Suggestion # 3

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Make it so when you open a thread you are taken to the first unread entry would be nice.
Thanks for listening.

E/S

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
On the same topic, I have a slight disagreement on how the site defines 'read' and 'unread'. I realize that this is a function of the forum software chosen. I have seen quite a few over the years, and this is certainly better than most. When I enter the site, it shows all messages dated after my last visit as 'unread'. This is good. But when I leave the site, all messages , even ones I have not had a look at, are considered 'read', which makes it difficult to continue a session if I have had to leave in the middle of it.

I'm a programmer and web designer as a hobby, and I can see how much more complex the record keeping would be to track each message thread, rather than just compare times. However, if this option is available, it would be nice to have it switched on, to show the all messages I have actually read or not read, rather than show only those read or unread since my last visit.

This is a fairly small issue in the global scheme of things, and I don't want to appear picky.

This is a wonderful forum and a great resource - keep up the good work.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Further on that topic, I just posted reply to the 'spellchecker' thread here, and ALL messages, even ones from today that I have not seen yet, have been marked as 'read'. Hmmm. This does not sound right.

Rusty46

Equipment
B7500 HSD-R, LA 302, RCK60-24B, Woods RB-72, Millcreek 25, Harrow, Payne PF800,
Make it so when you open a thread you are taken to the first unread entry would be nice.
Thanks for listening.

E/S
I second the request from E/S! I have been through all the user options/settings multiple times trying to enable going to the first unread entry, with no success. Every thread I look at starts me at Post #1 each time. This makes using this forum more time consuming and less useful.

E/S's request goes back to February. Is there an answer? Is it not possible for some reason? Is it being worked on? It is my understanding from other forums, that this feature is part of the base forum framework software. :confused:

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
...Every thread I look at starts me at Post #1 each time. This makes using this forum more time consuming and less useful.
Hm, I go to Forum then to Quick Links and then today's posts.
(If I was absent for some day's then of course the New Posts Link)
I scroll the list down und work it through upwards.

To go to that Answer you are interested in, click on the arrow next to the name in the Last Post section were the date and time is.

carl

Rusty46

Equipment
To go to that Answer you are interested in, click on the arrow next to the name in the Last Post section were the date and time is. carl
Carl - Thanks! :) That arrow gets me closer to what I am looking for.

I assume I will miss any new posts to the thread prior to the last post. However, in most threads, it should be easier to check for multiple new posts by going backward from the last post, than by going forward from the first post.

I guess I have been spoiled by forums on other sites. I would still like to go automatically to the first new post of each thread that I select.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
I guess I have been spoiled by forums on other sites. I would still like to go automatically to the first new post of each thread that I select.
Don't beat me up, but my opinion is, that these automatic things will make your life controlled my others. If you choose the automatic things in life you live the way others want! If you explore by your self, life is more interesting and you find things other don't want you to see. I refuse to buy things where I can not switch off automatic "helpers". Since years I hate new laundry machines, because they only give you "programs" but not what you really want. I could list up thousend little things in life...
Passwords are not stored in a browser, the are always between my ears! :cool:

carl

Rusty46

Equipment
Don't beat me up, but my opinion is, that these automatic things will make your life controlled my others. If you choose the automatic things in life you live the way others want! carl
I hear you, but in this case, I am automatically taken to either the first post of the thread or the last post of the thread, not to the first unread post of the thread (where I want to be)!

Rusty46

Equipment
Make it so when you open a thread you are taken to the first unread entry would be nice. E/S
E/S -The answer to your (and my) request already exists - at least when using "New Posts" and "Today's Posts". In another thread, stuart pointed out the [Down Arrow] to the left of the thread title for the first unread post function. Thanks, stuart! :D

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Ok
That doesn't help me when using Taptalk bit I will live with it.

E/S