starter relay

TEM087637

Equipment
L3800
Aug 24, 2015
Whitakers
think i have narrowed my problem for the starter not disengaging down to the starter relay....does anyone know where it is located and what it looks like...thanks in advance

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
To get to the L3800 Starter Relay remove the steering wheel, rear bonnet, and meter panel.

A group of 4 electrical devices, and the starter relay is third from the left side.

Battery voltage applied between terminals 2 and 4; then ohm terminals 1 and 3 for zero ohms. (Starter Relay)

If you don't get 12V on starter terminal ST, it could be the starter relay. Or the 5A fuse to the relay, OR the PTO switch, OR the Range Gear Shift Lever Switch.

Before opening it up, I would check those other things first.

Hold on, I see in another thread that this is an HST. So instead of the Range Gear Shift Lever Switch, you would look into the HST switch (grounded side), and the Clutch switch.

Would be a good idea to update your equipment from L3800 to L3800HST.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Have you disconnected everything going to the starter except hot wire from battery?

Would tell you if it's something internal or an issue in the wiring

TEM087637

Equipment
L3800
Aug 24, 2015
Whitakers
yes and i have voltage on the wire going to solenoid even with key off so im thinking relay or key switch...really only things i can think of to make voltage continue to flow with key off

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Looking on the left side of the tractor, find the main fuse panel.

Right side of fuse panel, 2nd down from top, a 5A fuse marked Starter Relay.

Pull that fuse and you remove power to the Starter Relay. If there is still power to the Starter terminal ST, then the Starter Relay has likely failed pulled-in with the contacts shorted.