Sticky brakes/ need advice

JWChavarria

Equipment
Kubota, L245DT, blade, brush mower, sprayer, spreader, aireater, roller, tiller
Apr 11, 2012
Muscatine, Iowa
:confused: Hello, long time Kubota owner, first time site user. I have a L245DT (1979). The brakes have been sticking on my unit for a long time. To the point where the right brake i had to remove the linkage and not use because it would no longer release, and the left brake still stays on to the point where the tractor will not roll freely. reading your guy's post's has inspired me to dig into the problem! But what could be the problem?, How far should i tare into it to find out? what should be my first steps?. Any advice? Thanks.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Lubricate all linkage joints first, even to the point of removeing them if necessary. If that does not fix it, then it's dissassemble time. I have an l235dt and the worst part is supporting the tractor and removeing the wheel.

JWChavarria

Equipment
Apr 11, 2012
Muscatine, Iowa
Lubricate all linkage joints first, even to the point of removeing them if necessary. If that does not fix it, then it's dissassemble time. I have an l235dt and the worst part is supporting the tractor and removeing the wheel.
Thanks for the reply, I have beeen through the lubrication route more than once with no effect. I know my problem is internal. The tractor for the most part is stored outside. Are there parts internally that could become stuck? what am i going to find when i break it apart right at the brake area? Is there anything i should especialy whatch out for?

JWChavarria

Equipment
Apr 11, 2012
Muscatine, Iowa
Will Do Vic, Thank-you very much, I will make that this weeks project!!

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I've been on since 2011 when I got my B7100, I post very rarely. But I am here a lot, I noticed over the last 3 weeks my brakes were stuck, doesn't really impact the tractors moving but I thought I should look into it. Left side was fine, right side was stuck, I could pull the pedal back but the rod would just bow. It was just like Vic said rust in the mechanism, I tried penetrating oil but it did nothing.

Off with the wheel, off with the fender, pull the cover off and there in my had are the shoes and the rusted lever. Rip it all apart, clean the rust off, lube everything, back together and works like a champ. Less than an hour, and probably 50 cents worth of shop supplies.

I get a lot out of the older posts here and just wanted to thank Vic and the others that post here for all the great information.