Stripped oil plug threads lower knuckle

kevinshelton

Equipment
M4900, B7100 HST, ZD1211, RTV-X1140
Sep 26, 2017
Center, Texas
RTVX1140 right front knuckle. The oil drain plug was over tightened and now the threads are stripped in the knuckle housing. Gotta get this thing repaired in an hurry because this is what my wife drives the grandkids around on. If momma ain’t happy nobody is happy. Any thoughts on a quick GOOD fix?

Connor

Equipment
Kubota B21, Farmall 200, Ford 9N
Dec 31, 2019
Morgantown, PA
I’m not sure if it will work on your application-but on a transmission plug someone stripped in the cast,
I had put a Helicoil in it for temporary fix.
grease your drill bit and grease the tap so it catches the metal shavings instead of them falling inside.

hope that helps some

Reactions: 2 users

Connor

Equipment
Kubota B21, Farmall 200, Ford 9N
Dec 31, 2019
Morgantown, PA
Forgot to ask-is it pipe thread or a straight thread with o ring seal?
RTVX1140 right front knuckle. The oil drain plug was over tightened and now the threads are stripped in the knuckle housing. Gotta get this thing repaired in an hurry because this is what my wife drives the grandkids around on. If momma ain’t happy nobody is happy. Any thoughts on a quick GOOD fix?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Helicoil and use a straight-thread plug with a seal.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Run to your local auto parts and get yourself a heli-coil. Simple permanent fix.

Dan

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
If you need it 'right now' there are oil pan drain hole plugs that go in the ruined hole and tighten up.
Like a rubber bung.
One of those will get you through Easter if that is the problem.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
That answer confuses me. Helical thread repair inserts always match the original thread.

Dan
Yes, and it will remove the stripped Pipe-threads (if that is what existed)…replacing them with new “straight” threads…. which will require an o-ring or copper washer to seal….. OR will seal a helicoil which is intended for mechanical strength….and sometimes does not properly seal fluids/pneumatics/etc.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes, and it will remove the stripped Pipe-threads (if that is what existed)…replacing them with new “straight” threads…. which will require an o-ring or copper washer to seal….. OR will seal a helicoil which is intended for mechanical strength….and sometimes does not properly seal fluids/pneumatics/etc.
If the strippef threads are NPT you use a helical pipe thread insert and tap and the repaired threads are tapered just as original. That helicoil may he a little harder tp get locally.

And just for general information American pipe threads can be either tapered (NPT/NPTF) or parallel (NPS/NPSF). Even harder to get taht locally.

Dan

1680809970960.png

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Besides not being locally commonly available, I don’t care for the fact that to install a pipethread helicoil… you must use a Straight-Sided drill bit…. but I “get-it” if that’s the preferred solution.

A solution I prefer would be to drill then tap it for the next larger plug. Here’s why: When I bought/was-gifted a 9N tractor the differential leaked all its fluid when the first time I used it the NPT drain plug simply “dropped out of sight” somewhere in the grass. (Suspect previous owner hadn’t tightened it and I didn’t bother to check it. I believe the plug was stripped because it would not accept a properly-sized replacement.

I went from a 1/2” NPT plug to a 5/8” NPT plug and never had another problem. (or maybe a 5/8” to a 3/4”…. I don’t recall exactly, I’ve slept since 18 years ago when this occurred.)

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Besides not being locally commonly available, I don’t care for the fact that to install a pipethread helicoil… you must use a Straight-Sided drill bit…. but I “get-it” if that’s the preferred solution.

A solution I prefer would be to drill then tap it for the next larger plug. Here’s why: When I bought/was-gifted a 9N tractor the differential leaked all its fluid when the first time I used it the NPT drain plug simply “dropped out of sight” somewhere in the grass. (Suspect previous owner hadn’t tightened it and I didn’t bother to check it.)

I went from a 1/2” NPT plug to a 5/8” NPT plug and never had another problem.
News flash - NPT tap drils are straight sided. You then have the option - usually skipped outside of a production shop - to use a taper pipe reamer to finish the hole. The exact same situation exists when using an STI .

Personally I macine and hand tap a lot of holes and I own and use taper pipe reamers because they reduce the torque needed to run the tap into the proper L1/L3 depth. You get a more accurately tapped hole AND greatly reduce the chance of breaking the tap. That is another advantage of STI taps. Broken taps of any kind are a machinist's nightmare.

Dan

Last edited:

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
Auto parts stores offer oversize oil pan drain plugs.
Self-tapping and available in one and even two oversizes.
Isn't that a decent "Good Fix"?
Good Luck!

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I'm not a fan of modifying from original, consider removing the left side plug and getting the correct size plug and thread restorer. A tapered wooden will get you out of the woods.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
News flash - NPT tap drils are straight sided. You then have the option - usually skipped outside of a production shop - to use a taper pipe reamer to finish the hole. The exact same situation exists when using an STI .

Personally I macine and hand tap a lot of holes and I own and use taper pipe reamers because they reduce the torque needed to run the tap into the proper L1/L3 depth. You get a more accurately tapped hole AND greatly reduce the chance of breaking the tap. That is another advantage of STI taps. Broken taps of any kind are a machinist's nightmare.

Dan
I “get it” Hokie…and I appreciate your comment…. but the average guy is not going to have the expertise req’d to properly utilize a tapered reamer without running the risk of over-doing it and creating a larger leak. The solution I offered utilizing std helicoil and an o’ring or seal is more likely to result in success, in my opinion.
Not every owner is a qualified machinist or equipped with the tooling to attempt the perfect repair.
I do agree that a more sophisticated solution is elegant.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I “get it” Hokie…and I appreciate your comment…. but the average guy is not going to have the expertise req’d to properly utilize a tapered reamer without running the risk of over-doing it and creating a larger leak. The solution I offered utilizing std helicoil and an o’ring or seal is more likely to result in success, in my opinion.
Not every owner is a qualified machinist or equipped with the tooling to attempt the perfect repair.
I do agree that a more sophisticated solution is elegant.
More horse puckey. You have expressed your peference - I get it. But stick to facts rather than inventing mythical problems.

You dont need a reamer for this job - that comment was in response to your silly straight sided tap drill comment. And as I said that step is commonly skipped even for virgin threading.

The NPT helicoil is readily available and no harder to install than a UN insert - drill just a few thosandths over, retap with the STI tap provided, screw in the insert using a little liquid thread sealabt and you are done. Its also easier than drilling and tapping a new larger threaded hole of any type and keeps things OEM. When installed with a liquid pipe thread sealant it produces the same pressure seal as the virgin pipe threads.

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
More horse puckey. You have expressed your peference - I get it. But stick to facts rather than inventing mythical problems.

You dont need a reamer for this job - that comment was in response to your silly straight sided tap drill comment. And as I said that step is commonly skipped even for virgin threading.

The NPT helicoil is readily available and no harder to install than a UN insert - drill just a few thosandths over, retap with the STI tap provided, screw in the insert using a little liquid thread sealabt and you are done. Its also easier than drilling and tapping a new larger threaded hole of any type and keeps things OEM. When installed with a liquid pipe thread sealant it produces the same pressure seal as the virgin pipe threads.

Dan
Your earlier response explains your animosity better:

That answer confuses me. ….Dan

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Forgot to ask-is it pipe thread or a straight thread with o ring seal?
The thread is a straight metric bolt thread with a sealing washer. They are approx 10 or 12 mm.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Are you sure its metric and not BSPP? Thats a pretty commonly used oil drain plug.

Dan

View attachment 99759
That is a really good question and I don’t think that you can get an answer…
I know that Germany uses BSPP plugs made to some DIN standard.

“What does the metric world use for piping?” is another question that is similar.

I gave up on trying to figure that out and just use whatever matches the threads provided

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That is a really good question and I don’t think that you can get an answer…
I know that Germany uses BSPP plugs made to some DIN standard.

“What does the metric world use for piping?” is another question that is similar.

I gave up on trying to figure that out and just use whatever matches the threads provided
Germany and parts of Europe are typically metric (DIN = Deutsches Institut für Normung eV). Asia and probably the majority of Europe is BSPP - legacy 0f the British empire.

Dan

Last edited: