Starter motor not turning L1501

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Likely bad ground connection, clean battery terminals, battery clamps, trace black wire to frame and clean connection to ground.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
When all else fails, wack the starter with a brass hammer.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Before taking out your hammer.......

Do you have repair battery cable ends

forum battery repair.jpg

forum battery cable end.jpg

Read through this thread.

Battery

If you do not find a poor connection somewhere I will be surprised.

Do you have access to a multi meter or a test light?

Dave

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
By all means clean all your contacts. Don't neglect the ground wire where it attaches to the tractor. If the tractor still won't start, do you at least hear a click when you try to start. That should mean the starter circuit is active and the starter relay is energizing. That will help narrow it down.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Verify that the crankshaft can move by putting a socket/wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt. Also you could try putting a short wire across the two starter terminals(big wire and the small wire), this will eliminate the ignition switch side of the starter circuit system. Key off, tractor in park/neutral, and someone sitting in seat with foot on brake.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Hi everyone. My starter won’t turn over. Electrical power seems ok and the dash lights dim when switch turned. Glow plug warming ok. Where do I start?
That’s simply not sufficient information to be able to help you.

Does the starter/solenoid make a “click” noise?
Have you checked for proper voltage at the starter terminals when the key is operated?
Have you checked your battery voltage?
Have you checked for voltage at the solenoid terminal when the key is operated?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Hi everyone. My starter won’t turn over. Electrical power seems ok and the dash lights dim when switch turned. Glow plug warming ok. Where do I start?
That’s simply not sufficient information to help you.

Have you checked battery voltage?
Will your battery illuminate the headlights while selecting “start” with the key?
Does the starter make a “click” sound at all?
Have you checked for voltage at the starter when the key is selected to start?
Have you tried using jumper cables directly to your starter? (Caution: be certain your tractor is in neutral.)
If you “dash lights dim”.... AND if your starter “clicks” then you have a locked starter or engine. If the starter does NOT “click” then you likely have a bad battery (insufficient capacity) or you have a shorted starter. (The jumper cables from a good battery directly to your starter should prove that last theory.)

Flips suggestion to “malletize” the starter is an attempt to dislodge a stuck solenoid. If you do that... “tap” the solenoid only....not the starter body itself or you may shatter the permanent magnets glued to the starter-case.

Finally, you can remove your starter and take it to a repair shop and ask to have it tested.

Last edited:

richard.graye

Equipment
L1501
Sep 13, 2010
Huddersfield, UK
That’s simply not sufficient information to help you.

Have you checked battery voltage?
Will your battery illuminate the headlights while selecting “start” with the key?
Does the starter make a “click” sound at all?
Have you checked for voltage at the starter when the key is selected to start?
Have you tried using jumper cables directly to your starter? (Caution: be certain your tractor is in neutral.)
If you “dash lights dim”.... AND if your starter “clicks” then you have a locked starter or engine. If the starter does NOT “click” then you likely have a bad battery (insufficient capacity) or you have a shorted starter. (The jumper cables from a good battery directly to your starter should prove that last theory.)

Flips suggestion to “malletize” the starter is an attempt to dislodge a stuck solenoid. If you do that... “tap” the solenoid only....not the starter body itself or you may shatter the permanent magnets glued to the starter-case.

Finally, you can remove your starter and take it to a repair shop and ask to have it tested.
Thank you. All above were checked and ok.I think its an electrical problem at the switch

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
The safe way to check it is to disconnect the connector at the switch. Put your VOM on ohms and probe the switch connector pins. Check for closed and open circuits per the wiring diagram for the switch.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Thank you. All above were checked and ok.I think its an electrical problem at the switch
Many questions asked above and few answers................
This is the most common repair..........
trace black wire to frame and clean connection to ground.
1. Get a helper
2. Make sure your tractor is in neutral !!! Brake depressed and pull your shutdown knob if you have one.
3. With (preferably) a volt meter or test light check voltage to small wire and large wire on starter to ground while helper is turning the key. If there is near battery voltage at both terminals while hitting the key, Switch and safety devices are good. If not it's wiring, switch, or relay issues.
5. Try jumping from one terminal to the other. There will be a spark... if it starts, the starter is OK and you missed something on the previous step.
If not it's the starter.

One step at a time....

Last edited: