T1600H Transaxle

canieadams

Equipment
Kubota T1600H, MF14, Snapper 1855A, Cub Cadet 782 and Ford 8N.
Apr 24, 2021
Virginia
Hello to all. I'm new to the forum and actually found you from a MTF post. Unfortunately I know little about Kubota other than I've always wanted one. Well, I got my wish! I found a T1600 on a government surplus auction and went for it and won. When I got it home I found the drive shaft U-joint had come apart and took a large chunk out of the front cover of the hydro. The remains of the U-joint and input shaft were laying on the deck. Very disappointing to say the least for a unit with only 295 hours. My feeling is that when it broke they parked it outside and let it sit for the last 20 years. I've not tried to start it (no key) but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Anyway, enough hot air. It appears I'm in good company in needing a trans or at least the front cover with shaft. Apparently this is a common problem with this unit. I saw somewhere that this is an Eaton trans which makes me think it may be used in other tractors but then I saw another comment where this trans is unique to this model. Any assistance offered will be most appreciated. Thanks to all.

Reactions: 1 user

canieadams

Equipment
Apr 24, 2021
Virginia
Unfortunately I didn't get much help here. Looks like I'll have to sell this rig for parts. The deck, even though there aren't any cracks, is not in good shape. Both outside spindles will probably need new bearings as well as the idler. Curiosity got the better of me so I spent another 6 buck and ordered a key which came in today. I hooked up a battery and it fired right up and ran like a top!

If anyone needs anything let me know and we'll talk about it. The engine I would like to keep intact and maybe even mount it in another lawn tractor. BTW, the key is brand, spanking new!

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
This probably won't help you much but it might give you an idea of what parts are involved.

https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

Click on ‘View Illustrated Parts’

Click on ‘I accept the Term and Conditions’ BOX then click on ‘open’

Enter your model – click on search

Click ‘OPEN’ next to your exact model or for Attachments click on ‘Local Options’

Parts list and diagrams will open in a new window

canieadams

Equipment
Apr 24, 2021
Virginia
This probably won't help you much but it might give you an idea of what parts are involved.

https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

Click on ‘View Illustrated Parts’

Click on ‘I accept the Term and Conditions’ BOX then click on ‘open’

Enter your model – click on search

Click ‘OPEN’ next to your exact model or for Attachments click on ‘Local Options’

Parts list and diagrams will open in a new window

Thanks for the info but I've seen these from a couple of sites. I believe I could get everything I need but the pricing is just absurd. Front cover - $1400, drive shaft - $300. I wonder if they join you in a cigarette after you order.

68FalconSC

Equipment
T1560
May 3, 2021
Stanwood, WA
You might start calling around to small engine repair places, places that do a lot of riding mowers and have a lot of junk mowers laying around. A lot of the small guy mom n pop places keep a lot of junked riders around for parts just like what you're looking for.

canieadams

Equipment
Apr 24, 2021
Virginia
You might start calling around to small engine repair places, places that do a lot of riding mowers and have a lot of junk mowers laying around. A lot of the small guy mom n pop places keep a lot of junked riders around for parts just like what you're looking for.
Good thought! I've found myself spending too much time looking behind people's houses and sheds while I'm driving around. I know, it's dangerous to not look where you're driving but I know that there's that pot of orange at the end of the rainbow.

canieadams

Equipment
Apr 24, 2021
Virginia
I really hate to scrap it with that little diesel engine. I'm thinking that with a little fabrication I could mount that engine in a different tractor or fit a different hydro into the Kubota. Anyone out there done such a thing? Love to hear from you!