the day is nigh

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Surprised I haven't seen the word "victrola" used yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Now, I'd be one of the old farts.....
And back to William's "As you like it"
The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose, and pouch on side,
His youthful hose well sav'd, a world too wide,
For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
Turning again towards childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound.

I like being an old fart. A goodie two shoes told my daughter at her wedding that a bunch of guys were out back and passing a joint. Her reply, "Yeah I know, my dad is one of them so what?"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Yes I read Billy boy,, never understood much of it though, I have also read Animal Farm, The Yellow River, A Brave New World, 1984, Huck Finn and bunches when I was in school.
It is a sad, kids to day have no idea what Moby Dick was about or even heard of it let alone the Old Man and The Sea. Ahhh well such is life, as we move boldly into the future forgetting the past, and are doomed to repeat it
Cleaning out the basement a couple summers ago I found my "required reading" list from high school. That's right, in the 50s and 60s we were given a long list of books that we had to read and report on if we wanted to graduate! All considered classics at the time.

So I've acquired a lot of the book on that required reading list since then...and I find I enjoy reading them much more now than I did away back then.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Cleaning out the basement a couple summers ago I found my "required reading" list from high school. That's right, in the 50s and 60s we were given a long list of books that we had to read and report on if we wanted to graduate! All considered classics at the time.

So I've acquired a lot of the book on that required reading list since then...and I find I enjoy reading them much more now than I did away back then.
Did the same several years ago. They were much more meaningful and enjoyable when not read to assist in memorizing a teacher’s interpretation and dissection of the book to aid in passing a test. Thought at the time it was similar to watching the beauty of a live animal v studying the minutiae of a dissected animal. Value in both, but I missed the live animal the first time.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You are starting to suffer from "old timers disease", your memory is failing😉. That was Jimmy Dean singing about "Big Bad John".
Dean may have wrote it...BUT Johnny Cash certainly sang it!

You must be older than I am... :ROFLMAO:

Only thing I remember about James Dean is he died in a plane crash...HOPE I got that right! :oops: Some kind of crash anyway...

EDIT: What do I know? I see that Jimmy Dean and James Dean are two different people! Never heard of Jimmy Dean...Learn something new every day. Forget something new every day too...

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
In September 1955, actor James Dean was driving his brand-new Porsche 550 Spyder to an auto rally in Salinas, California, when he was involved in a head-on collision with a 1950 Ford Tudor.

Jimmy Dean, a country music legend for his smash hit about a workingman hero, "Big Bad John," and an entrepreneur known for his sausage brand, died on April 11, 2016

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
In September 1955, actor James Dean was driving his brand-new Porsche 550 Spyder to an auto rally in Salinas, California, when he was involved in a head-on collision with a 1950 Ford Tudor.

Jimmy Dean, a country music legend for his smash hit about a workingman hero, "Big Bad John," and an entrepreneur known for his sausage brand, died on April 11, 2016
RIP Jimmy Dean...

Still like the Johnny Cash version of the song though, although both are VERY similar...

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
CD8BC24E-00AB-4CD9-BFF4-6DC880A8157D.png

He was a musical artist first, but his artistry working with pork as his primary medium created his most lasting legacy. He acknowledged that true calling in a local news station interview I saw as a teenager when he was playing in a celebrity pro am nearby. The reporter asked him how he made that seemingly odd transition. He said something like, “Well I can sing and I can make sausage. You might could beat my singing but you can’t beat my meat.” That was the end of the interview as they cut back to the studio as quickly as possible. That was pretty typical of him, at least in public (didn’t know him personally). Funny guy.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Its good but if you want to make good biscuits and sausage gravy, Bob Evans is the way to go