Supporting your local dealer, and saving money

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Reading through the posts, it's obvious that a lot depends on the dealership. Mine is great- their prices are very reasonable, they bend over backwards to help, and they are our biggest sponsor each year for our youth group golf tournament. They work for my loyalty, so I give it to them.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Reading through the posts, it's obvious that a lot depends on the dealership. Mine is great- their prices are very reasonable, they bend over backwards to help, and they are our biggest sponsor each year for our youth group golf tournament. They work for my loyalty, so I give it to them.
A dealership like that is golden ;)

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
How large of a dealer? Those in populous areas might be able to offer bigger discounts because of volume. Maybe the closest guy loves his tractors more, or maybe he just doesn't have the volume to discount. So he loses business, so he has to mark up more because of limited volume, before long, your closest dealer is 350 miles away.

I only priced my Kubota from my closest dealer. I'm just not interested in "help" being hours away. He knocked a grand right off the top at the start, something I didn't really expect. This is a fairly rural area, there isn't much dickering on anything, be it tractors or cars or trucks. There just isn't the volume to stay in business with large discounts. Because of this, many have went out of business, reducing the local economy even more, cutting into the volume of those left as people make the drive because it's worth it.

That's great for the businesses in the populous areas, but really sucks when you need some little thing, and it's two hours drive, or three days shipping, away.