Thinking about a 3901

dterry302

Jul 14, 2015
Florida
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have been looking for a new tractor lately and the 3901 seems to be what I want and in my price range. I have 6 acres to bushhog plus the roads and food plots at my hunt camp. Plus I'd be pulling a disc to cut my food plots and garden area. Would like to pull a 6' disc. My neighbor has an L4600 that I have run extensively and I'm wondering if the 3901 will do all of what I want. Will it dissapoint me since it is smaller than the 4600? I like the size of the 4600 just dk if the extra 3k is neccessary to upsize if the 3901 will handle my needs. All the help is appreciated. Thanks, Drew

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I guess you should ask yourself did the 4600 do everything you wanted to do and still have power in reserve? I would think the 3901 would do what you describe but keep in mind you can't stretch horse power. Small tractors can do amazing thing but at some point you'll reach their limit.

I used a M8540 a few weeks ago and I could tell a big difference between it and my M9000. Only 7 hp difference but several times it just felt weak. It's not that it wouldn't do the job it just pulled harder than what I was used to. My point is, on this size equipment 7 hp makes a difference. If you feel like you need more power then the extra 3K will be worth every penny.

DADL3901

Equipment
L3901
Jun 22, 2015
Huntsville, AR
dterry302,

I have 74 acres and 30ish in pastures, a half mile of gravel roads...an acre of road frontage to mow, rocky ground and clay.

I had a New Holland 1220, ~17 HP. It did everything, but slow and I had to contrive how to do some things. You're not going to pop a stump with 17 HP.

I struggled between sizes...just got an L3901 with FEL, 60" bush hog and box blade.

My first impression was, I got more than I needed! But it was very nice to flip 12" stumps out of the ground (with no digging), mow at lightening speeds and grade with a full box blade of dirt/rocks/gravel. It dug into the dirt, filed the FEL with dirt and rocks and the tractor lifted it with ease.

Second impression...wish I had gotten a bigger bush hog and box blade. The tractor would handle a much bigger bush hog easily. It would be harder to trim and trailer, but faster.

I believe the L3900 will pull any 6' implement.

So, it comes down to money...I'll never regret the extra power, but I would have been happy with a L2501 for less $$$.

My 2 cents

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have been looking for a new tractor lately and the 3901 seems to be what I want and in my price range. I have 6 acres to bushhog plus the roads and food plots at my hunt camp. Plus I'd be pulling a disc to cut my food plots and garden area. Would like to pull a 6' disc. My neighbor has an L4600 that I have run extensively and I'm wondering if the 3901 will do all of what I want. Will it dissapoint me since it is smaller than the 4600? I like the size of the 4600 just dk if the extra 3k is neccessary to upsize if the 3901 will handle my needs. All the help is appreciated. Thanks, Drew
I have an L3901 its my first tractor, i would recommend it. However if you are use to running a L4600. You might want to get the same model because you will be disappointed in its size vs the L4600.

RDL

Jun 10, 2015
Lowell,AR
I did the same back and forth between the hp. Decided to go more hp and went with the L4701DT and pull a 72" hog with no problem. Glad I did but for what I needed wouldn't want to go any bigger but glad I didn't go smaller.