tg1860G surging idle

r4990

Equipment
tg1860G
Mar 13, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I ran out of gas and when I refilled and restarted, the engine was surging. It was so bad it wouldn't run without the choke on. So I drained the float bowl on the carburetor (I think I saw a little water) and blew out the fuel line back to the tank.

Now it runs OK but the idle still surges, so much so it almost stalls at low rpm. When running at operating speed, there is a hint of surge and some light popping sounds in the exhaust.

I don't see how trash would have gotten through the fuel filter but that is what it acts like.

Any other ideas before I disassemble the carb?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I ran out of gas and when I refilled and restarted, the engine was surging. It was so bad it wouldn't run without the choke on. So I drained the float bowl on the carburetor (I think I saw a little water) and blew out the fuel line back to the tank.

Now it runs OK but the idle still surges, so much so it almost stalls at low rpm. When running at operating speed, there is a hint of surge and some light popping sounds in the exhaust.

I don't see how trash would have gotten through the fuel filter but that is what it acts like.

Any other ideas before I disassemble the carb?
Does it have any kind of a mechanical fuel pump. If so it may be weak or failed otherwise likey crud in the carb.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
other ideas before I disassemble the carb?
Lay down some newspaper so you don't lose the small parts.
Mark any governor linkages and springs in the correct holes with a "Sharpie" marker so the throttle behaves normally after reassembly.

The surging typically indicates the low-speed circuit is fouled. It doesn't feed fuel, rpms drop, the governor relaxes, the carb flicks open to "high speed" throttle, it gets fuel and revs up, the governor kicks in and switches to low-speed circuit again and it starts all over...

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

With any gasoline applications that I'm having trouble with, I first give it a dose of Staron fuel treatment. Especially in equipment that has a tendency to sit around and go awhile before refueling. With Ethanol gasoline, certain extra things need to be done. Because Ethanol has a water attracting quality, you should always give a good shaking to your fuel container to remix the fuel so that any water molecules can be remixed within the fuel instead of collecting at the bottom of the container. "Staron" is a enzyme filled treatment that helps to displace these water molecules. I started using this stuff years ago on my boats and have since been using it for all my gas operated equipment and now have all but eliminated fuel and carburetor problems.

This may not be the answer for your particular problem, but this is something that anyone that has equipment that sits for any amount of time should consider.

Ron