Sunshade canopy and towing

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
I just ordered an E1134 canopy with an E1136 mounting kit for my L3901. My only worry is can I leave the canopy on the tractor when towing it on my trailer at road speed? The mount looks stout but that is a big piece of fibreglass up in the air. Granted the canopy is curved on top so looks like more downforce than lift but a semi passes going the other way and thats alot of turbulence. Should I remove it for trailering?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I just ordered an E1134 canopy with an E1136 mounting kit for my L3901. My only worry is can I leave the canopy on the tractor when towing it on my trailer at road speed? The mount looks stout but that is a big piece of fibreglass up in the air. Granted the canopy is curved on top so looks like more downforce than lift but a semi passes going the other way and thats alot of turbulence. Should I remove it for trailering?
I have been a sailor all my life and have a health respect for the power of the wind. Further, during big construction projects I have been supervising, it has happened several times that a 20 foot high concrete block wall has blown down before the roof structure is added which ties everything together.

Try carrying a 1/2 sheet of plywood while standing in the back of a pickup. Before 20 miles an hour you will have lost the plywood.

Of course checking with the manufacturer is always the first step.

The curved on top design will act like a wing and be pulling up and also back from the aerodynamic drag.

In the end my advice is to not do it.

Can the fiberglass be removed from the metal support or could the metal support be made or already is, easily detachable?

Edit: I went to the manufacturer's web site expecting to see somei nfo about trailering but there was nothing.

I sent them a question about trailering so will post once I see their reply

Dave

Last edited:

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
I have moved many tractors over the years with the canopies. I Have always backed them on the trailer and never had a problem.
Good Luck Lance

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
Makes sense. I am mounting my LED lights up front on the canopy and one pointing downward out back. I think I'll rig my wiring so I can unplug a wiring harness up high on the Rops. I can remove the sail (canopy) and leave the frame in place. I can put the canopy in the back of my pickup and strap it down. Better safe than oops. Thanks for the advise.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
All I can add is a gal I know had her bike brake down and the loaded it on a trailer backwards,,, when they stopped for gas the windshield was gone.. The roof/sunshade would make a fine sail, my self I would take it off, the wind is not always your friend

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
All I can add is a gal I know had her bike brake down and the loaded it on a trailer backwards,,, when they stopped for gas the windshield was gone.. The roof/sunshade would make a fine sail, my self I would take it off, the wind is not always your friend
I too have seen this motorcycle disaster happen when a friend with a Vetter fairing, as they were called in my 1980 days, ripped off. You could drive 240 kph into the wind but on a trailer backwards, the fairing was often gone at 80 kph or 50 mph. It the wind was behind you, the airflow over the trailer-ed bike was much lower than your over the ground speed, but exactly the opposite driving 50 mph into a 30 mph head wind. Now the bike sees 80 mph net wind. So doing the same thing on two different days can produce two different results depending upon wind strength and direction.

Dave

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
I mount a nylon strap over the front of the canopy and attach it to the frame of the tractor. This keeps the canopy from lifting with the wind and stabilizes it enough that it is not bothered even at 60mph (that was going downhill). I try not to go above 50mph when the tractor is loaded now with the canopy.

TxBigRed

Dec 17, 2017
US
This is how mine was towed to my place, about 130 miles at hwy speeds. No troubles at all.

Dave

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
Big Red. That is a sweet set up. It looks like it did just fine. I would have mine on the trailer just the same. I don't plan on more than 35 miles to town if it needs to go to the dealer to ever get fixed and maybe to friends places to do little projects. Encouraged that it can be done. Thanks.

Attachments