Tg1860g quit working

skidd

New member

Equipment
tg1860g,l3010hst
Nov 5, 2016
5
3
3
MN.
Yesterday my mower quit working shortly after starting it. The motor made a loud sound and now turns over but no compression. I pulled off one of the valve covers and the rocker arms aren't moving when I crank it over. Is a broken camshaft common on these Kawasaki twins.
 

lmichael

Well-known member

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
858
441
63
Rockford IL area
IIRC they had a plastic cam gear and they would break. I'm not sure if/when this happens if it crashes a valve into the piston or not though I guess depending on the compression ratio and cylinder head design it's a definite possibility. However, I know the Kaw engine has a true issue with plastic cam gear. Apparently there is a metal one that supersedes the old plastic one
 

skidd

New member

Equipment
tg1860g,l3010hst
Nov 5, 2016
5
3
3
MN.
IIRC they had a plastic cam gear and they would break. I'm not sure if/when this happens if it crashes a valve into the piston or not though I guess depending on the compression ratio and cylinder head design it's a definite possibility. However, I know the Kaw engine has a true issue with plastic cam gear. Apparently there is a metal one that supersedes the old plastic one
Thanks for the information. Not sure if I'm up to tearing this motor apart to find out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

skidd

New member

Equipment
tg1860g,l3010hst
Nov 5, 2016
5
3
3
MN.
Well at the very least you'll have to dig in to replace that bad cam gear. Good luck
You were absolutely correct, the plastic cam gear failed. It also took out the water pump gear. The inside of the motor looks amazing. Very clean. Parts coming later this week. 749 hours.
 

Attachments

  • Like
Reactions: 1 users