Tar river attachments

BOOMROASTED

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Apr 22, 2021
Virginia
So, WR Long is in Tarboro, NC - been to the factory to get a replacement pin (no charge and they were happy to help me). Seems in NC there are several companies, some in Denton, NC and USA attachments in King are some that I've past by.

{EDIT} Now I wonder if USA Attachments are also just a Chinese company front... It looks more like just a warehouse.

I actually did some cotton and Soybean research tests within a mile (by the crow flies) of Tar River's Rocky Mount location. I might just run by there one of these days.... It doesn't look like a manufacturing spot.
That’s interesting! Do some detective work 🕵️‍♂️ and find out for us!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So, WR Long is in Tarboro, NC - been to the factory to get a replacement pin (no charge and they were happy to help me). Seems in NC there are several companies, some in Denton, NC and USA attachments in King are some that I've past by.

{EDIT} Now I wonder if USA Attachments are also just a Chinese company front... It looks more like just a warehouse.

I actually did some cotton and Soybean research tests within a mile (by the crow flies) of Tar River's Rocky Mount location. I might just run by there one of these days.... It doesn't look like a manufacturing spot.
I looked at the business address on Google Earth for Belco/Tar River Mfg and it looks like a receiving/holding location for shipments but no obvious signs of any manufacturing going on. It sure would be interesting to know what's there.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I wasn’t able to get the link you posted to open so I don’t know if this is directly relevant or not. I got the 72” Tar River grapple in the below pic when I bought my tractor. Have used it for moving brush, logs, rocks. Have used the bottom as a wedge to rip apart a railroad tie retaining wall to the point some observers (had there been any) might have considered it abuse. Have also used it for light root rake type work clearing trails. The bottom appears to be essentially indestructible. Overall, I have been quite pleased with it.

One thing that may be a negative or may be operator error (I now avoid it). If you look closely it the inside of the lid tines (may have to zoom in) you can see the gusset for the lid tines ends well short of the point. If you put lateral force on the lid tines, they will bend right below the gusset. For example, you grab the end of a log/tree to skid it backward out of a bunch of scrub so you can work it up; catching the end of the log by digging one or more tines works well, UNLESS you turn as your backing up. If you turn, that puts lateral force on the unsupported tooth and will bend the tine every time.

I haven’t had a problem with bending the lid tines since figuring that out. I have considered welding on extensions to the gussets, but just haven’t had the problem continue since I know a bit better how to operate it.

Other than that one thing, nothing but praise for it. It’s been a wonderful tool for me. Just a couple days ago we had two dead trees fall across trails that would have taken half a day to clean up with just a chainsaw and muscle. Minimal chainsaw work and 45 minutes with the grapple had the trails cleared. View attachment 64896 View attachment 64897 View attachment 64898
That looks remarkably similar to the RG7 grapple made by MTL down in Georgia. Took just over a week from placing my order to semi delivery at my shop.

Dan

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
That looks remarkably similar to the RG7 grapple made by MTL down in Georgia. Took just over a week from placing my order to semi delivery at my shop.

Dan
Yep. I notice the gussets on the lid tines extend further toward the point on the RG7 (as they should). Otherwise look like they came off the same line. I would have absolutely no criticism of mine if mine was built with the longer gussets like the RG7.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Does MTL actually make anything in GA? This is from the MTL website where a lot of things are "sold out".

"MTL Attachments offers some of the highest quality skid steer products made in the USA. We are located about 40 miles west of Atlanta, GA right off I-20. We stock a full line of skid steer attachments. We custom manufacture all types of attachments for tractor/ skid steer or any custom application.

Our Guarantee - We will have the best prices available for the highest quality attachments possible. We contract with one of the largest production plants in the US to manufacture the best attachments for the price, we then cut overhead prices, sales forces & advertising costs to a minimum to bring the ABSOLUTE best pricing possible. Our Quality vs Price can not be matched. All of our products will have a similar brand on the market - nationally known - that we can offer for less. We will continue to work on pricing and stocking levels at our distribution facility located in Waco, GA. with over 4 acres of attachments and equipment - we are a true wholesale to the public facility. We are a family owned, operated with over 30 years of expierience associated with fortune 500 companies."

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Does MTL actually make anything in GA? This is from the MTL website where a lot of things are "sold out".

"MTL Attachments offers some of the highest quality skid steer products made in the USA. We are located about 40 miles west of Atlanta, GA right off I-20. We stock a full line of skid steer attachments. We custom manufacture all types of attachments for tractor/ skid steer or any custom application.

Our Guarantee - We will have the best prices available for the highest quality attachments possible. We contract with one of the largest production plants in the US to manufacture the best attachments for the price, we then cut overhead prices, sales forces & advertising costs to a minimum to bring the ABSOLUTE best pricing possible. Our Quality vs Price can not be matched. All of our products will have a similar brand on the market - nationally known - that we can offer for less. We will continue to work on pricing and stocking levels at our distribution facility located in Waco, GA. with over 4 acres of attachments and equipment - we are a true wholesale to the public facility. We are a family owned, operated with over 30 years of expierience associated with fortune 500 companies."
I can't tell you where it was manufactured or exactly who built it but my grapple did ship LTL from Tallapoosa, GA.

As I learned "Sold Out" simply means they can't guarantee they can ship the product within 12 business days. When I first started looking the RG7 grapple was available in Orange and Black. A week later I went to place an order and Orange was sold out. Being impatient I ordered Black. Within a week Orange was back in stock. In other words they don't sell stuff they can't ship in a timely manner. My grapple arrived 8 business days after placing the order.

I got the valve mounted yesterday - now all I need to do is make four hoses and I will be able to give this thing a good test drive......

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
As I learned "Sold Out" simply means they can't guarantee they can ship the product within 12 business days. When I first started looking the RG7 grapple was available in Orange and Black. A week later I went to place an order and Orange was sold out. Being impatient I ordered Black. Within a week Orange was back in stock. In other words they don't sell stuff they can't ship in a timely manner. My grapple arrived 8 business days after placing the order.
Being "in stock" one week, "out of stock" the following week and then "back in stock" a week later is indicative of the fact that they're receiving shipments as opposed to building implements.

When did you place the order? Was it this year?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Being "in stock" one week, "out of stock" the following week and then "back in stock" a week later is indicative of the fact that they're receiving shipments as opposed to building implements.

When did you place the order? Was it this year?
Ordered last week of July this year and received first week of August.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Ordered last week of July this year and received first week of August.

Dan
Does it surprise you in the current climate of everything being back ordered that MTL apparently has lots of grapples in stock?

It's good that you're happy with the one you got and the fact that you received it so quickly after ordering. Anyone not wanting to wait for a grapple should be ordering from MTL.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Does it surprise you in the current climate of everything being back ordered that MTL apparently has lots of grapples in stock?

It's good that you're happy with the one you got and the fact that you received it so quickly after ordering. Anyone not wanting to wait for a grapple should be ordering from MTL.
Not really but that is precisely why they got my business. I just sent an RFQ to a local fabricator for laser cutting a few hundred pieces of parts I sell. Simple flat work out of 5/16 A-36 plate. Last order pre-covid was 6 weeks lead time. It will be interesting to see what the price and lead time is this time.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Not really but that is precisely why they got my business.
Dan
Yeah, you can order a Titan grapple from Walmart that is virtually identical to the MTL which is virtually identical to the Tar River. The Walmart one is also free delivery and it arrives by August 31st. Titan Attachments is known to be a Chinese import brand so I guess that answers my questions about these three "US made manufacturers".

Titan has a lot of grapples on Ebay also available within a week or two.

Titan Attachments Root Grapple Bucket 60" fits John Deere Tractor Loaders 49008269293 | eBay

Titan Attachments Root Grapple Bucket 60" fits John Deere Tractor Loaders - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

titan.jpeg

mtl.jpg

Last edited:

kcs

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Jan 9, 2021
Virginia
I was looking at a Titan rear blade for my B2650. Not sure if I want to go that route or get an LP

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yeah, you can order a Titan grapple from Walmart that is virtually identical to the MTL which is virtually identical to the Tar River. The Walmart one is also free delivery and it arrives by August 31st. Titan is known to be a Chinese import brand so I guess that answers my questions about these three "US made manufacturers".

Titan has a lot of grapples on Ebay also available within a week or two.

Titan Attachments Root Grapple Bucket 60" fits John Deere Tractor Loaders 49008269293 | eBay

Titan Attachments Root Grapple Bucket 60" fits John Deere Tractor Loaders - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

View attachment 64988

View attachment 64989
I see obvious differences in those grapples.

MTL is quite explicit - Made in USA - and they go to considerable length on the matter. The MTL grapple sports patriotic red white and blue decals and a big Made in USA label. Frankly that does not matter a whit to me but it seems to matter to MTL.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I see obvious differences in those grapples.

MTL is quite explicit - Made in USA - and they go to considerable length on the matter. The MTL grapple sports patriotic red white and blue decals and a big Made in USA label. Frankly that does not matter a whit to me but it seems to matter to MTL.

Dan
Many distributors of Chinese products will order them with slight differences, enough to make them look like they're not from the same manufacturer in China. This happens with watches all the time. Sticking a label on an implement or attachment that says "made in USA" is a very low bar.

There are way more similarities than differences between the two grapples shown above. Put a gusset in a slightly different place, add or remove a plate here and there. Small changes really.

I only know of two companies that are verifiably making implements and attachments in the USA. One is Land Pride and the other is Everything Attachments.

Can someone out there provide any data to show that MTL, Tar River, Titan etc are actually made in the US? Maybe adding the sticker is enough to make the US made claim.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Many distributors of Chinese products will order them with slight differences, enough to make them look like they're not from the same manufacturer in China. This happens with watches all the time. Sticking a label on an implement or attachment that says "made in USA" is a very low bar.

There are way more similarities than differences between the two grapples shown above. Put a gusset in a slightly different place, add or remove a plate here and there. Small changes really.

I only know of two companies that are verifiably making implements and attachments in the USA. One is Land Pride and the other is Everything Attachments.

Can someone out there provide any data to show that MTL, Tar River, Titan etc are actually made in the US? Maybe adding the sticker is enough to make the US made claim.
It took me about 10 minutes to discover that Titan Implements is a US manufacturer of agricultural implements founded in 2014 with two large manufacturing plants in Tennesse. Titan Attachments (Aka PalletForks.com) is a importer of foreign made implements. Similar names but two entirely different companies and product lines. One made in USA and the other imported.

MTL attachments is owned and operated by America Ideas and appears to be closely associated with West Georgia Equipment, a brick and mortar skid steer implement business located in Waco, GA and also on Highway 100. Certainly appears to be exactly what they claim.

If still concerned call the Tallapoosa or Waco Chamber of Commerce and ask them if MTL/WGA has a manufacturing facility in the state. I expect they will know.

In the mean time I will be trying to give the Made in Mumble MTL RG7 grapple a good field test.

Dan

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It took me about 10 minutes to discover that Titan Implements is a US manufacturer of agricultural implements founded in 2014 with two large manufacturing plants in Tennesse. Titan Attachments (Aka PalletForks.com) is a importer of foreign made implements. Similar names but two entirely different companies and product lines. One made in USA and the other imported.
I never referenced Titan Implements which I know is a US company. Neal at Messicks has made a video on this very issue. I specifically mentioned Titan Attachments only, a Chinese made product, and posted links to such which are remarkably similar to MTL and Tar River products.

I also found that the MTL website i.e. domain name at least is owned and maintained by Americas Idea Inc. Still not convinced that MTL isn't simply a distributor of Chinese made stuff.

My point in all this is that I want to know where stuff that I buy is made. My MX6000 is made in Japan and partly assembled in the US. I know for a fact that Everything Attachments grapples, box blades, toothbars and land levelers are made in the US. It's not important to you but it's important to me and perhaps a few others.

Good luck with your grapple.

Last edited:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I am sure that there are many US manufacturers; I can think of 2 without searching - Tarter (makes their own line plus Tractor Supply's County Line Brand) and Dirt Dog (my box blade is a Dirt Dog as my dealer did not have the right size LP box blade in stock). If you go to Tarter's website under their employment/jobs listings, one of the first things you see are multiple shifts for welders. Both Tarter and Dirt Dog are distributed through a dealer network, like LP; and therefore, you do not see as much internet/Youtube activity as you do with a direct seller. Dirt Dog makes all of their products including rotary cutters and tillers, and I believe the same is true for Tarter. Obviously, some components are sourced like all companies.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I never referenced Titan Implements which I know is a US company. Neal at Messicks has made a video on this very issue. I specifically mentioned Titan Attachments only, a Chinese made product, and posted links to such which are remarkably similar to MTL and Tar River products.

I also found that the MTL website i.e. domain name at least is owned and maintained by Americas Idea Inc. Still not convinced that MTL isn't simply a distributor of Chinese made stuff.

My point in all this is that I want to know where stuff that I buy is made. My MX6000 is made in Japan and partly assembled in the US. I know for a fact that Everything Attachments grapples, box blades, toothbars and land levelers are made in the US. It's not important to you but it's important to me and perhaps a few others.

Good luck with your grapple.
So we can add Titan Implements to your short list of two companies making implements in the USA. I would also suggest Homestead in Jamestown NY as well as Rhino and Bush Hog make implements in the US. Its a very comperitive business and probably some others if you look hard enough.

Up close and personal its clear the MTL grapple is built with some careful thought. Most noticeably the hose and cylinder protection is superior to most grapples in this price class. The hoses are routed inside the box frame and the only exposed portion is at the very rear if the sturdy and well built cylinder covers. I was also impressed when I saw the hoses are all high end Eaton and the flat face couplers are made by Stucchi. Not something you would likely find on a "cheap Chinese import". I am pretty confident it is built by US workers somewhere in or near Tallaposa just as the website claims.

But that is not why I settled on it. Three things that lead me to choose this grapple over all of the others including LP and EA:

1) I liked the design and HD build quality evident in the images on their website.
2) The price was considerably better than the competition
3) They could deliver their product unlike EA and LP.

My only concern is the weight. This is a HD implement built to grub and clear brush as well as lift loads. It would be perfect on a 50-60 HP skid steer but is pushing the envelope on a L3901 with LA525 loader. That's why I am anxious to get it in the field where I can evaluate that factor.

Dan

Attachments

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I am sure that there are many US manufacturers; I can think of 2 without searching - Tarter (makes their own line plus Tractor Supply's County Line Brand) and Dirt Dog (my box blade is a Dirt Dog as my dealer did not have the right size LP box blade in stock). If you go to Tarter's website under their employment/jobs listings, one of the first things you see are multiple shifts for welders. Both Tarter and Dirt Dog are distributed through a dealer network, like LP; and therefore, you do not see as much internet/Youtube activity as you do with a direct seller. Dirt Dog makes all of their products including rotary cutters and tillers, and I believe the same is true for Tarter. Obviously, some components are sourced like all companies.
Thanks. That's good to know and I'll certainly check out Tarter and will add them to my "buy" list. I will always buy a US made product over something from China if possible but in order to do that I need some amount of transparency. With the global economy many parts are sourced from all over the world so it's not always possible to buy a tool or implement that doesn't have something Chinese in it. I'm sure my MX has a relay or two made in China, along with lights, switches, maybe a sensor or two as well, but most of it is made in Japan and the FEL is made in the US.

I've been looking for a log splitter for a couple of years but don't want to buy any of the Chinese made models sold at places like Home Depot, Murdochs, etc. I found a US manufacturer and they're expensive but very high quality and once they have inventory I'll be ordering one from them.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So we can add Titan Implements to your short list of two companies making implements in the USA. I would also suggest Homestead in Jamestown NY as well as Rhino and Bush Hog make implements in the US. Its a very comperitive business and probably some others if you look hard enough.
Maybe MTL sources the grapple from Titan Implements. Here are two similar models from TI. I wouldn't be shocked if the only thing that MTL has made is a web page.

If it's readily available today and/or sold on Ebay it's probably not made in the US.

titan_implement_grapple.jpg

titan_implement_grapple2.jpg