Starter problem

Mike smy

Equipment
Kubota l 185
Oct 26, 2022
Ohio
Hello new membe my OEM starter on my 185 went so I got a replace from a reputable dealer here in Cleveland ,installed it but now I have to try it several times before it engages I can hear the bending tr but the starter motor will not engage ,took it back got a replacement same issue does any know if there is shim required or an ancient Chinese secret it does start the tractor when it does engage but it takes 5 or 6 try’s turning the starter/glow plug switch thank you for any help

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Compare the new starter to the one that came off the tractor - number of teeth, distance from pinion to mounting surface, etc. Also try connecting a 12v positive jumper cable directly to the main post of the starter and shorting the smaller spade directly to the main post too. If the starter works consistently when doing that, the problem is poor connections somewhere in the normal wiring or switch.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may want to remove the starter and then look into the hole and see what the flywheel gear ring looks like. Is it clean edges and teeth or is it a mess. On the engine are the attachment surface clean and allowing a good ground path between the starter and engine.

My L185 will do a similar thing sometimes but always will turn on the second or third time. It almost always starts turning on the first attempt if the decompression knob is used so I assume the starter gear is sometimes hitting the flywheel. That is with a new rebuilt starter, new wiring harness, new switches (key, starting and clutch safety) and newish battery and cables.

You may want to see if you can get the starter to reliably engage with bypassing the key circuit completely.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I have to try it several times before it engages I can hear the bending tr but the starter motor will not engage
If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that the starter WILL WORK sometimes.... but often, the bendix just clicks without the starter cranking the engine.

This sounds like a problem with SAFETY SWITCHES not allowing enough current to the small connector on the starter. (Too much voltage-drop to the bendix)

To test this, all you have to do is use a jumper wire.
MAKE CERTAIN MACHINE IS IN NEUTRAL WITH BRAKE SET
momentarily jump from large connector on starter to small connector on starter.
If the engine cranks EVERY time you do this... your problem is SAFETY SWITCHES (and your old starter may not be bad)

Mike smy

Equipment
Kubota l 185
Oct 26, 2022
Ohio
Thanks everyone goin to pull off the starter to see if the nose and gear from old starter matches up and bench test reinstall and take a wire directly from the battery to tab on bendix eliminate two problems let me know which way to go thanks everyone again