source for hydraulic tube color tape?

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I'm replacing some of the hydraulic tubes on the FEL of a BX23. I don't know if replacements will come with tape markers or not but they will need to be color coded for future repairs, if necessary.

I can't seem to find the tape to do this. Is anyone able to direct me?
Searching the internet has not been productive under the terms for fluid identification, hydraulic line tape, etc. Thanks!

Tractor Gal

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Recent visit to Lowes noticed they had small rolls of electrical tape in many colors.

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
When I put on my remotes I used multicolor zip ties at each end of the hoses.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Thanks for the responses. I'll check on the electrical tape...don't know if it will hold up if any petroleum product gets on it. Of course, the idea of replacing the tubes is to stop the leaking!

Zip ties would probably work, too, if they can be tightened enough, etc., so I'll check into these, too.

Thanks again.

TG

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Home Depot has a 6-pack of colored tape, may be best not to put it right at the connection point but a foot away may reduce the amount of fluid that gets on it.

Another idea is go clockwise at your connection block and put one black ty-wrap on the line for position one top left, 2 ty-wraps for the next connection etc.

Third option is to use a silver marker and mark the lines using same theory as above. I use silver magic markers a lot to mark on test objects here at work and it works well.

I used colored electrical tape on mine to match the cap colors and it has held up well.

I have some colored thin walled heat shrink in my barn that would work as well. Shrink the required color on the lines to match the caps and bingo last forever. Think I will do that at my next service.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Hello, Creature Meadow.

You have offered some good ideas and I appreciate it. I do have some shrink wrap but of course not the colors that I need! Today, at Lowe's, I bought a roll of orange electrical tape but they were out of green, of course. Those two colors are all that I need at the moment. So,
I plan to find some green electrical tape and things will be good to go.

I had thought of marking the lines but if there is ever another owner of this machine, it would be good for them to know what was going on rather than trying to guess! ;-) While doing this, I want to do it right...and only do it once. :) Should I knock on wood here?!

TG

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I am a HAM RADIO operator and have been using the 3M electrical tape in several colors for my antenna cable identifications and it has worked very well for many years. I use it on my B2601 Hydro lines as well for easy marking. I have rolls of black, white, red, orange, green, blue and yellow. Your local Lowes or HD should have it. Any supply house that carries 3M electrical tape should have it as well.
Quick tip: When you wrap the hose, do not pull the tape to break it. Use a pair of scissors or carefully use a knife to cut the tape or you will get the little pulls at the end of the tape. Don't ask me how I know. ;-)

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I used different colored electrical tape when I replaced the crappy upper quick gang coupler with individual couplers on my 2380 about a year ago. Works fine for me.

Attachments

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Sadly, UV will kill colored zip ties making them brittle and oil will melt the glue on tape.

All of the hydraulic hoses on my sawmill are painted with different colors for identification. Blue, green, yellow, etc. I have done the same thing on my tractor attachments.
IMG_8774.JPG

The top tractor fitting is also painted orange and the bottom light gray.
IMG_8775.JPG

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Lots of good ideas! These tubes are currently marked with some kind of tape to color code. Manual gives the colors of the tubes, IIRC, so the plan is to maintain original colors for future reference. And, as stated, lots of good ideas to make that happen. Thanks again! There are lots of "quality thinkers" here. :)

TG