Starting problems....

Mike S.

Equipment
Kubota L3710
Oct 2, 2021
Woodstock CT
Kubota L3710 does not start when turn key, but lights, glow plug lights, other lights turn on. I can start it by jumping 2 leads on starter motor with key ON and tractor runs fine; turns OFF when I turn key off. I checked starter, put in new relay, new ignition switch, cleaned battery terminals. All connections and fuses are tight and clean. Any ideas on why it won't start w/key or things to try? Thanks, Mike S.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I will assume that when you say " jumping 2 leads on starter motor " that you mean the BIG red one to the SMALL one. This means that the starter is good.

The keyswitch (when turned to "start") simply sends +12v to that SMALL connector on the starter. You need to figure out why this is not happening. Most likely the problem is one of the safety switches. All of the safeties must be satisfied before the starter is allowed to crank.

It is easiest to locate a schematic diagram to find out what safety switches are in the circuit.
Then, using a voltmeter, it is a simple task to isolate the problem.

One way to troubleshoot is to clip voltmeter across each safety switch one at a time (wires still attached) If you measure 12v when trying to crank the engine THAT switch is the issue.

A 'quick -n- dirty' way I have used is to, one at a time, TEMPORARILY jumper across each of the safety switches (wires still attached) and try cranking engine each time. If you jumper a safety and the engine cranks, THAT switch is the problem.

I work on small engines several times a week. My basic electrical troubleshooting gear consists of a voltmeter and a 2 foot wire with clips on each end. I can diagnose a lot of problems with these 2 items.

Some of the safety switches may be:
  • Clutch disengaged
  • PTO disengaged
  • Brake pushed
  • Operator in seat
  • etc... Different machines have different switches

Last edited:

Motox116

Equipment
Kubota L3830
Oct 2, 2021
Woodbury CT
I am having a similar problem with my L3830 hydrostatic tractor. I was working for several hours today, tractor running great-then I turned the machine off for 5 minutes and when i tried to re-start it never would. The instrument panel says; HST Neutral. Everything lights up as normal but turn the key and nothing happens. I looked over the manual and went thru all the switches, everything is good according to the meter. The only switch i cannot find is the hst neutral switch, everyone says it's within the center instrument panel down low, to the left of your right foot but i don't see this plunger style switch! I spent a couple hours so far and i'm getting nowhere. If anyone has an idea where this switch is would be greatly appreciated. The tractor is a 2004 year. Thanks

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
To find the switch, maybe look online at a 'parts diagram' for your tractor type. They show 'stuff' kinda grouped where they physically are on the tractor, more or less. A Workshop Manual (WSM) 'should' have pretty pictures and great how-to-diagnose' but don't count on it.
Possible best source is another owner, of THAT tractor who HAS had the same problem,and FIXED it.

Mike S.

Equipment
Kubota L3710
Oct 2, 2021
Woodstock CT
I will assume that when you say " jumping 2 leads on starter motor " that you mean the BIG red one to the SMALL one. This means that the starter is good.

The keyswitch (when turned to "start") simply sends +12v to that SMALL connector on the starter. You need to figure out why this is not happening. Most likely the problem is one of the safety switches. All of the safeties must be satisfied before the starter is allowed to crank.

It is easiest to locate a schematic diagram to find out what safety switches are in the circuit.
Then, using a voltmeter, it is a simple task to isolate the problem.

One way to troubleshoot is to clip voltmeter across each safety switch one at a time (wires still attached) If you measure 12v when trying to crank the engine THAT switch is the issue.

A 'quick -n- dirty' way I have used is to, one at a time, TEMPORARILY jumper across each of the safety switches (wires still attached) and try cranking engine each time. If you jumper a safety and the engine cranks, THAT switch is the problem.

I work on small engines several times a week. My basic electrical troubleshooting gear consists of a voltmeter and a 2 foot wire with clips on each end. I can diagnose a lot of problems with these 2 items.

Some of the safety switches may be:
  • Clutch disengaged
  • PTO disengaged
  • Brake pushed
  • Operator in seat
  • etc... Different machines have different switches
Thanks --I'll follow up on what you suggest.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I am having a similar problem with my L3830 hydrostatic tractor. I was working for several hours today, tractor running great-then I turned the machine off for 5 minutes and when i tried to re-start it never would. The instrument panel says; HST Neutral. Everything lights up as normal but turn the key and nothing happens. I looked over the manual and went thru all the switches, everything is good according to the meter. The only switch i cannot find is the hst neutral switch, everyone says it's within the center instrument panel down low, to the left of your right foot but i don't see this plunger style switch! I spent a couple hours so far and i'm getting nowhere. If anyone has an idea where this switch is would be greatly appreciated. The tractor is a 2004 year. Thanks
I have attached a page from the WSM which has great photos in color of the switches (HST and clutch)

Dave

Attachments

WHATAMANUVA

Equipment
Kubota L3830, Kubota SVL 90-2, CAT 277B, Spartan SRT-XD 72", WOODS brush hog 72
Nov 29, 2021
Weston, MO.
To find the switch, maybe look online at a 'parts diagram' for your tractor type. They show 'stuff' kinda grouped where they physically are on the tractor, more or less. A Workshop Manual (WSM) 'should' have pretty pictures and great how-to-diagnose' but don't count on it.
Possible best source is another owner, of THAT tractor who HAS had the same problem,and FIXED it.
I have the same problem L3830 hst, the safety switch is under the floor board, left side opposite the throttle pedal I believe, my switch is good, still won't start

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The seat safety switch known as a “operator presence” switch (and on some models additional switches such as PTO, etc) …are not the ONLY switches/relays that may exist in the starter solenoid circuit. There may also be a relay to handle higher amperage to the starter solenoid.
I was surprised to find such a relay inside my instrument cluster…and also surprised to find Kubota wanted a ridiculous $70 for it. I replaced it with a common automotive 40A relay for less than $5 and problem solved. I discussed and photographed the solution here in THIS thread: FINAL solution in post #6 of the discussion:

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
I wish I paid more attention to these no start threads. Yesterday, I moved my L3710--everything worked as it should. At the end of the day, it would not start. Glow plugs, shut off valve, lights, etc all work. Not even a click on the starter. I tried bypassing the PTO and clutch safety switches (no seat switch) and nada. Of course, my multimeter must have died the last time I used it. Replaced the fuse and nada. Ordered a new one. Will be chasing wires this weekend. :mad: