. Les.
Ricotter,
Your use sounds similar to how I am expecting to use the BH. Any estimate you can provide for how long it takes to dig out various size and tree types of stumps?
Thanks.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I find I use my backhoe on my BX25D more than any other implement, (except maybe the snow blower this winter!) great for planting trees, when I need to put in two posts, it’s easier than hooking up the post hole digger. I’ve used it to put up many buildings, using the thumb to move logs and unload a trailer full of railroad ties. Then there’s the 250 stumps I’ve already dug out. ....... I know I’ve gotten my $$’s worth out of mine.

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I find I use my backhoe on my BX25D more than any other implement, (except maybe the snow blower this winter!) great for planting trees, when I need to put in two posts, it’s easier than hooking up the post hole digger. I’ve used it to put up many buildings, using the thumb to move logs and unload a trailer full of railroad ties. Then there’s the 250 stumps I’ve already dug out. ....... I know I’ve gotten my $$’s worth out of mine.
Pretty close to what I have done with mine. I have done more things with the BH than I ever thought I would. The only thing I use more is the grapple. Of course they work together. I cut down the trees and move them with the grapple, and then dig out the stumps with the BH. ;)

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Pretty close to what I have done with mine. I have done more things with the BH than I ever thought I would. The only thing I use more is the grapple. Of course they work together. I cut down the trees and move them with the grapple, and then dig out the stumps with the BH. ;)
The Grapple is the most used front end piece of equipment. They do work well together. I have a place for my orange chainsaw, Grapple the branches, dig the stumps, move to the next one.

rlcotter

Equipment
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hi Stil190

It has been a learning curve, but much faster now that the start. Some of the stumps came lose quickly but the BX23S struggled to get it out of the hole. Generally, if I guessed, I would say about 3 to 4 hours. Some less and some more. Some of the smaller ones were worse than the big ones. I had a crab apple tree beside the house and I don't think it took 15 minutes. But if you can grab the roots a few feet from the stump and curl the bucket to snap the roots one by one, you are golden. It can be a bit messy, but for me, trying to pop the roots too close to the root, caused me to waste time. I hope that helps. But I agree with others on here, the BH is used much more than I thought it would be. With the mechanical thumb, I can pick up a decent log and take the chain saw to cut it up. I think you will be pleased with the BH.

Cheers! Les.

rlcotter

Equipment
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Here is a picture of the BX23S with one of the stumps.

I can't imagine being without the BH now. Great seat time!!

Les.

Attachments

DuckDog

Equipment
B2650
Jun 23, 2017
Laotto, IN USA

Les.

That’s pretty impressive with a BX!!! I’ve dug a lot of stumps with a decent sized mini excavator and it’s no easy task. Who says little tractors can’t do big work! Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana

Les.
Wow. Very impressive work for you and your tractor. It sounds like you would also add a thumb to the BH?

Thanks for sharing your experience. It helps a lot in making my decision.

rlcotter

Equipment
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hi Stil190.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. Yes, if you can do the thumb, I would go for it. I found it very handy to grab the stumps by the root and pull it out of the hole or give it a tug. Picking up a log for brush and on and on. It just brings another dimension to the BH. It can be a bit of a challenge at times to figure out where to position it to be able to pick something up, but for me, it has certainly added value.

All the best, Les.