Start Up?

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Kind of a dumb question, but... I have an LX2610 not much over a year old now. When I first got it all I had to do is let glow plugs heat (often with help of block heater when cold) and it would start first turn of the key. No problem.
Now it takes multiple letting the glow plugs warm, and instead of starting on idle, the throttle must be cracked open to a few hundred rpm at least. I got used to it starting and it seems like I am hesitant to crank the starter like a car until it starts. OR... is that not the right way to do it and it should not or will not crank like a car.

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
What kind of outside temperatures are we talking about and how is it stored?

My previous BX1880 and my current B2601 will start without glow plugs with the outside temperature probably in the 40-50 range and above. I probably only need the glow plugs for around freezing and below.

Even at cold temperatures in the 20s and below, a couple 5 second cycles of the glow plugs and it starts right up. Usually if it’s cold enough for glow plugs I need to bump the throttle up slightly until the engine warms up or it runs a little rough.

Right now where I am in CT it doesn’t get much below 60 and it starts right up without glow plugs and no need to adjust the throttle.

How are you using your glow plugs? When using them, you should do in short 5-10 second cycles, not stand on it for more than 10 seconds at a time. As I said above, usually two cycles with the glow plugs is enough to startup.

If it’s warm out and you need glow plugs, sounds like there’s an issue.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
That doesn’t sound right. On first start up I’ll preheat with glow plugs for 10 seconds. It usually starts on first try.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You should not have to crack the throttle to "a few hundred rpm". It should start at idle which is about 1000 or 1100 rpm. If it doesn't start like it used to and it's only a year old it may be time to go in for a check up. Warranty should cover any problems you're having.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
You should not have to crack the throttle to "a few hundred rpm". It should start at idle which is about 1000 or 1100 rpm. If it doesn't start like it used to and it's only a year old it may be time to go in for a check up. Warranty should cover any problems you're having.
Yes, some of said that LX 2610 has a soft wear problem others say not so????

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Have had 4 tractor and 3 car diesels and 1 generator driver diesel. They all start/started with about a 1/2 revolution of the crank in all weather. The only exception was when the 240D Benz was near 20 years old and had burned out a couple of its glow plugs. Another was once after replacing the small fuel filter on it. There were radial cracks in the fuel line. Had to replace it. One thing I like about diesels. They start virtually instantly.

The 3 JD tractors and the 2 Benzes all required about 1/2 throttle when starting cold. Would start instantly and then die if near 1/2 throttle not applied.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
My LX 2610 SU cranks immediately at idle setting, as it did over a year ago upon arrival. I am at 90 hours / 14 months.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Have had 4 tractor and 3 car diesels and 1 generator driver diesel. They all start/started with about a 1/2 revolution of the crank in all weather. The only exception was when the 240D Benz was near 20 years old and had burned out a couple of its glow plugs. Another was once after replacing the small fuel filter on it. There were radial cracks in the fuel line. Had to replace it. One thing I like about diesels. They start virtually instantly.

The 3 JD tractors and the 2 Benzes all required about 1/2 throttle when starting cold. Would start instantly and then die if near 1/2 throttle not applied.
Yes, that is how a diesel is suppose to start I believe, not cranked like a car engine. That is what my inquiry is about. I don't think they are made to be cranked like a car engine???

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Yep…and another reason they were so successful in submarines.