Storage On A Tractor - Kolpin Gear Basket 53360

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Looks great / well done. I really like the mounting solution through the rops…maybe I missed it but where is the bottle opener?😉
Lol. I do have one that came with my rollaway Husky tool box. I should take it off there (I’ve never used it) and mount it to the bottom of the bracket. But truth be told, I’m a simple domestic aluminum can sort of guy.

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Nice! My intended usage is the same as yours. Just day trips. I think my little Coleman cooler (from the late ‘80s, but still just low molded plastic) might?? fit like yours.

Looks like you have a decent sized tool box mounted directly to the right fender as well. That looks very handy. How do you like it there?

That toolbox holds a decent amount of 'Must Have' tools, shear pins, extra hitch pins, lynch pins, etc.....

But the best thing about it is that it makes a perfect Arm Rest. :)

Basket02.jpg

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Great write up my man!

Outstanding job on the bracket, it looks like it will last forever.

I am looking at options for a "tool box" as well....the backhoe complicates things though.
You think a backhoe makes it complicated, try a backhoe and a cab!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I suppose you backhoe guys have seen some of the ammo can mounting brackets that can be mounted to the ROPS? If not, that might be an option. They will hold a 50 cal can, maybe they can even be modified to hold a fat 50 cal can.
I have one. 2 problems though.

1. I put some chain in it and the constant vibrating ripped out the bottom of the ammo can. Said ammo can was probably 50% Chinese'ium so maybe that was a factor.

2. It sits so high that I have to carry a stool around to see into it. Hahahahaa....seriously though...it's a problem for the "vertically challenged".

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon

1. I put some chain in it and the constant vibrating ripped out the bottom of the ammo can. Said ammo can was probably 50% Chinese'ium so maybe that was a factor.

2. It sits so high that I have to carry a stool around to see into it. Hahahahaa....seriously though...it's a problem for the "vertically challenged".
I get the vertically challenged aspect. It’s a good thing the basket I put in is mesh. :)

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I suppose you backhoe guys have seen some of the ammo can mounting brackets that can be mounted to the ROPS? If not, that might be an option. They will hold a 50 cal can, maybe they can even be modified to hold a fat 50 cal can.

On my B, I plan on replacing the silly tiny little OEM plastic “tool box” with an orange (of course) plastic 30 cal ammo can. It’s probably 4 times the volume of the OEM offering.
Different problem here:
I have removed the ROPS/ roof assembly for easier use in my heavily wooded area.
Thus no ROPS available to attach anything to on my L48 TLB.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Different problem here:
I have removed the ROPS/ roof assembly for easier use in my heavily wooded area.
Thus no ROPS available to attach anything to on my L48 TLB.

1692473658947.png

:)

• Haha

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
VERY nice job and inexpensive too! I wish I had welding and fab skills. I wound up buying a BigToolRack and empty it gives me an extra 300 lbs or so on the back so serves double duty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
VERY nice job and inexpensive too! I wish I had welding and fab skills. I wound up buying a BigToolRack and empty it gives me an extra 400lbs or so on the back so serves double duty.
I didn’t realize that rack was so heavy. Shipping costs must be crazy high.

UnEasyRider

Equipment
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
I didn’t realize that rack was so heavy. Shipping costs must be crazy high.
My mistake...it's 300 lbs but you can add 600 lbs to the cargo area. Rather have that with my tools on the back for weight than my rotary mower which is useless to tow unless I'm mowing.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
My mistake...it's 300 lbs but you can add 600 lbs to the cargo area. Rather have that with my tools on the back for weight than my rotary mower which is useless to tow unless I'm mowing.
I took a look at the web site for the BTR again. Looks like it basically provided the carrying space of a work style SxS with all kinds of attachment points and brackets for tools with the ability to roll it around on hard surfaces when it’s removed. I saw there is even a FEL SSQA option for a three point hookup. I’ve never seen an adapter for that before. Looks like there are a large number of options and indeed it’s 300 lbs empty. It definitely has to be sturdier than I’d envisioned when I first became aware of it some years ago. Looks pretty handy.

If you feel so inclined, perhaps you could post a thread with pictures and info about how you use it?

I know the BTR has come up in conversation before in OTT, and the company owner occasionally posts special deals for us, but I think there’s only been a few reviews. @fishpick did one for us in the summer of 2022.

Last edited:

UnEasyRider

Equipment
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
I took a look at the web site for the BTR again. Looks like it basically provided the carrying space of a work style SxS with all kinds of attachment points and brackets for tools with the ability to roll it around on hard surfaces when it’s removed. I saw there is even a FEL SSQA option for a three point hookup. I’ve never seen an adapter for that before. Looks like there are a large number of options and indeed it’s 300 lbs empty. It definitely has to be sturdier than I’d envisioned when I first became aware of it some years ago. Looks pretty handy.

If you feel so inclined, perhaps you could post a thread with pictures and info about how you use it?

I know the BTR has come up in conversation before in OTT, and the company owner occasionally posts special deals for us, but I think there’s only been a few reviews. @fishpick did one for us in the summer of 2022.
I think it’s super useful albeit quite expensive. If you catch it on sale like I did it’s usually about $300 less and you get a bunch of accessories thrown in. Freight is included in the price.

The best thing is it keeps me for the most part from running back n‘ forth for stuff. You can keep everything you might possibly need right with you. So a real time saver for sure plus you have the free added ballast.

You can also put an additional 600 lbs in the storage area. The storage area is also a nice feature for sod, pavers or whatever.

When I finish buying another chainsaw and a few other things I might do a review for others. This is definitely a well thought out piece of equipment.

One last thing…the owner Tim is a super nice guy and a class act. He texted me a few times throughout the buying process ensuring everything was going good. Service like that is quite uncommon.

Being a family owned business many times you are talking to the owner and not even know it.

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon

On the aspect about the chain wearing the bottom of the ammo can, I wonder if a chunk of rubber mat in the bottom of the can would help? I’m cheap so my “raw material” is often something I can repurpose. I use road find semi truck tire mud flaps for my anti vibration rubber mat source.

UnEasyRider

Equipment
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
On the aspect about the chain wearing the bottom of the ammo can, I wonder if a chunk of rubber mat in the bottom of the can would help? I’m cheap so my “raw material” is often something I can repurpose. I use road find semi truck tire mud flaps for my anti vibration rubber mat source.
Thats really creative!…now tomorrow I‘m gonna be lookin’ for mats!🙄😂

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I added a piece of flat steel to the bottom of my tool box where my chain resides for that very reason.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Here’s the basket info, from one of the Amazon vendors. I paid $90 from Amazon in late July 2023, although I noticed immediately thereafter the price increased to about $106.

The basket itself is not very well built, in my opinion. The welds are only tack welds on the vertical “bars” (sheet metal actually) securing about 1/3 of the available cross-sectional area. Regardless I think it will work fine on the bracket I built, as that system will carry any real load in the basket.

View attachment 109575
One seller has it for $90

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
On the aspect about the chain wearing the bottom of the ammo can, I wonder if a chunk of rubber mat in the bottom of the can would help?
It actually pulled the little washer and bolt head through the bottom. I could probably use a Fender washer, or make a larger plate to make it stronger, and I might have to do that in the interest of time.

20230821_100922.jpeg

However, making a plate won't make me any taller. (unless i make plates for my feet)

Or dress like this.

1692627503061.png

Reactions: 1 users

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
It actually pulled the little washer and bolt head through the bottom. I could probably use a Fender washer, or make a larger plate to make it stronger, and I might have to do that in the interest of time.

View attachment 109768

However, making a plate won't make me any taller. (unless i make plates for my feet)

Or dress like this.

View attachment 109767
I know you have the technology to repair the box and/or make a pair of high rise boots. :LOL:

UnEasyRider

Equipment
Apr 14, 2023
Florida

View attachment 109768

Or dress like this.

View attachment 109767
Go with the Kiss boots...you be stylin' on the farm or in the woods!