Stability / ballast / diy questions

Nyquil Junkie

Jan 10, 2014
Pennsylvania USA
The suggestion about retro fitting with rops got me thinking about stability.

Along with basic wheel weights, would the addition of weight along the underside mid line add more low center of gravity stability?

Think a very heavy belly mower.

Or am I not thinking with the right physics?

If yo can sacrifice a little ground clearance, would putting the weight under the tractor serve any advantage to just using a ballast box on the 3pt hitch or the front end?

Just a random thought. I have piles of iron bench weights lying around. Fitting them under the mid line of the tractor would be fairly easy.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Assuming the weight is needed for loader work, It Needs to be on the 3 pt hitch as 'counter' weight. I see no reason to have extra weight under the chassis. For stability I want weight in the rear tires / rear rims & on the 3 pt.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
You didn't mention using a loader, so I'm assuming you're not using one.

Any weight added BELOW the center of gravity will add stability. Any weight added ABOVE the center of gravity will lessen stability. Think a fully loaded loader bucket carried high, it'll tip you over.

Since the front axle pivots, weight closer to rear axle, which provides all side to side stability, at least until a rear tire is in the air high enough for the pivot stop to come into play on the front axle, will provide the most side to side stability.

Loader tractors typically carry the ballast out back to counteract the effect of the loader. The loader moves the center of gravity forward, putting most of the weight on the front axle. Add ballast behind the rear axle, and this will move the center of gravity back the most, putting weight back on the rear axle.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
You didn't mention using a loader, so I'm assuming you're not using one.

Any weight added BELOW the center of gravity will add stability. Any weight added ABOVE the center of gravity will lessen stability. Think a fully loaded loader bucket carried high, it'll tip you over.

Since the front axle pivots, weight closer to rear axle, which provides all side to side stability, at least until a rear tire is in the air high enough for the pivot stop to come into play on the front axle, will provide the most side to side stability.

Loader tractors typically carry the ballast out back to counteract the effect of the loader. The loader moves the center of gravity forward, putting most of the weight on the front axle. Add ballast behind the rear axle, and this will move the center of gravity back the most, putting weight back on the rear axle.
Well said! :cool:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
One minor change to the correct information by 17.

"Any weight added BELOW the center of gravity will add stability. Any weight added ABOVE the center of gravity will lessen stability. "

Modify to: Any weight added BELOW the center of gravity will LOWER THE CENTER OF GRAVITY AND add stability. Any weight added ABOVE the center of gravity WILL RAISE THE CENTER OF GRAVITY AND will lessen stability.

Center of gravity can be changed by what you do or how you operate. I'd also add that one should consider the pivoting front axle as nearly useless in resisting overturning sideways.

On the ROP subject, I'd like see where anyone has been injured MORE in the case where the hinged part was not up. Also, any historical information on tip overs and resulting injuries, would be appreciated where there was ROP. So far all I have heard is where there is no ROP. That's common, but what about with ROP, even home made ROP.? What about seat belt use?

TexasBoy

Equipment
Kubota M7060 HDC12 & L4600DT
Dec 11, 2013
Central Texas
How much weight would a person need to make an adequate counterweight for a L4600? I am looking build a concrete counter weight but have no clue how much it should weigh.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
One minor change to the correct information by 17.

"Any weight added BELOW the center of gravity will add stability. Any weight added ABOVE the center of gravity will lessen stability. "

Modify to: Any weight added BELOW the center of gravity will LOWER THE CENTER OF GRAVITY AND add stability. Any weight added ABOVE the center of gravity WILL RAISE THE CENTER OF GRAVITY AND will lessen stability.

Center of gravity can be changed by what you do or how you operate. I'd also add that one should consider the pivoting front axle as nearly useless in resisting overturning sideways.
Isn't that what I said? :D:D:D

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Almost. The idea that you can change the location of the C of G may not always be evident. Also, we might add that moving it fore or aft will change the stability, as with or without a load in the bucket.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sadly on a B6000 loading the tires works out to about 50Lbs for both tires, helps but not a whole lot.;)