Tach and Tires

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Anyone have a good source for a tachometer cable for my L175, they seem to be in short supply. Messicks and some others don't carry them unless I'm overlooking something.
Also, I'd like to get rid of the turf tires and replace with ag type. Guessing I'll need new rims as well as tires. Any suggestions on where to look for rims?

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
If you're looking for a dealer source try Stewart-Martin Equipment in Okmulgee, Oklahoma. Toll free number on their website. Talk with Pam in Parts Dept.

Outstanding customer service. I think they'll arrange drop-ship straight to you if they have to order it.

Not related to dealer, just a satisfied multi-buy customer.

Try one of the Kubota salvage yards online for rims. Personal recommendation is to go with R-4 instead of ag-type. West Ky Tractor comes to mind, also others by searching web.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a call.
I'm in the Texas hill county, don't think the R-4's would give me the traction I need. The terrain on my place has a 350ft elevation change from one corner to another, and the soil ranges from overburden that is slimy as all get out when damp to hard packed and loose caliche.
Since I'm only going to be using it with an FEL and no shredder (sold it, didn't need it) I'll have to water fill the tires and maybe ad a weight box.

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The tach quit on my L185DT at about 750 hours. It was the gear inside the tractor, not the cable. I believe it was a common problem. Anyway, I did not bother to fix it - the job appeared to be a royal pain in the butt.
When you go to the AG tires, make sure you get 6 or 8 ply in front for the load rating. And keep plenty of air in them.
There are many great threads on this site for ballast boxes. I'd go for 400-600 lbs. With the 185, I had dualies on the back with one pair filled, 210lbs/side wheel weights, and generally had the backhoe mounted while I was digging into the hillside. I had really great traction, and never a worry about stability.
I probably did more loader work than anything else with the 185. A single bucket doesn't look like much, but by the end of the afternoon you have moved a Lot of dirt! You are in for a whole bunch of fun...

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Looked at the engine side of the tach drive and it's spinning.
Got a new one coming. I do know the tach was working previous to the cable failure.
Tires, only planning on replacing the rears. Those turf tires are as useful as a screen door on a submarine up here.
For now I'm water filling them and hoping it's enough to offset a bucket full of caliche.
The bucket is the only thing I'll use the tractor for, got a 640 Ford for everything else.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
I looked into replacing the turf tires with ag tires on mine, so I could use it with a one bottom plow or a tiller. After pricing the wheels and tires, I decided real quick that I would never pay for the new set by plowing gardens locally, so I continue to use my WD with a three bottom plow for my garden.

A more cost effective way for you to go may be to get a set of tire chains for the turf tires you already have; plus the 13.6x16 turf tires will hold roughly twice the liquid balast the ag or R4 tires will.

The only reason I don't have a set of tire chains for mine is I would have to remove the mounting frame for the Woods mower to get enough clearance for the chains. Consequently, I use the WD and snap-coupler blade to clear snow in the winter.

Robert

Last edited:

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Turf tires don't do well in mud, at all.

On the plus side, tire chains for the 13.6x16 aren't all that expensive. I cannot remember just where I found them on the web, Miller Tire maybe?

Robert

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Not only mud, but dry caliche also.
I believe the tires may be originals from 1972. In any event they are dry and provide no traction what so ever. I can be on level ground let the clutch out quickly and it will sit there and spin.