Starting and seat

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Yesterday I had a real hard time starting til I sat on the tractor seat. I believe for safety you are always to sit on the seat to start. I have always started by standing on the side of the tractor, which I guess is a no-no. I am wondering why it would not start this time til I sat down, but would start before if standing?

muttbarker

Equipment
Kubota L4060 HST, Snowblower, FEL, Rear Blade, 60" Grapple, 6' Bush Hog, Forks
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
I often start my L4060 when I am outside the machine with no issues. Perhaps you inadvertently had the PTO engaged? It won't run if the PTO is engaged and you are not in the seat.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
My '86 B only requires that the clutch pedal be pushed in. Easy enough to do by hand.
If it is in gear and your hand slips your boots will become a minor speed bump.

Reactions: 1 user

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
My '86 B only requires that the clutch pedal be pushed in. Easy enough to do by hand.
If it is in gear and your hand slips your boots will become a minor speed bump.
THANKS ALL!!!! I know that the 4x4 lever might have been accidently. disengaged. Sometimes I wonder why I am stuck in deep snow, then I look at that lever. Often I take too long to check and start shoveling out prematurely.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
The B2601 doesn't have the # of safety switches that the 3 JDs had. Can leave HST in gear. Can leave park brake off. Can start from beside it.

Cannot start rear PTO unless seat is up.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
If it's an HST maybe the treadle pedal was not level, and you inadvertently bumped it when you went to sit on the seat to it's normal position, so it appeared as if sitting on the seat made it start?

I regularly start my L2501 when not seated.

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
I know my BX will shut off if I have the Mid Mower installed and running. Had me going the first time I did that.
I almost always start the BX in the garage standing beside it. That's when I do my walk around (pre-flight), check for problems and leakage.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I know my BX will shut off if I have the Mid Mower installed and running. Had me going the first time I did that.
I almost always start the BX in the garage standing beside it. That's when I do my walk around (pre-flight), check for problems and leakage.
Yea, the next few times I use the tractor I will try to start standing and If a no go I will try the sitting approach.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Yesterday I had a real hard time starting til I sat on the tractor seat. I believe for safety you are always to sit on the seat to start. I have always started by standing on the side of the tractor, which I guess is a no-no. I am wondering why it would not start this time til I sat down, but would start before if standing?
Did a little test yesterday. Tried to start with no throttle advance while standing. NO .GO Sat down...immediate start. Now that I think back this winter, I could get it to start standing only with the throttle way advanced. This is with block heater and many tries. Maybe the way open throttle overrides the seat sensor? Anyway, no more wasting time and starter wear. Will only start sitting!

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Did a little test yesterday. Tried to start with no throttle advance while standing. NO .GO Sat down...immediate start. Now that I think back this winter, I could get it to start standing only with the throttle way advanced. This is with block heater and many tries. Maybe the way open throttle overrides the seat sensor? Anyway, no more wasting time and starter wear. Will only start sitting!
Cont' Once warm it seems to start standing?