M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD

BOOMROASTED

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Apr 22, 2021
Virginia
Looks good... have not heard bad things about them. Hey, if the price is right... I would go for it.
Got quoted $1500 for their 55” AR steel version, which I think is a good deal. I like the tooth bucket style tines on the bottom I’m not sure I’ve seen a grapple with that.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Got quoted $1500 for their 55” AR steel version, which I think is a good deal. I like the tooth bucket style tines on the bottom I’m not sure I’ve seen a grapple with that.
Looks good, but from the picture, doesn’t look replaceable. Teeth wear down, may not be a problem, just stating.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
They have a nice QA front backhoe attachment! I would love to see that in action! It may replace the stump bucket!:cool:

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Either Tractor Tim With Tim or Good Works Tractors had a Tar River tillers on YouTube and it performed well.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Is anyone familiar with this brand grapple, I’ve done my searches with no success. A local dealer has these in stock for an attractive price so I figured I would ask. https://tarrivermfg.com/tar-river-attachments/claw-grapple
I wasn’t able to get the link you posted to open so I don’t know if this is directly relevant or not. I got the 72” Tar River grapple in the below pic when I bought my tractor. Have used it for moving brush, logs, rocks. Have used the bottom as a wedge to rip apart a railroad tie retaining wall to the point some observers (had there been any) might have considered it abuse. Have also used it for light root rake type work clearing trails. The bottom appears to be essentially indestructible. Overall, I have been quite pleased with it.

One thing that may be a negative or may be operator error (I now avoid it). If you look closely it the inside of the lid tines (may have to zoom in) you can see the gusset for the lid tines ends well short of the point. If you put lateral force on the lid tines, they will bend right below the gusset. For example, you grab the end of a log/tree to skid it backward out of a bunch of scrub so you can work it up; catching the end of the log by digging one or more tines works well, UNLESS you turn as your backing up. If you turn, that puts lateral force on the unsupported tooth and will bend the tine every time.

I haven’t had a problem with bending the lid tines since figuring that out. I have considered welding on extensions to the gussets, but just haven’t had the problem continue since I know a bit better how to operate it.

Other than that one thing, nothing but praise for it. It’s been a wonderful tool for me. Just a couple days ago we had two dead trees fall across trails that would have taken half a day to clean up with just a chainsaw and muscle. Minimal chainsaw work and 45 minutes with the grapple had the trails cleared.
6D751589-EBC9-44C3-AC3F-CAC804EACDF4.jpeg
0F27626C-EAD7-4CC6-8F07-570DFACF7CA0.jpeg
7DF2B759-829A-4050-B4B3-646B616849A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That link worked earlier for me but it looks like they removed it from the website!

The grapple is like a big "C" - doesn't have the long tines on bottom. Semi-circle with a large clamping lid. It keeps the load very close to the tractor.
Worked for me too so that's odd.

If you put lateral force on the lid tines, they will bend right below the gusset. For example, you grab the end of a log/tree to skid it backward out of a bunch of scrub so you can work it up; catching the end of the log by digging one or more tines works well, UNLESS you turn as your backing up. If you turn, that puts lateral force on the unsupported tooth and will bend the tine every time.
Do the tines flex and bend back or do they remain bent? If it's the former I wouldn't have a problem with that.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This link works and so does the original link.

CLAW GRAPPLE | Belco Resources Equipment (br-equipment.com) and the original link now works too.

Seems that Tar River Manufacturing is owned by Belco Resources Equipment which "sources" from "specialty manufacturers" and they share the same address in NC. The 72" grapple mentioned above doesn't seem to be listed on Tar Heel's website or Belco's website.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Worked for me too so that's odd.

Do the tines flex and bend back or do they remain bent? If it's the former I wouldn't have a problem with that.
They bend back with a little help from a 12lb hammer. 🙄

They either need the gusset extended or you have to be careful not to our side pressure on them. Mine is a few years old so I don’t know if that’s still the way they make them or not.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@BOOMROASTED, it makes no difference to me what anyone else buys but if I were you I'd do a bit of digging on Tar Heel Manufacturing and issues with their products that they only import. I found some reviews on Google, one that's only a month old and the other a year. I'm thinking that Tar Heel Manufacturing is a front for Chinese made attachments. The reviewer assumes that Tar Heel is an American company making American attachments but I'll bet it's not. These reviews sum up the problem with products made in China but sold through a distributor network. No product support, poor QC, subpar materials etc.

Neal at Messicks did a video on this very issue recently.

(28) The business of imported Chinese implements. - YouTube

From a month ago...
"I am very disappointed with the quality of this product (JDCCG54). I am even more disappointed in their customer service. I purchased this attachment for my John Deere 3033R to move logs and brush around my property. I used this Claw Grapple for less than 4 hours when the middle tooth broke completely off. I immediately contacted Tar River and told them I would be happy to spend more money to get a stronger steel product (JDCCG55-AR for JDQA) to replace this unit. I was told I "...obviously abused this claw because it is dirty." I explained the excavator was digging in the dirt/mud, the lumberjacks were cutting the trees into logs, and I was only moving said logs from the work site. The logs, of course, were laying in the dirt. They were not interested in fixing and/or replacing the claw. I specifically purchased this product to support an American Made company, who, unfortunately, will not stand behind their product. My recommendation: purchase attachments from a company who will stand behind their products."

From a year ago ...
"I purchased a fork lift attacment. It is built so cheaply that the metal frame bends with minimal use on a 65 hp tractor. The forks won't stay on it and have fallen off in the air and nearly killed me. The local distributor wouldn't stand behind the product and the manufacture didn't even return my email. Been trying since I purchased it."

By the way, if someone here can show without question that Tar Heel "Manufacturing" actually makes anything and doesn't simply import Chinese products then please set me straight.

One of the tricks of picking a name for a shell company selling Chinese implements is to make it sound American and tough. Tar Heel Manufacturing sounds tough, rugged, American ....

Last edited:

BOOMROASTED

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Apr 22, 2021
Virginia
Thanks for the reply folks. I will do more research on the source of the grapples. It is odd that there isn’t many reviews for this brand, I’d hate to be a test dummy. They are being sold at a local tractor dealer (not orange) but they are the only ones I find in stock without a long wait time. I’m on a waitlist for a LP one but they aren’t even sure when they are coming at this point

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Tried the link in the original post again and got it to open. Obviously what I have bears no relation to that so sorry if I confused the issue.

I do know mine is branded Tar River. Whether Tar River is owned by Tar Heel or Belco or is nothing more than an importer of Chineseum junk I don’t know. Also don’t know if they’re still selling the precise model I have or not.

I do know after getting the link to open the construction of the one in the link v what I have is so far apart I don’t believe my experience is relevant.

BOOMROASTED

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Apr 22, 2021
Virginia
Tried the link in the original post again and got it to open. Obviously what I have bears no relation to that so sorry if I confused the issue.

I do know mine is branded Tar River. Whether Tar River is owned by Tar Heel or Belco or is nothing more than an importer of Chineseum junk I don’t know. Also don’t know if they’re still selling the precise model I have or not.

I do know after getting the link to open the construction of the one in the link v what I have is so far apart I don’t believe my experience is relevant.
Still good to see an actual review of a product from them. I believe yours is the brand I am looking at, being stamped with a TRA sticker on the side at least. I have a hard time reading certain reviews online, especially something like a grapple that could easily be abused and misused and the reviewer just lashes out at the company. Your review was helpful on the other hand, thanks! (y)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@BOOMROASTED, my apologies if I confused the issue. I like to know (when possible) where something is made and how it's supported once I buy it. It really gets my goat when a company pretends to be making products in America when they're not.

EA isn't for everyone and I understand the problem some have with paying up front for something that's months out, but EA is the only company I know of that gives video tours of its facilities showing American workers making American products. That's huge in my book, along with the fact that their grapples are among the best and toughest available.

I'd love it if there were twenty American companies out there all building products in America and making quality stuff because it would lower prices and possibly decrease lead times. Unfortunately that's not the case and a lot of implements and attachments are made in China, and most of those are not quality products.

BOOMROASTED

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Apr 22, 2021
Virginia
@BOOMROASTED, my apologies if I confused the issue. I like to know (when possible) where something is made and how it's supported once I buy it. It really gets my goat when a company pretends to be making products in America when they're not.

EA isn't for everyone and I understand the problem some have with paying up front for something that's months out, but EA is the only company I know of that gives video tours of its facilities showing American workers making American products. That's huge in my book, along with the fact that their grapples are among the best and toughest available.

I'd love it if there were twenty American companies out there all building products in America and making quality stuff because it would lower prices and possibly decrease lead times. Unfortunately that's not the case and a lot of implements and attachments are made in China, and most of those are not quality products.
I agree completely, it’s not just the sale of the product we need to worry about. It’s equal to the after sale part with support if there is an issue and also replacement parts. I would love to order an EA grapple but with the budget and short amount of time I have I can’t do the 22+ weeks of wait. I try to buy American made and even try to support small businesses rather than big box stores when I can because they are our neighbors. I agree we need more American production and people that wanna work it!

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
So, WR Long is in Tarboro, NC - been to the factory to get a replacement pin (no charge and they were happy to help me). Seems in NC there are several companies, some in Denton, NC and USA attachments in King are some that I've past by.

{EDIT} Now I wonder if USA Attachments are also just a Chinese company front... It looks more like just a warehouse.

I actually did some cotton and Soybean research tests within a mile (by the crow flies) of Tar River's Rocky Mount location. I might just run by there one of these days.... It doesn't look like a manufacturing spot.

Last edited: