Stump Bucket

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Yes, I've done it, but it didn't work that well. I've had better luck with a regular bucket and working 90deg to the trench. 375524A1-9FE3-4FAD-913B-4321256F3CBD_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I hadn't thought about using one for a trench. I might try it. I have one coming from CRI this week (well, promised this week).
My use is for planting 6-8' trees but I'd also be interested in hearing how effective it is at trenching.

Gordon Rob

Equipment
MX-5400
Apr 2, 2022
North Branch MI
I was really eager to buy the stump digger for my Mx-5400, to basically remove large brush—-until yesterday, when a previous user told me how they dig in with the slightest forward movement and severely bend the front end loader. This would cause major expensive repair. I’d like to hear from other users.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Well mine is in transit and scheduled to be delivered Wednesday. I think its like anything you put on the loader. Don't abuse it and I don't see how it can damage anything.
I have several trees to plant and no backhoe so this is a good option for me. I can also take a shot at removing some stumps I left in the woods when doing clearing last year.

DBigbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501
Mar 23, 2022
Alabama
I have one on the way too, looking to dig some small trenches to divert some water issues. Watching some of the videos out there,those guys are really putting that sob to work.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I just sold my stump bucket w/grapple to a friend. I didn't use it often since getting a backhoe. I had it for several years and transplanted a bunch of bushes and pulled quite a few small stumps with it. I did dig a 30ft or so trench with it once. It still beats a shovel but placing the spoil to the side is problematic since you need to straddle the trench. Digging between two buildings gets complicated.
They were really designed for stump removal using a skid steer and they do that pretty well. Small tractors with relatively light duty loaders can work but are much more easily damaged. If you have lots of small trees/bushes to move they work great. If you're buying one for trenching I'd look at other alternatives. 47A18F0F-2761-4BAC-90C1-A3A2E3E57060_1_105_c.jpeg

Hue

Equipment
Kubota L4060, box blade, stump bucket grapple, snowblower
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
I was really eager to buy the stump digger for my Mx-5400, to basically remove large brush—-until yesterday, when a previous user told me how they dig in with the slightest forward movement and severely bend the front end loader. This would cause major expensive repair. I’d like to hear from other users.
I've cleared about an acre with my L4060 and stump bucket. I stay in M-low, I could see getting into trouble in L-low. No issues so far.