Storage? Portable Canopy Garage, door is too short.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
ROPS on the B2601 has 2 fold-down options: 1. straight back, 90 degrees; 2. part way back, 45 degrees. At the 45 degree position it fits underneath all 5 of our garage doorways and still provides some ROPS.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Costco has one. It’s decent. L2501 fits in nicely. Holding up well. Don’t be me tho, thought I didn’t need to bolt down… wind storm provided some pretty legit entertainment, damn thing was like a kite in the yard.
As long as the tractor is ok..

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
i got one last year a 10x20 i left the front and back off so i could drive right through it. snow wasnt an issue, as i took the time to knock the snow off it every time it snowed. the spring wind however played havoc with it and its already got a few small tears in it from where the tarp was smashing off the poles. i just fold the rops and im GTG to fit in it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you could mount on top of a course of 8" blocks, that adds 8" in height. You WILL need lots of 'earth augars' to hold it down.

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I've had one of these over my BX for about six years. Stuck in the woods. A few tree branches penetrated, duct taped them up. A lot of very heavy wet snow and the framing has survived, I think having well staked prevents the sides from movement and collapse.
The cover/tarp is cheap compared to a real actual Cover-Logic. But for the price, combined with the oft holiday 30% HF discount, not a bad deal. I'll be gettign a new one this summer, just for the replacement cover/tarp.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I've had one of these over my BX for about six years. Stuck in the woods. A few tree branches penetrated, duct taped them up. A lot of very heavy wet snow and the framing has survived, I think having well staked prevents the sides from movement and collapse.
The cover/tarp is cheap compared to a real actual Cover-Logic. But for the price, combined with the oft holiday 30% HF discount, not a bad deal. I'll be gettign a new one this summer, just for the replacement cover/tarp.
You could even use the extra legs and roof bars to minimize the spaces between original bars couldn't ya?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I used some PVC pipe as purlins over the frame (attached with zip ties) and a plastic tarp tied to the ends of the purlins with zip ties instead of buying a new cover. It can be pulled pretty tight to eliminate flapping

Shelter logic actually sells the cover as a replacement part but included the ends which I did not need, cost was not low enough to want to buy it that way.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I used some PVC pipe as purlins over the frame (attached with zip ties) and a plastic tarp tied to the ends of the purlins with zip ties instead of buying a new cover. It can be pulled pretty tight to eliminate flapping

Shelter logic actually sells the cover as a replacement part but included the ends which I did not need, cost was not low enough to want to buy it that way.
Good idea with the pvc purlins!

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
You could even use the extra legs and roof bars to minimize the spaces between original bars couldn't ya?
I'd considered it but... The cover has pockets frame tubes slip in. To 'double up' I'd have to notch the cover and cut short sections of tubing out to make the joints. So far, the frame has survived fine.
To clear it of snow, I walk inside it with my big STHIL BR800 back pack blower and aim it at the roof, The pressure and vibrations shed the snow load. I used to hit with a push broom but that was a bit rough.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
If you add a couple 'diagonal' purlins/braces, it'll really help keep the sides from 'racking'. Over time the nuts/bolts magically get loose and no one ever snugs them up yearly.....

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
when my covers go I get the medium duty (Silver) tarps from HF and place them over the original cover. The sides of the cover usually hold up better than the top and this works fine. Maybe not looks so great but a cheap alternative to replacing the cover that you know will not last anyway.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
when my covers go I get the medium duty (Silver) tarps from HF and place them over the original cover. The sides of the cover usually hold up better than the top and this works fine. Maybe not looks so great but a cheap alternative to replacing the cover that you know will not last anyway.
I'd considered that but I was thinking the two layers would trap moisture and encourage pests nesting.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA

I used one for years at my old house. Replaced the top twice during that time mainly due to degradation than physical damage failure. My tips:
  • Keep it tight w/ extra HD bungee cords etc.
  • Was careful to knock the heavy snow off
  • I used two HD augers at angles on each down pole (like a boy scout tent might) and some of those big @$$ spike nails at opposite 45' angles on each base
  • I did place it against a building on one long side to help with wind protection though.

Worked so well that I even kept my Jeep in there for years with top off for summer.
AND I still have the frame above the garage here and was thinking about putting it back into service for some extra "stuff" that seems to accumulate behind my tractor shed... :p

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
if possible, toss a tarp over the 'real' covering material. It's the UV rays that breakdown the covering 'material'.

FidelBrut

Sep 9, 2022
Missouri
The point about the second layer of tarpaulin is correct. There is bound to be a problem with insufficient air circulation between the tarps. A friend of mine, when he helped me choose interior doors at https://belldinni.com, criticized my reasoning about the reliability of two layers of tarps for a canopy. On occasion, he rented out a good typical sewing machine for a small sum to me, which takes several layers of tarpaulin without piling it up. I am now sewing such covers that can withstand the fall of medium-sized branches. And thanks for the tip about using PVC pipe.

Last edited: