So confused ;) L4701 vs. MX5800 vs. M5660

FarmFreshKS

Equipment
MX5800, ZD221
Aug 13, 2019
Kansas City
This aligns perfectly with my own thinking.

The smaller HST MX machine will be easier to drive (remember, I am a newbie), easier to maneuver, easier to deal with on hills (and I have plenty of those, once I am experienced enough to try them).

The larger M machine will be heavier, more stable, and more capable both in terms of the FEL and the BH. And also quite a bit more expensive...

And funny enough, the MX actually has more PTO HP than the M62 - although both are in the 60HP range which is probably enough for all of my PTO needs.

Anyone else want to weigh in, perhaps with real life experiences using the M59 or M62 for 3 point work after removing the hoe?
I forgot you were a newby. Have you considered asking the dealer to let you drive around their lot on each to get a feel for them? I know that's going to make you want to buy the HST, but I also know that if you got the shuttle shift version you would get better with it overtime, and the difference between ease of driving would get smaller for you. Another reason I wanted HST was to get my spouse to drive the tractor some. She would occasionally drive the old tractor, but she was very uncomfortable doing so...

FarmFreshKS

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I forgot you were a newby. Have you considered asking the dealer to let you drive around their lot on each to get a feel for them? I know that's going to make you want to buy the HST, but I also know that if you got the shuttle shift version you would get better with it overtime, and the difference between ease of driving would get smaller for you. Another reason I wanted HST was to get my spouse to drive the tractor some. She would occasionally drive the old tractor, but she was very uncomfortable doing so...

FarmFreshKS
My wife hopped on the L3560 HSTC and a couple of minutes of safety instructions, she was operating it digging dirt and dumping it. I had it set in medium-low and she was able to basically drive it just like a normal vehicle using the peddle to go forwards and back.

Garrik

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Aug 7, 2019
San Jose, CA
Well, I just discovered that the M62 comes std with the 6 range HST+ transmission. So that removes HST vs. geared as an issue.

Now it really just boils down to weight and price. The MX is a 3,700 lb machine naked. The M62 is closer to 5,600 lbs.

For the more constructions oriented tasks the weight is probably a feature - for the mowing type tasks the smaller tractor will be easier to maneuver...

The M62 is a bit bigger - but not that much. The wheelbase is about 6" longer.

And my local guy just dropped his price for the used M62 by $10k...

Ah well, at some point I just have to make a decision. I will likely make an offer on the M62, and see if we can find a mutually acceptable price.

FarmFreshKS

Equipment
MX5800, ZD221
Aug 13, 2019
Kansas City
Well, I just discovered that the M62 comes std with the 6 range HST+ transmission. So that removes HST vs. geared as an issue.

Now it really just boils down to weight and price. The MX is a 3,700 lb machine naked. The M62 is closer to 5,600 lbs.

For the more constructions oriented tasks the weight is probably a feature - for the mowing type tasks the smaller tractor will be easier to maneuver...

The M62 is a bit bigger - but not that much. The wheelbase is about 6" longer.

And my local guy just dropped his price for the used M62 by $10k...

Ah well, at some point I just have to make a decision. I will likely make an offer on the M62, and see if we can find a mutually acceptable price.
I didn't look up the M62 until you said this. I didn't realize it is a TLB. That makes this a harder decision for certain. If the price were right, I'd be awfully tempted by the M62.

FarmFreshKS

rays

Equipment
MX5800
Aug 23, 2019
jasper,tn
I have had a MX5800 hst open station for 2 years now. My 310 acre property has deep ditches, steep hills and 7 ponds and woods.
Tractor has AG tires, rear are loaded. bucket loader with third function.
Attachments, 6 ft box blade, 7ft grader blade,root grapple, 6ft brush cutter, 10ft brush cutter, 7ft sickle mower,6ft disc and Forklift forks currently. 185 acres is farmed by my renter. I maintain field edges and the rest with the MX. Previously I had a l4310 which didn't have enough hp and an old Ford Diesel it was to small and scary on hills. I chose the MX5800 because of lower ground height, ability to maneuver in woods and HP. It takes me 46 hours every time I hookup to mow start to finish. Ponds take a lot of time to do. Ditch crossing silt over 2-3 feet once or twice a year, Trees fall all the time so Bucket or Root grapple is always on when mowing, I maintain about a mile of gravel road...etc.etc. The Hydrostat was made for what I do with it regular transmission/shuttle shift would drive me nuts. Course there's all the other stuff which I do with it that I won't list cause I probably shouldn't be doing it. :) Hope this might help