Summer vs Winter Diesel

KenJ

Equipment
B7510HST / LA302 FEL
Dec 30, 2015
Terrace, BC, Canada
Having our first cold snap (-10C or 15F), went out to plow some snow and engine started acting like it was in fuel starvation and eventually quit. Read some of the posts here and realized I still have summer diesel in it which is probably gelling (fuel is cloudy). Question is, how do I fix it now? Can I just top up the tank with winter fuel or do I have to drain the summer out first(how?), is there an additive that will ungel it including what's in the lines & filter, I assume I have to replace the filter. Or if it goes above freezing will it ungel and run normally.
Thanks

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Having our first cold snap (-10C or 15F), went out to plow some snow and engine started acting like it was in fuel starvation and eventually quit. Read some of the posts here and realized I still have summer diesel in it which is probably gelling (fuel is cloudy). Question is, how do I fix it now? Can I just top up the tank with winter fuel or do I have to drain the summer out first(how?), is there an additive that will ungel it including what's in the lines & filter, I assume I have to replace the filter. Or if it goes above freezing will it ungel and run normally.
Thanks
go to auto parts store, truck stop, wallmart, KMart etc. and get diesel fuel anti-gel additive you can add to your fuel tank.

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
put it into a garage or other place where it will warm up. The fuel will ungel. Get some additive in there and mix it up (add some more diesel if you can.

You could emtpy the tank but the lines are gelled also. Get it warm- get it flowing

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Once you get it worked out,I would run conditioner in the fuel all winter even with winter fuel. These little guys are very efficient,and most do not run very many hours,so the same fuel is in the tank for extended periods.the shelf life of fuel is less Than most realize

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Kleen-flo is a very popular diesel additive.
Power service plus.
Truck stop type filling stations will carry a variety of products.
Around here winter fuel delivery starts beginning of october, so winter fuel isnt much of a problem for me.

Cottonwood

Equipment
G2000. F2560
Jul 15, 2015
Courtland, MN
Put it inside, let it warm. Then if you can find it add some #1 diesel, or even kerosene, it's just a cleaner #1. 50/50 will run at almost any temp, and if it doesn't get below 0 F 60% #2 will do. I have actually never had a problem with #2 when I started out with a warm tractor.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Power service Diesel 911 will help eat the ice out of the filter, long enough to get you to the shop. As others have said, replace the filter is the 1º thing to do, the water/fuel surface inside the filter is where the gelling starts...:D:D