Swap R4s for R1s, and wider fenders

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I finally got really fed up with my R4s, so I got some R1s to replace them. The actual on-the-ground tread actually went from about 13" to about 11.5", but the diameter went from about 40" to 45+", and the traction is way up!
Then, rather than try to fit my chains on the AGs, I bought 4 boxes of #14x5/8 hex-slotted sheet metal screws (#14 is 1/4" in diameter, with a 3/8 hex shoulder head). So far, traction in serious snow and ice is fantastic with no pulled screws - I'll keep you posted.
To keep the same general stability with the AGs, since the tractor became about 2-1/2" taller, I needed to space out the rears 2-1/2" wider on each side. So I wanted to space out the fenders to keep them over at least part of the tires. I bought about 6 feet of 1-1/2X2-1/2x3/16 rectangular tubing, cut and drilled them, and spaced out the fenders.
The 4th and 5th pictures should be swapped...
More to come.

Attachments

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
One of the fender mounting bolts had to be ground off, as it was not long enough to make it through the 2-1/2" tubing.
I still have to make a couple of special brackets to fit the fender to the foot rest.

Attachments

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Looking good gpreuss! I bet that's pretty frustrating to have to go to that expense and effort on a new tractor. Can't believe you have no snow!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I actually spent more time agonizing about tires than anything else when I bought the L3200. I got R4s for the load rating, which is enormous. But they just don't have the field traction the R1s do. Once I had the R1s, putting the sheet metal screws in them, and widening the fenders were just fun things to do! We just got about 10" of snow and I've had some good saddle time moving it around. Between the R1s and the sheet metal screws I've got terrific traction for the ice and snow.
I'm hoping I'll be able to sell the mounted R4s & chains to just about come out even on the $$.
Just by the way, if I'd paid the extra $400 for an L245DT when I bought the L185DT 35 years ago, I'd never have gone for the L3200. You have a really awesome machine! I was always just shy of enough horsepower.

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I put a ceiling in my barn, so I finally have a space warm enough to paint the wheel centers and finish the job of swapping the R4 tires for R1s.

With the larger diameter of the R1s the tractor would no longer fit in the barn. It was too tall by the height of the dome of the Kubota canopy.
I purchased a piece of 1/4" aluminum deck plate, had an industrial sheet metal shop bend it a few times, and all is now well.

I also am posting another picture of the rectangular tubing standing off the fenders to make them wider.

All is well that ends well.

Attachments

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
What a great job :)
I have been wanting to do the exact opposite with mine as the ag tyres just tear everything up too badly.
Wish we could have swapped, Id love to get R4's and offload my R1's ;)

I just got quoted $2300 for two rims and four tyres :eek:

Obviously thats not going to happen :(

Last edited:

chuck172

Equipment
L3200, ford4500tlb, ford8n
Feb 12, 2014
honesdale, Pa.
gpreuss, Is that a snowplow blade I see on the loader arms? You did say that was to be an upcoming project.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
gpreuss, Is that a snowplow blade I see on the loader arms? You did say that was to be an upcoming project.
Yes. I actually built it a year ago, using 3" angle iron and a SSQA frame from ebay. It does not angle - I felt it would end up way too far in front, and steering becomes problematic with a loader blade on a gravel drive. As long as you are pushing straight, it is terrific! I have a thread about it somewhere in fabrication.

I had to go to an industrial sheet metal shop to get the 1/4" aluminum deck plate canopy bent in 3 places. The press they have is about 12' tall and bigger than a 2 car garage. It took about 15 minutes - mostly setup - and they charged me $25.00. If I had to do the plow over I would just get a piece of plate and have them run it through the rollers to curve it. What I have is doing really well, however.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9445

I put another two pieces of flat bar to the cutting edge, as you can see in the photo below.

I use the rear blade for the bulk of the driveway, then pull/push the berms in the areas I need to clear. The driveways around here are well inclined. I do several for the old folks around me. I have grip studs in the front tires and currently #14 sheet metal screws in the rears. I'll probably go to grip studs for the rear as well, next year. My traction is awesome.

Thanks,
Gil

Attachments

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
What a great job :)
I have been wanting to do the exact opposite with mine as the ag tyres just tear everything up too badly.
Wish we could have swapped, Id love to get R4's and offload my R1's ;)

I just got quoted $2300 for two rims and four tyres :eek:

Obviously thats not going to happen :(
I'll still swap you even, assuming they'll fit - you pay the freight (both ways, naturally).

kubby 2013

Equipment
L2850, L3400, Jd 5103, MF 205 Ind., IH364, Jd 410 backhoe/Loader, Jd 350 Dozer,
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine
Where are you located? I would gladly trade my loaded R4's for R1's off my L3400.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
My R1s are a done deal, and the R4s are sold. I came out about even on the tires/wheels, lost about $200 on shipping - I ended up doing 3 orders in a fantastic mess-up.
I'm in Spokane, WA.
Mark at Tucker Tire (www.tuckertire.com - they also are on ebay, but you can work a better deal through Mark) will give you a heck of a deal on the whole works, tires, wheels & tubes all mounted up. Combining shipping on the lot saves big bucks. I went to 12.4x24 & 8x16, instead of the standard 11.2x24 & 7x16. Happy as a pig in slop!