Stop solenoid behavioral problem -- L5030

jjmellon

Sep 7, 2014
Lindsay, ON
One day last week my tractor wouldn't start. It cranks and begins to run, then dies after one or two seconds. With the stop solenoid removed, it starts fine. I tested the solenoid outside the tractor, and energizing either pin caused it to retract (as it's supposed to). I convinced myself that none of the safety switches were bad (e.g. PTO switch and HST accel pedal switch block the starter motor when on (which isn't happening), seat switch supposedly is bypassed if tractor is in neutral). So, out of ideas, I decided to replace the solenoid in case it had some erratic behavior. Unfortunately, the brand new solenoid behaves exactly the same.

I now paid closer attention to what happens when I turn the key. When I turn it to "On", the solenoid clicks once, then clicks again about two seconds later. If I then move the key to "Start", the engine won't even begin to fire. However, if I quickly move the key from Off to Start, the engine will start and run for about one or two seconds, then die.

So it seems to me that the solenoid is first being retracted in the On position, then released after about two seconds. This happens with the new solenoid too.

Any ideas what could cause this behavior?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
It is the solenoid timer, located under the instrument cluster on the right hand side.

jjmellon

Sep 7, 2014
Lindsay, ON
Thanks whitetiger. After reading what I could find about the OPC timer, I think you may be right.

Do I need to remove the instrument cluster to get at the timer?

jjmellon

Sep 7, 2014
Lindsay, ON
I did need to remove the front cover and unscrew (but not disconnect) the instrument panel to get at the set of five relays that are mounted behind it, but it was easy.

I've ordered the OPC Timer, and it should be in tomorrow.