SSQA tow mount plates.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I know these are typically sold as an attachment for moving trailers. Anyone use these as a lifting tool? I could see it having an advantage due to less bulk and weight.

Attachments

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
This thread may be useful

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
That’s a great idea!! I’m making an ssqa 3pt bracket to mount a snow plow to. Never even thought about using it as a boom. I could weld a 2” hitch on it. Get a length of 2” and then weld a tab for a brace to the top hook!

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
This thread may be useful

Yeah, I was thinking that a boom extension could be added. I was mainly thinking about using it as a hoist by just putting a hook in the receiver.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I use a boom SSQA attachment made by Titan.

Boom.JPG

The boom is 3" x 3" and 60" long. Note the mount is parallel to the surface of the plate, the plate is heavy, full frame and strong.

I also have a UA V2 Receiver plate similar to the OP photo. I would be concerned over making this into a boom for 2 reasons:
1. The pole would mount at 90 degrees to the plate creating a lot of twist forces to the receiver mount which was designed for a short ball mount only.
2. The forces you are putting onto the tractor front end loader. Look at the specs for lifting capability at the pins then at 24" there is a big drop in capability, if you make it a 5' boom you may damage your loader or cylinders.

The idea of putting a hook in the receiver mount is a good one as you are at the pins, the only downside is you are close to the front of your tractor. If I were making a boom arm for a receiver plate I would keep it short, many of us already have these, they are pallet forks, I lift a lot with straps from my forks. An issue with forks and a receiver plate is that the lifting point is at the base of the mounting plate, not useful for many lifting tasks, the link by I7win7 is an interesting use and looks within the limited capability of a BX loader.

I know our machines can do great things but recommend caution with smaller tractors and loaders. If you look at the construction of 3pt booms you will see they have supporting construction to the main boom pole, they are also limited in capacity.

I use my boom a lot on a Kubota track loader, the lifting capabilities are totally different. It is a very useful accessory. Lifting light loads on a home made boom may work out, be cautious as loads increase.

boom lift.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user