Stump Bucket/Grapple good for B2650 cab

thedog69

May 5, 2022
USA
First post here. I have a new to me B2650 Cab model with SSQA loader, it is my first tractor. I need (want if you ask the wife) a stump bucket and grapple to clear ~4 acres. So I thought why not just get the two together as one implement.

The closest Stump/grapple to fitting my tractor I was able to find is this (Titan Mini Skid steer Stump Bucket) one. It's made for a mini skid steer, the type that you stand up on to operate. The specs of these mini skid steers, Toro/Dingo's, seems relatively close to the B2650, though it is not apples to apples.

Of course (why would it ever be easy?) this Stump/grapple has a toro/dingo style connector, so I would need to buy the unit, cut off its connector, and weld it to something like this (SSQA universal mounting plate).

The Stump/grapple weighs ~250 lbs and the mounting plate is ~60 lbs.

Some questions:

1. Are there any other Stump/grapples that I missed that would be a better fit for a B2650?

2. Does this seem like a bad idea? the implement would weigh 300 lbs +, is this too much for the tractor? Most of the trees ill be clearing are smaller (<10" diameter cedars), and I will mostly be moving brush around with the grapple.

Any other thoughts, or things I should be considering?

Thanks!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
maybe correct the thread title to get more answers?

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. Are you sure you want to do the work with your machine vs pay a guy/gal? I think you may be asking a bit of your machine and I wonder that for the work (4 acres) that your have reasonable expectation of the machine and your time. I have a B and I would want to try an attachment Like that before I spent money on it. Maybe it depends on what the 4 acres (I am imagining brush and small trees between 3 and 8 inch diameter) you plan to clear look like gems the capability of the implement and the tractor combination. 4 acres to clear is a bit on the machine (time and capability of machine…with patience the B will do a lot). However if you have a friend neighbor or local forestry type that has a track loader with a mulching head on it that may be money well spent. Just my thought. Share a picture of the land so we can see get better idea. Have fun and be careful.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Artillian has a modular system with grapple and stump bucket attachments - might be cheaper than buying separate pieces of equipment.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Artillian has a modular system with grapple and stump bucket attachments - might be cheaper than buying separate pieces of equipment.

It’s maybe not quite the same but for my B I have artillian forks and a front hoe…my machine with my soil (and combination of my hilly property) really does not have the ass to do much with it…most certainly not for trees close to 10inch…could be operator error but I would not buy that front hoe again for my machine.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
It’s maybe not quite the same but for my B I have artillian forks and a front hoe…my machine with my soil (and combination of my hilly property) really does not have the ass to do much with it…most certainly not for trees close to 10inch…could be operator error but I would not buy that front hoe again for my machine.
You will not see me buying a stump bucket / hoe for my LX.

I was merely trying to answer the question about equipment; I have no idea about the OP's soil and vegetation conditions. The OP could be in sandy soil with bushes - would probably be fine, or he could be in hard pack clay with oak trees - not a chance in hell.

You already asked the right question about what he plans to do; therefore, I did not ask it again. Hopefully, the OP will respond with enough detail to get realistic advice.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
B2650, BH77, SG0660 grapple, pallet forks, Bobcat 60" box blade
Oct 5, 2021
For 4 acres of clearing stumps, I personally think this falls into the "Know when you still need to rent a mini-excavator" category.

I was talking to a friend who owns a small farm because I was excited about the new box blade I bought, and he told me how they had cleared a small wooded area and needed to remove the stumps so they could plant there. They used their tractor (don't know what he has, but it's bigger than the 2650) and managed to clear an acre over a couple days. They then had someone come in with a bulldozer and the remaining acres were cleared in under an hour.

You've either got time or money usually (or neither!).

If you're determined to do it with a tractor, I don't think any front-end attachment will do it. I'd go for the backhoe instead. I've seen pretty decent sized stumps removed with a backhoe with a quick attach bucket and one of those cutting blades swapped in to cut the roots. Still takes a long time though.

Edit: For removing stumps on my property of any decent size, my cousin has a full-sized tracked skid-steer with a grapple on the front, and that has the power and traction to dig in the lower part of the grapple and get in to rip the roots out. I have a grapple, but there's no way my 2650 has the power to do that.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
You will not see me buying a stump bucket / hoe for my LX.

I was merely trying to answer the question about equipment; I have no idea about the OP's soil and vegetation conditions. The OP could be in sandy soil with bushes - would probably be fine, or he could be in hard pack clay with oak trees - not a chance in hell.

You already asked the right question about what he plans to do; therefore, I did not ask it again. Hopefully, the OP will respond with enough detail to get realistic advice.
Right on. I am with you. I love my artillian forks I actually have not seen a better quality of design or welds in an implement. Artillian is great. I am sure the front hoe is fine but the full potential of will not be reached with my B in my land condition. 🥃

thedog69

May 5, 2022
USA
Was looking through my phone and I don't have any great pictures of the trees/brush that needs to be cleared. The soil is Oklahoma clay/red dirt, which is generally pretty tough, but I think my land has rocks a few feet beneath the surface, which has stunted the growth of most of the trees. The oaks only grow to ~20' tall, I think because their roots aren't able to go deep. I hired a guy to clear some of the trees with a skid steer, and they didn't seem to have many roots attached.

I think for my application, I would end up doing the smaller trees/brush with the tractor, and maybe renting a skid steer or hiring a guy to get the big stuff (or just leave most of it). None of the work that needs to be done really has a critical time preference, I think I'm ok with taking a little longer to do the work.

Those who have owned grapples, am I going to be giving up a lot of functionality with a stump bucket grapple vs a normal width grapple?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Based on your more detailed explanation of what you face, your equipment is overmatched - unless you plan to just make paths through bushes and saplings (even then very slow going). Your Kubota will work well to maintain the property once it is cleared.

If it were me, I would hire (they tend not to be rentable) a track loader with a forestry mulcher head (disc or drum) or hire/rent a bulldozer.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Forestry mulchers leaves no pile to deal with. If in an area where it’s dry and fire is not ideal or you don’t want the pile forestry mulchers chews it up down to the ground.

thedog69

May 5, 2022
USA
Thanks guys.

Do you all know what a reasonable price is to hire a tracked load with a forestry mulcher and operator? I assume they generally work on a day rate.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Probably expect to pay $400 - $800 per acre, but pricing varies widely based on location, the land to be cleared and what final product (how fine a mulch) you want.

A disc mulcher is faster, but the end product contains bigger pieces. A drum mulcher yields a finer mulch at a reduced speed.