Starter Issue

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Started last year, but only after the tractor (M4050) was warmed up to operating temp. If I shut down, when I tried to restart I could hear a dull sound of the starter trying to engage. After a few more tries, it would catch and start. Now, it's happening more frequently and happened yesterday when I tried to start the tractor cold. It seems if I hold the starter switch and/or quickly cycle it, the starter will eventually catch and start. The starter was replaced last year and worked fine for a few hours until the ''hot' start issue seemed to start. I initially thought it was the wiring for the gear safety switch, but again, I can hear the starter trying to cycle which eliminates the safety switch since the power would be cut to the starter. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Why was the starter replaced? I'd start with checking the battery, battery connections, battery ground to engine, ensure all are clean and tight not just tight. If the battery to engine ground is woven wire I'd suggest using a jumper cable from the battery and ground it at the starter motor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
According to TD , it's a mid 80s tractor ? If so when were the battery cables replaced ? If they're 'homemade', replace them as ANY corrosion will 'eat' away at the copper over time,from the inside out. If you can ,use larger(smaller #) cables .
If it starts fine by using a 2nd battery at the starter, it's either wiring or your battery.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Was only the starter itself replaced? (why?)

I don't know if your model has a solenoid closeby or mounted on the starter itself and it was replaced as well.

Generally speaking it sounds like a voltage drop issue. (dirty <electrical> contacts, <mechanical> connections opening up slightly due to heat,(now getting worse) etc.)

Could be battery cables, grounds or a failing solenoid.

Toyman

Equipment
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Had the head replaced last year and my mechanic had some trouble getting the fuel system primed to restart after getting everything back together. I think the original starter may have been 'overworked' during that situation. Once I got the tractor back, I installed new battery cables (+ & -) and cleaned a good spot to mount the ground cable. I will take a closer look at that connection next time I'm at the property along with checking the battery voltage before I start it. Attached is info on the starter from the WSM. Thanks for the insights so far.

Attachments

SonofOrange

Equipment
L245F with 1200 loader, T1870, AT70, GL-5500(S)
Sep 1, 2021
Monroe, GA
I added a relay to my old L245, the positive wire that fires the solenoid on it runs through the starter switch and all of the safety switches. Even after cleaning up all the connections the voltage dropped to 10.5v at the solenoid. This was not enough to reliably fire the tired solenoid. Run a hot wire through the relay and fire the relay with the wire that would have fired the solenoid. Easy fix, did the same thing on my T1870 mower.

Toyman

Equipment
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Did a quick diagnosis yesterday. (Just been working thru the starting issue). I had a buddy tap on the starter while I was engaging the starter with no success. Put a meter on the battery while engaging the starter and the voltage drop was a few 10ths. Battery started at ~12.9v and dropped to about 12.5 when I held the starter switch for a few seconds. Found that if I engage the starter switch lightly it will start each time, if I 'crank' it fully to the stop it will give the dull sound most times. So, I think the starter switch is going bad.

This starter has an integrated solenoid, so my last test if things get worse will be to pull the small wire that goes to the starter and jump from the large battery feed to the small wire terminal to ensure that it will turn over. If not, I believe that means the starter needs replaced. If it's good, I will replace the starter switch,