Testing glow plugs on l2500 1998

PECKERWOOD

Equipment
KUBOTA L2500 TRACTOR
May 12, 2013
BULL SHOALS, AR
Fuel and exhaust crud, slobbering, at connection of exhaust muffler and exhaust manifold. Think I should test glow plugs but do not know how.

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Sounds more like short runs, not allowing the motor to come up to operating temperature, that'd cause the slobbering... Glow plugs can be tested with an ohm-meter, or more practically, with an IR heat gun, by having someone glow the plugs, for the usual time, while you point the gun at the area, around them...:D:D

PECKERWOOD

Equipment
KUBOTA L2500 TRACTOR
May 12, 2013
BULL SHOALS, AR
Sounds more like short runs, not allowing the motor to come up to operating temperature, that'd cause the slobbering... Glow plugs can be tested with an ohm-meter, or more practically, with an IR heat gun, by having someone glow the plugs, for the usual time, while you point the gun at the area, around them...:D:D
Thanks for the suggestion. You nailed it. I have been using it for only lite and short time work. I have tried to keep the rpm`s at around 1500 and not leave idling. The problem is getting worse. I worry about a flame up. I will put the temp gun to each plug, just to be sure they are working. I will post the outcome. Again, thanks. I am 75, living on a set income and medical dementia makes it difficult to trouble shoot as well as I used to, so you sharper minded folks help is greatly appreciated. I love to tinker with my tractor.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
PECKERWOOD, if you can put an implement on the back and put it to work. You have a plow? Hook it up and offer to plow you neighbors garden. Or a box blade and do someone's driveway. Or a brush mower, and go mow a field!

Make it work, and it will run better and the slobber will be gone (or volume will drop considerably)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My l1501 was doing that when I first got it. Pops used to shut it down with the compression release, and it would see light duty work for short times. When i got it, I started using the shut down lever on the side of the tranny by the brake, and giving it a good work out with the bush hog, and then finish mower when I got that. No more issues :D She did smoke some till I worked the crud out of the exhaust :rolleyes: