The reality of selling a late model used Kubota in today's market.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought an MX6000 HST in February of last year upgrading from a BX25D that I'd owned for five years. When spring and summer rolled around, the much more capable MX with a 7ft rotary cutter meant that I could cut way more of my 20 acres than I'd done in previous years. Add to that cutting a friend's 12 acres and the big problem of dust and pulverized vegetation revealed itself. As pleased as I was with the MX open station it became apparent that I needed (wanted) a tractor with a cab.

In July of last year I ordered an MX6000 with a cab (HSTC) and added just about every option available. That tractor was delivered a few days before Christmas. So now I have two tractors and the "friend of a friend" who was going to buy the open station model is unobtainium. No problem, I'll just put it on Craigslist, which a did about a week ago. After going over the numbers from last February and subtracting the cost of some options such as top-n-tilt that have moved to the new tractor, I settled on $38.5k as being a fair price, perhaps not a great price but a fair price. The tractor has almost 102 hours on the meter, the 50 hour service was performed at 49.6 hours and the oil replaced with Schaeffer fully synthetic. The tractor purrs like a kitten, looks new, is still under warranty, and is available immediately. If you build the same tractor today with all of the options added you'll be a little north of $45k, and around here at least a six month wait and probably closer to 9 months. The January 1st price jump of around 12% has definitely increased the value of the MX, either for me or for a potential new owner.

I've received a number of calls from interested parties in Montana and other parts of the country and had two guys older than dirt come by to kick the tires. They hobbled, belched and farted most of the time they were here, but made one of the only two serious offers so far which was for $35k cash and I declined both. I've been told "if you want to think about it" but I'm in no rush to sell it and frankly wouldn't mind keeping it if I can get over the feeling that it's too greedy to have two such awesome tractors. I keep telling myself that I can add the backhoe to the open station and do my own concrete work for the replacement barn as well as numerous other projects. I know I'll crack eventually!

Anyway, this has been my reality so far. It's early days and we'll see how it all ends up soon enough.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I bought an MX6000 HST in February of last year upgrading from a BX25D that I'd owned for five years. When spring and summer rolled around, the much more capable MX with a 7ft rotary cutter meant that I could cut way more of my 20 acres than I'd done in previous years. Add to that cutting a friend's 12 acres and the big problem of dust and pulverized vegetation revealed itself. As pleased as I was with the MX open station it became apparent that I needed (wanted) a tractor with a cab.

In July of last year I ordered an MX6000 with a cab (HSTC) and added just about every option available. That tractor was delivered a few days before Christmas. So now I have two tractors and the "friend of a friend" who was going to buy the open station model is unobtainium. No problem, I'll just put it on Craigslist, which a did about a week ago. After going over the numbers from last February and subtracting the cost of some options such as top-n-tilt that have moved to the new tractor, I settled on $38.5k as being a fair price, perhaps not a great price but a fair price. The tractor has almost 102 hours on the meter, the 50 hour service was performed at 49.6 hours and the oil replaced with Schaeffer fully synthetic. The tractor purrs like a kitten, looks new, is still under warranty, and is available immediately. If you build the same tractor today with all of the options added you'll be a little north of $45k, and around here at least a six month wait and probably closer to 9 months. The January 1st price jump of around 12% has definitely increased the value of the MX, either for me or for a potential new owner.

I've received a number of calls from interested parties in Montana and other parts of the country and had two guys older than dirt come by to kick the tires. They hobbled, belched and farted most of the time they were here, but made one of the only two serious offers so far which was for $35k cash and I declined both. I've been told "if you want to think about it" but I'm in no rush to sell it and frankly wouldn't mind keeping it if I can get over the feeling that it's too greedy to have two such awesome tractors. I keep telling myself that I can add the backhoe to the open station and do my own concrete work for the replacement barn as well as numerous other projects. I know I'll crack eventually!

Anyway, this has been my reality so far. It's early days and we'll see how it all ends up soon enough.
These days, low hour, late model tractors do sell well for the reasons that you mention and/or imply. Still, private sellers cannot offer the financing that Kubota does, which usually means that the private seller needs to find a cash buyer.

I helped a close friend of mine shop for a MX6000 ROPS in November/Dec. He specified FEL, third function, 2 remotes, 6 rear weights, and a few other odds and ends. All quotes came in below $40K, the best being around $38, and the dealer had it in stock (since sold, I believe). Well aware of the first of the year 6% price increase, he decided to delay purchase for reasons having nothing to do with price.

Unless you are both very lucky and very patient, it is unreasonable to expect to sell your tractor for what you paid for it (or nearly so), even in this market.

SDT

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

I like your way of thinking!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
These days, low hour, late model tractors do sell well for the reasons that you mention and/or imply. Still, private sellers cannot offer the financing that Kubota does, which usually means that the private seller needs to find a cash buyer.

I helped a close friend of mine shop for a MX6000 ROPS in November/Dec. He specified FEL, third function, 2 remotes, 6 rear weights, and a few other odds and ends. All quotes came in below $40K, the best being around $38, and the dealer had it in stock (since sold). Well aware of the first of the year 6% price increase, he decided to delay purchase for reasons having nothing to do with price.

Unless you are both very lucky and very patient, it is unreasonable to expect to sell your tractor for what you paid for it, even in this market.

SDT
For the record, $38.5k isn't what I paid for the tractor. I have three rear remotes (factory), third function (factory) armrests, bucket level indicator, HD round back bucket with bolt on cutting edge (brand new bucket and cutting edge), and welded on bolt hooks. Add in a considerable amount of labor to install those upgrades and you'll be over $45k new.

For those that can find what I have for under $40k new and available I suggest you buy it .

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

I helped a close friend of mine shop for a MX6000 ROPS in November/Dec. He specified FEL, third function, 2 remotes, 6 rear weights, and a few other odds and ends. All quotes came in below $40K, the best being around $38, and the dealer had it in stock (since sold). Well aware of the first of the year 6% price increase, he decided to delay purchase for reasons having nothing to do with price.

Unless you are both very lucky and very patient, it is unreasonable to expect to sell your tractor for what you paid for it, even in this market.

SDT

102 hours, and for $6,500 less than new cost (Plus tax?)
In this market (totally crazy), in my opinion, that price is not completely unreasonable!
When demand is exceedingly high, and supply is exceedingly low, prices go exceptionally high, whatever the product!

I bought my private sale 2006 Kubota L48 TLB loaded with factory accessories, and only 251 original hours, just 31 months ago.
Every comparison I can make, indicates that today it is worth 30% + more than I paid.

I rarely use it, but........It's a keeper 'till I croak!
I ain't sellin!

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

What a great reality…not one but two MXs.

lots of opposing positions on what something is worth…only perspective I can offer: never, never confuse an asset with what someone wants to pay, unless you do not care if the money does more good in their pocket than yours. Don’t let the looky loos fool you…those old men came for a deal or just nosey. Right now any real asset is appreciating to the dollar simply from inflation. Next there is a big trend of people moving back out of suburbs…what do you suppose those folks need? I wonder what a dealer would list or sell it for on consignment?

Id be cautious to let someone who would not buy new last year tell you what the tractor that just had a first service is worth this year. I suspect they don’t have your best interest in mind. If you need to unload it that is a different thing than what is is worth today…very different. Orange and very other manufacturer raised their prices for a reason. The cost to deliver to customer and the value went up. The market will bear more. That’s it.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I wonder what a dealer would list or sell it for on consignment?
I would have lost $10k selling the tractor on consignment through my local dealer. I don't need to unload the MX so won't let it go for anything that I don't perceive to be fair. It's not my job to make make someone feel like they got an amazing deal. Seriously, at $35k they'd be laughing at me since they would have just saved $10k off the price of a new tractor.

Reactions: 2 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
You added a lot of options that add up to a fair amount, buyers may not want or see value in all those options, 102 hours may not be a lot but it certainly is used, warranty period is reduced. Selling private needs a cash buyer. I have been a buyer in this situation several times in the last 3 years. In each case I purchased a new machine cheaper (same configuration) than the used one I looked at. All dealers I have purchased from have offed some price incentive for cash purchases.

Certainly not diminishing the value of your used machine but if I was the buyer I would just buy new for the small difference and configure to meet my needs.

I agree that Kubota equipment holds it's prices well, but a buyer is going to want to be motivated to buy a used unit versus a new unit.

Good luck selling your tractor, I hope you find the buyer that wants that configuration and appreciates it's real value. The current price increase and lack of availability all run in your favor.

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Hard to say what this year brings, but every decent larger tractor I found advertised this time last year in MT was sold before I got to look at it. Good luck. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I hope I don't come across as complaining because I'm not. It's a buyer's job to pay as little as possible and a sellers job to sell as high as possible. As long as potential buyers are reasonable I have no problem with the back and forth. I told my friends at the dealer that I put it on Craigslist so that I can claim that it's not my fault that I had to keep the tractor! :LOL:

It will be useful this spring as I tear down the old barn and start on the new barn and driveway. I can hook up the dump trailer to the HST and load dirt and crap into it using the HSTC ... or the other way around ... decisions, decisions.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I have two tractors but one of them was 3k and is for mowing duty only.

I've seen alot of MXs on Facebook. A Cabbed model with 50 hours dropped to around 40K after being on there for 6 months. Maybe a scam...I don't know. I can appreciate a good used machine but I'm not going to blow 40K in cash on it. I'd rather finance it and not have all that cash tied up in something I can't sell quickly.

Craigslist is more or less dead in our area. Try Facebook or pay for a listing on tractor house and I bet it will sell. Emphasize the remotes and third function and eventually you will find the one person looking for those things. Good luck.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have two tractors but one of them was 3k and is for mowing duty only.

I've seen alot of MXs on Facebook. A Cabbed model with 50 hours dropped to around 40K after being on there for 6 months. Maybe a scam...I don't know. I can appreciate a good used machine but I'm not going to blow 40K in cash on it. I'd rather finance it and not have all that cash tied up in something I can't sell quickly.

Craigslist is more or less dead in our area. Try Facebook or pay for a listing on tractor house and I bet it will sell. Emphasize the remotes and third function and eventually you will find the one person looking for those things. Good luck.
Agree regarding CL, FB, and TH.

FWIW, one's first ad on Tractor House is free, or at least it once was.

SDT

Reactions: 1 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Not exactly the same... But October 1st I sold my 2004 B7510 for $13,100 it was $14,000 plus sales tax new in 2004. It had a pin on bucket loader and 945 hours. I had a bunch of offers for $10,000-$10,500 but the LX2610 I ordered 3 weeks earlier was not going to be in till late November-early December. When I got the high offer I figured I could be without a tractor for a couple of months... In todays market there are a lot of folks that for one reason or another either can't or don't want to wait for a new one to come in. I would say stick with your price I don't see the used market cooling off anytime soon...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The responses in this thread made me think about the sales tax implications. There is no sales tax in Montana so someone from a neighboring state might get an even better deal compared to buying new in states with relatively high sales tax rates. I'm not having to price the tractor to cover any sales taxes I paid.

I had a call from someone in Vancouver, WA this morning where there sales tax is 6.5%. They could realize a savings of $9,200 or more buying mine at the asking price. This is all subject to numerous variables but it is something to think about.

As a backup plan, I asked the local dealer to put me on the list for a backhoe.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You added a lot of options that add up to a fair amount, buyers may not want or see value in all those options, 102 hours may not be a lot but it certainly is used, warranty period is reduced. Selling private needs a cash buyer. I have been a buyer in this situation several times in the last 3 years. In each case I purchased a new machine cheaper (same configuration) than the used one I looked at. All dealers I have purchased from have offed some price incentive for cash purchases.

Certainly not diminishing the value of your used machine but if I was the buyer I would just buy new for the small difference and configure to meet my needs.

I agree that Kubota equipment holds it's prices well, but a buyer is going to want to be motivated to buy a used unit versus a new unit.

Good luck selling your tractor, I hope you find the buyer that wants that configuration and appreciates it's real value. The current price increase and lack of availability all run in your favor.
I understand your comments, but the retail car and tractor world is a VERY different place TODAY than it was over the "last 3 years".
Often, there may not be availability at any price!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The responses in this thread made me think about the sales tax implications. There is no sales tax in Montana so someone from a neighboring state might get an even better deal compared to buying new in states with relatively high sales tax rates. I'm not having to price the tractor to cover any sales taxes I paid.

I had a call from someone in Vancouver, WA this morning where there sales tax is 6.5%. They could realize a savings of $9,200 or more buying mine at the asking price. This is all subject to numerous variables but it is something to think about.

As a backup plan, I asked the local dealer to put me on the list for a backhoe.
You are asking $38.5K, and if a buyer had to pay 6.5% sales tax on that number, they would pay $9,200 more?
How does that compute?
6.5% x $141,538 = $9,200

Last edited:

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
^^ WA state is 6.5% and Vancouver WA is actually 8.5%.

I think the fudged numbers are the difference in purchasing new (with sales tax) vs purchasing lightly used with zero tax.

That person really wants the tractor because I would normally refer to those calculations as “Creative Accounting”.

There’s really only one decent Kubota dealer in the area and they have the local market stitched up pretty tight unless you want to go green. Speaking of, they are about 5 miles from the Kubota dealer and have a full lot and an empty showroom.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would have counter offered $36,500 with the old guy and possibly been done with the matter. You can wait a long time for a qualified buyer to emerge. Time wasting "tire kickers" are abundant. Good luck.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I previously lived in WA. I don’t think they tax tractors unless you buy them in WA. They do tax cars/trucks/motorcycles/boats, but those require a license/plate. If they wouldn’t have taxed MT residents, I might have bought one in WA.

Good for WA, they saved me from helping a WA business. :D

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I googled used tractor loan rates and came up with 6-8% and up to a 5 year term. With this information its easy to see the value of buying new with 0% Kubota financing. At the $38,500 asking price the interest payments over 5 years might be $10,000. The average American has little in savings. Most folks can do without a $38,500 tractor. Just a different perspective. No one mentioned eBay. Good luck.