Stuck bucket link pin, BL4690

manders

Equipment
LA4200, LA682 Bucket, BL4690 Backhoe
Oct 9, 2022
Central WA
Hello to all!

I have a BL4690 attached to a LA4200, and for the life of me cannot get the lower link (part #16) on the dipper to slide out.

I have beat on it, applied heat, beat some more, tried a big 'ol pipe wrench on the square end of the pin ... nothing!!!

The grease fitting (part #10) is missing, and I don't know if it sheared off and maybe the lower end jammed down onto the pin, but something is preventing that pin from moving in any direction.

Everything works fine, I just need to put a new bucket on there.

I appreciate the guidance.

Thank you.

MAnders.

Ton

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2022
MD
If you have a local welding shop nearby, consider taking it to them. They are probably well versed in similar operations, have the necessary tools, and will likely make short work of it. If you continue to beat on it, you risk making it worse.

WhitleyStu

Premium Member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
Indiana
If the pin has "crankshaft" wear pattern you will have to move the bucket and link, in relation to each other, to attain the proper alignment for the pin to be removed.

Reactions: 1 user

manders

Equipment
Oct 9, 2022
Central WA
If you have a local welding shop nearby, consider taking it to them. They are probably well versed in similar operations, have the necessary tools, and will likely make short work of it. If you continue to beat on it, you risk making it worse.
Unfortunately, I'm 25 miles of gravel road to the closest mechanic ...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Lift the bucket OFF the Ground…. so that it has nothing other than it’s own weight upon the pin. Grab the bucket by the Lower Lip…and alternately Lift/Wiggle the bucket while someone tries to remove that pin. Twisting the pin first using a pipe-wrench on the outboard portion of the pin (so as not to deform the pin which must slide thru the bucket/loader fittings) will help.
Keep us posted. Take pics and post them.

manders

Equipment
Oct 9, 2022
Central WA
Lift the bucket OFF the Ground…. so that it has nothing other than it’s own weight upon the pin. Grab the bucket by the Lower Lip…and alternately Lift/Wiggle the bucket while someone tries to remove that pin. Twisting the pin first using a pipe-wrench on the outboard portion of the pin (so as not to deform the pin which must slide thru the bucket/loader fittings) will help.
Keep us posted. Take pics and post them.
I will give this a try and let y'all know.

Thanks!!! 8-}