Stump Bucket

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Does landpride make a stump bucket that attaches to a PFL1242 pallet fork?

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Thanks, I saw the one at GWT but I figured if I could just add onto an existing fixture I would.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
THIS will probably be about as inexpensive as any other option on your LX2610. It's listed as light duty, but I haven't hurt mine yet with my LX2610SU. I'm a lot more worried about hurting the tractor or FEl with it than I am about hurting that bucket. I've seen some stories of ripping out the bottom eyes where the SSQA pins latch it on, but if you tear out those holes, you're doin' it wrong anyway. The ones complaining about the bucket should be pretty happy that the bucket didn't tie the bucket cylinders into pretzels and rip the boom of the FEL right off the tractor.

There are two things I don't like about this bucket, though. The first is that the bottom of the bucket is nearly 4 inches higher than the bottom knuckles on the SSQA, meaning you can't run it level to slide under surface roots. The second is that it's very hard to see what you're doing with it because it's so narrow, but this seems to be a common complaint with all stump buckets.

I got mine on sale for just about half the price listed. I think they're trying to eliminate that model so that they sell more of the heavy duty buckets. If you only have light-medium stump work to do, this one works well.

Reactions: 1 users

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
THIS will probably be about as inexpensive as any other option on your LX2610. It's listed as light duty, but I haven't hurt mine yet with my LX2610SU. I'm a lot more worried about hurting the tractor or FEl with it than I am about hurting that bucket. I've seen some stories of ripping out the bottom eyes where the SSQA pins latch it on, but if you tear out those holes, you're doin' it wrong anyway. The ones complaining about the bucket should be pretty happy that the bucket didn't tie the bucket cylinders into pretzels and rip the boom of the FEL right off the tractor.

There are two things I don't like about this bucket, though. The first is that the bottom of the bucket is nearly 4 inches higher than the bottom knuckles on the SSQA, meaning you can't run it level to slide under surface roots. The second is that it's very hard to see what you're doing with it because it's so narrow, but this seems to be a common complaint with all stump buckets.

I got mine on sale for just about half the price listed. I think they're trying to eliminate that model so that they sell more of the heavy duty buckets. If you only have light-medium stump work to do, this one works well.
Thanks, that was another one that I was considering. I don't believe I will need a heavy duty model as I'm only taking out saplings and maybe a little bigger and then plan on using the bucket to dig holes for new trees/shrubs elsewhere.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have the artillian stump bucket. It's prob the smallest of the bunch which i think is a good thing for small tractors. I welded it to a blank SSQA plate (titan). The bucket is around $300 and the SSQA plate is $100.

like Paint, when I'm using it, I'm more focused on trying not to bend the loader than anything else. It is great at planting holes for shrubs, digging out shrubs, and tree stumps that are less than 5", I prefer to just grind tree stumps.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I think advertising these as stump buckets is more a marketing ploy! I guess shrub remover doesnt sound so good! I think on large heavy tractors it works better? No matter how heavy the stump bucket is built I think the FEL arms are your weakest link.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
No matter how heavy the stump bucket is built I think the FEL arms are your weakest link.
Absolutely, the FEL components aren't going to stand up to being force in a direction they were never meant to go. Anything that sticks out farther than a standard bucket is going to be exceeding the strength of the cylinders and boom. You're more likely to bend or break a cylinder rod before hurting the boom too much, but once one breaks, all bets are off for twisting a boom. I've already paid for mine once, and rather than have to buy a new one, I'll just take smaller bites and enjoy the ride a little longer. FYI, pallet forks pose a real danger as well. NEVER EVER drag the points of pallet forks for the same reason. Lifting the front of the tractor with pallet forks is a good way to bend your bucket cylinders. The bucket motion is not designed to defy gravity in the pushing direction. They're not digging tools either. They're meant to stab through and empty hole under things that you want to pick up. That's it.

You're not going to be lifting huge loads with a stump bucket because they're typically narrow and shallow and more designed for tearing up roots and 'pinpoint' digging, so there's no real concern about lifting whatever you dig up with it. Unless it's an enormous rock. I have not and will not put bucket hooks on mine, and RARELY tie anything to it unless it's just an awkward stump that doesn't want to stay on the bucket when I'm transporting it. There isn't much point in having an FEL attachment that will break your FEL before it breaks. I haven't seen a broken FEL yet that wasn't operator error or neglect. I'd much rather bend that bucket which I can beat on with a hammer to get it usable again, or maybe a little welding to fix a crack. It's a lot cheaper than a new FEL. Once you bend or break a component of the FEL, you'll never have full rating out of it again. It will break easier next time. Always try to make sure you're curling up anytime you're applying force with the bucket cylinders. Lift with the boom a little after getting it stuck under a root, and those teeth on the edges will shred a root as it drags out. The point is sharp, and those teeth will draw blood if you bump your shin on it.

Besides all that, it looks absolutely vicious on the front of the tractor.:D

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
just dont load it laterally. I dont worry about bending anything, you'll hit the pressure relief before bending anything (in my experience).

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I wound up ordering the GWT stump bucket, it should be here in 6-8 weeks. Just in time for spring.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
awesome please let us know how you end up liking it. that looks like a great bucket. If I break my artillian that will be the next one I buy

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I finally used the GWT Stump Wrecker for the first time today to dig up some old shrubs. It worked real well. The only issue which seems to be applicable to all brands is that it is damn near impossible to see just where you are digging. I'm sure plenty of practice will help with that. This one is only 18" long so it doesn't dig as deep as others but also does not allow for as much stress either.