TG1860 tranny filler cap

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Mustagg

Right to the point, eh?

That's a great question. Rightly or wrongly, I filled mine with the vent pipe that exits the top and goes up to the left, rear of the machine.

I couldn't figure out a good way to check the level of the fluid or fill it, but transmission was "slipping" and I have had a puddle in my shed where I park the thing, so filled it using this tube. Hint...use a temporary clear tube if you can....90w flows REALLY slowly and a spill could happen if you overfill.

Again...I don't know for sure if this is correct, but it's the way I handled it 2 yrs ago on my TG1860....This is the 2nd time in ~15 yrs I've used this method. My leak is very very slow.

Last edited:

Musstag

Equipment
Tg1860
Jul 26, 2021
Fairhope Al
Mustagg

Right to the point, eh?

That's a great question. Rightly or wrongly, I filled mine with the vent pipe that exits the top and goes up to the left, rear of the machine.

I couldn't figure out a good way to check the level of the fluid or fill it, but transmission was "slipping" and I have had a puddle in my shed where I park the thing, so filled it using this tube. Hint...use a temporary clear tube if you can....90w flows REALLY slowly and a spill could happen if you overfill.

Again...I don't know for sure if this is correct, but it's the way I handled it 2 yrs ago on my TG1860....This is the 2nd time in ~15 yrs I've used this method. My leak is very very slow.
Yes I was thinking of using that tube. The gear box has a filler plug.
but can't find one for the tranny. Have not looked under that metal plate under the seat. Do you think it's there?

Last edited:

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I've never looked under the seat, but the tube I am talking about (not guaranteed to be the correct one, you understand) will not/could not, be accessed from under the seat---it's nowhere near the seat.

If you were kneeling down, directly behind the mower, you can (barely) see the rear "fan belt" going to a pulley. The vent tube is to your left.

I can't recall now whether or not I removed the cover plate (4 bolts) or not....seems likely.

I am not at home now to look.

Other TG1860 owners will weigh in. I see you started another thread about the belt being off.

I'd start there ;-) <smile> (before messing with fluid)

I went with a belt, IIRC, 1/2" shorter than the recommended (Princess Auto/Harbour Freight ) and it drives much better than before (a lot less 'slip')

Good luck !

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
it doesn't have one.

well it kinda does but it's got a hose on it. U have to remove the plug and fill it there.

if no signs of leakage don't worry about it.

Musstag

Equipment
Tg1860
Jul 26, 2021
Fairhope Al
Is the TG1860 Diesel be!t drive ,?? There is no drive belt on mine, that I know of, one be!t goes to pto
from the motor. Mine has a metal drive shaft,
Which goes to a gear box which is just under the electric pto. There are pulleys above the pto,
With 3 groves, but only one little belt going to a rear tranny fan. That is the belt that came off.

Last edited:

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Is the TG1860 Diesel be!t drive ,?? There is no drive belt on mine, that I know of, one be!t goes to pto
from the motor. Mine has a metal drive shaft,
Which goes to a gear box which is just under the electric pto. There are pulleys above the pto,
With 3 groves, but only one little belt going to a rear tranny fan. That is the belt that came off.
Unless mine is different, this is the belt that drives your hydrostatic transmission. The pulley you speak of is "roughly" 1/2 way between the 2 wheels and what spins the hydrostatic transmission, yes (as far as I know)

Every time it comes off, I lose drive. This is also the box where (if you have a leak) you put 90W oil into.

Musstag

Equipment
Tg1860
Jul 26, 2021
Fairhope Al
Unless mine is different, this is the belt that drives your hydrostatic transmission. The pulley you speak of is "roughly" 1/2 way between the 2 wheels and what spins the hydrostatic transmission, yes (as far as I know)

Every time it comes off, I lose drive. This is also the box where (if you have a leak) you put 90W oil into.
Ok, I have one big belt going from pulley on mower deck to rear pto pulley, then belt on that same
mower deck pulley to spindles to turn the blades to cut grass.
then I have drive shaft from motor to that gear box w/ 90w oil. And a short belt on that 3 groves pto pulley to the tranny fan at rear.
I think power to the tranny is thru the gear box from the drive shaft

Musstag

Equipment
Tg1860
Jul 26, 2021
Fairhope Al
Ok, I have one big belt going from pulley on mower deck to rear pto pulley, then belt on that same
mower deck pulley to spindles to turn the blades to cut grass.
then I have drive shaft from motor to that gear box w/ 90w oil. And a short belt on that 3 groves pto pulley to the tranny fan at rear.
I think power to the tranny is thru the gear box from the drive shaft
I need to figure out the linkage from the pedal to the tranny

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
deleted

Last edited: