Starting Problem

Prohen

Equipment
Kubota B1750
Jun 12, 2021
Idaho
I have a Kubota B1750 Tractor. Ran great all through the winter until it got really cold outside then would crank over but not start. Have been trying to start now that it is warm outside but still cranks over black smoke coming out of stack but wont start. Any suggestions?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What fuel do you have in it? Was it leftover summer fuel that wasn’t treated?

Prohen

Equipment
Kubota B1750
Jun 12, 2021
Idaho
What fuel do you have in it? Was it leftover summer fuel that wasn’t treated?
It was new fuel and treated. I pulled the fuel bowl twice and emptied and refilled before installing. Turns over fine. Black smoke emitting from the stack and it has a sucking noise that I don't remember hearing before.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Check your oil and see if it is milky, that sucking sound might be valves sticking. I hope that I am wrong, just throwing out a possibility. Water in oil can cause a milky appearance and might cause corrosion during storage. A compression test should show a valve problem.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you want to start doing your own troubleshooting you need to invest a few $ in a couple of tools.

First would be a 12 volt test light for less than $20 on line or at any auto parts place.

Test light.jpg

The first test you would do it to connect the alligator clip to the battery negative post.

With the key in preheat position, touch the test light tip to the end of the glow plug where the wire connects. Glow plug remains installed!

The test light should light proving power is reaching the glow plugs

Next, disconnect the wires from the glow plugs. Clip the alligator clip to the disconnected wires and touch the test light tip to the glow plug electrical terminal. You should see the test light bulb light up perhaps not full brightness. Do this for each glow plug with key switch in pre-heat position,.

If the test light reacts, you have established the glow plug is likely OK. Repeat for each glow plug.

If one or more Glow plugs do not react the same to the second test, one or more GP's is faulty

Dave

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
I would change fuel and air filters and make sure your battery is charged. Battery needs to turn the engine over fast. Black smoke is usually a lack of air but have also seen it be the fuel filter which was surprising. A fully charged battery is 12.6 or 12.7 volts after being off the charger for an hour or more.
Sucking sound? Maybe a plugged air filter or fuel cap vent.

Prohen

Equipment
Kubota B1750
Jun 12, 2021
Idaho
Check your oil and see if it is milky, that sucking sound might be valves sticking. I hope that I am wrong, just throwing out a possibility. Water in oil can cause a milky appearance and might cause corrosion during storage. A compression test should show a valve problem.
Not murky-a little black

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I have a Kubota B1750 Tractor. Ran great all through the winter until it got really cold outside then would crank over but not start. Have been trying to start now that it is warm outside but still cranks over black smoke coming out of stack but wont start. Any suggestions?
First, check your air filter, make sure it is not heavily restricted.
Move your 3 point lever to the Lower position, see if that makes any difference.
Does the tractor have a loader with a crankshaft-driven pump?

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Black smoke usually means a high air fuel ratio. Check the air filter and the intake system for clogging.

Prohen

Equipment
Kubota B1750
Jun 12, 2021
Idaho
Black smoke usually means a high air fuel ratio. Check the air filter and the intake system for clogging.
I checked the glow plug wires and electricity is going to them. Turning over real fast but still will not start. I also cracked the fuel inlet nuts and fuel was coming out. Doesnt seem to me an air lock.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Sounds like what happened to my B2410 one time. It was a mouse inside the air cleaner or the tube leading to it, blocking almost all air into the engine.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I checked the glow plug wires and electricity is going to them. Turning over real fast but still will not start. I also cracked the fuel inlet nuts and fuel was coming out. Doesnt seem to me an air lock.
Correction :I should have said high fuel/air ratio