Snowblower

Welder08

Equipment
L3560
Jun 10, 2020
UP of michigan
new here, I bought an L3560 LE. I love it. very capable tractor. I want a snowblower for it and am curious about the L4479. Specs say it’s in my hp range but I question it on heavy wet snow. I live in the UP and wet snow is typical in the spring normally it’s fluff. Will this combo handle the wet stuff? I realize you have to slow down and what not but will it still throw it a good distacne? Any videos of picks with feed back I welcome! Thanks!!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Is this the 74" model?

it seems like a lot for 28 pto HP

Suggest you read this thread where an member tried the same tractor and blower combination and was not happy.

He moved up to a larger more powerful tractor.

Snowblower perfromance

Dave

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I run a Woodmaxx 72” wide snow blower in northern Michigan on the back of my L3901 or Mx5800. The L3901 runs it OK but I just have to take things much slower when it is knee deep or above. My larger MX 5800 handles it beyond the volume capacity of the blower. Both tractors throw light or wet snow a good distance but I feel that is more of an issue of how much snow you are trying to feed through.

I appreciate that you are looking at a front mount setup but assume the physics are the same. I know that you are dealing with a lot more snow in the UP.

My thought would be to move down a size in width to 60” as it will perform better and you will not be frustrated at having to run a larger unit very slowly.

Good luck with your final decision

Welder08

Equipment
L3560
Jun 10, 2020
UP of michigan
Is this the 74" model?

it seems like a lot for 28 pto HP

Suggest you read this thread where an member tried the same tractor and blower combination and was not happy.

He moved up to a larger more powerful tractor.

Snowblower perfromance

Dave
I have read the thread. That’s exactly why I asking for more opinions. Some people have different expectations. His review of it is why I’m looking for more to see other people’s thoughts as well.

Welder08

Equipment
L3560
Jun 10, 2020
UP of michigan
I run a Woodmaxx 72” wide snow blower in northern Michigan on the back of my L3901 or Mx5800. The L3901 runs it OK but I just have to take things much slower when it is knee deep or above. My larger MX 5800 handles it beyond the volume capacity of the blower. Both tractors throw light or wet snow a good distance but I feel that is more of an issue of how much snow you are trying to feed through.

I appreciate that you are looking at a front mount setup but assume the physics are the same. I know that you are dealing with a lot more snow in the UP.

My thought would be to move down a size in width to 60” as it will perform better and you will not be frustrated at having to run a larger unit very slowly.

Good luck with your final decision
I am thinking about going to the 4469. It’s a 64” blower I just wish it was a bit wider. 95% of our snows are fluff and even if 2’ deep moves real easy. That 5% usually isn’t that deep. I’m close to the lake so I don’t get as much as they do Inland. Although it has happened.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I think
I am thinking about going to the 4469. It’s a 64” blower I just wish it was a bit wider. 95% of our snows are fluff and even if 2’ deep moves real easy. That 5% usually isn’t that deep. I’m close to the lake so I don’t get as much as they do Inland. Although it has happened.
If you are only handling snow as described you may be happy with a bigger unit but I would suggest go to the smaller unit and have the full performance of the smaller unit, it sounded as if throwing distance was an important issue for you.

Bigger unit means you may have to travel slower in deeper snow, smaller unit will manage snow better as it is more matched to your HP. If I am clearing snow at my Norther property I allways use my bigger tractor as the snow has accumulated and is deep, at my southern MI home I will run my L3901 because snow is more like what you describe.

If you have lighter snow and a smaller unit you will be able to work fast and travel faster, it may even turn out to be more efficient and quicker, also depends on what you are clearing, is it a long thin drive or a very large open area.

Good luck in your final selection, they are all good options and beat shoveling any day!

Welder08

Equipment
L3560
Jun 10, 2020
UP of michigan
I think

If you are only handling snow as described you may be happy with a bigger unit but I would suggest go to the smaller unit and have the full performance of the smaller unit, it sounded as if throwing distance was an important issue for you.

Bigger unit means you may have to travel slower in deeper snow, smaller unit will manage snow better as it is more matched to your HP. If I am clearing snow at my Norther property I allways use my bigger tractor as the snow has accumulated and is deep, at my southern MI home I will run my L3901 because snow is more like what you describe.

If you have lighter snow and a smaller unit you will be able to work fast and travel faster, it may even turn out to be more efficient and quicker, also depends on what you are clearing, is it a long thin drive or a very large open area.

Good luck in your final selection, they are all good options and beat shoveling any day!

Large open area. Distance is a big deal. My other concern is the width of the blower in relation to the tractors rear tires. Seems as the the blower is narrower. Thanks for the help!

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Large open area. Distance is a big deal. My other concern is the width of the blower in relation to the tractors rear tires. Seems as the the blower is narrower. Thanks for the help!
Based on tractor data standard overall track width oy your model is just under 60", you were talking about a 64" blower, should be fine.

If you are clearing large open areas I would definitely go with smaller 64" unit to ensure you can run it fully and achieve maximum throwing distance, the larger 74" unit (15% wider) is likely not to perform fully to it's capability due to the limit of your tractor PTO power.

Reactions: 1 user

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Based on tractor data standard overall track width oy your model is just under 60", you were talking about a 64" blower, should be fine.

If you are clearing large open areas I would definitely go with smaller 64" unit to ensure you can run it fully and achieve maximum throwing distance, the larger 74" unit (15% wider) is likely not to perform fully to it's capability due to the limit of your tractor PTO power.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
64" sounds about right to me....depending on driveway width of course...
out from garage, down the driveway , 1/2 the snow gets cleared, clean out the road access, then turn around and remove the other 1/2 of driveway on the way back to the garage.....
done... go grab a coffee !

Snowman7

Equipment
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
If I end up with a new LX3310 which is rated at 27 or 28 pto hp I will probably buy a 55” commercial front blower. I think it will just cover the width of the tractor. If you end up with a blower too wide for the hp you will just end up overlapping more. I am hoping I won’t have to overlap squat. My J.D. 770 has only 19 pto hp and it handled the J.D. 59” blower ok until it was 8” deep and heavy. I would have to blow in low range then, not nearly as much fun. I typically overlap 6-10 inches depending on weight and depth which takes the 59” down to 49” to 53”. I believe I will blow snow faster with a 55” blower and 27 pto hp than I do with my current 59” blower. It will also be a little easier to park.

Welder08

Equipment
L3560
Jun 10, 2020
UP of michigan

I talked with ginups out of Alanson Michigan. They wouldn’t sell me a 74” and wouldn’t sell me either of the commercial sizes. I’m going to go with the 64” and they will add wings to it to help combat the same width issues as the tractor. My local dealer priced me at 11k and ginups was 8k and some change. Pretty obvious decision there.

I talked

Welder08

Equipment
L3560
Jun 10, 2020
UP of michigan
64" sounds about right to me....depending on driveway width of course...
out from garage, down the driveway , 1/2 the snow gets cleared, clean out the road access, then turn around and remove the other 1/2 of driveway on the way back to the garage.....
done... go grab a coffee !

That’s sounds nice but I have a rather large area to clear. This won’t be as fast as the plow on my truck but I won’t have to deal with the piles come april.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I talked with ginups out of Alanson Michigan. They wouldn’t sell me a 74” and wouldn’t sell me either of the commercial sizes. I’m going to go with the 64” and they will add wings to it to help combat the same width issues as the tractor. My local dealer priced me at 11k and ginups was 8k and some change. Pretty obvious decision there.

I talked
Wow, those front mount snow blowers are expensive, I commented earlier that I run a 6' rear version from Woodmaxx the current cost is $2,400 delivered, they also make smaller ones. I appreciate that a front mount is easier to use but you said you have a large open area to clear, why spend $5.5K more than a rear mount unit? I can think of a number of other attachments I might buy with that $5.5K. I actually run the snow blower on the back and a snow pusher on my loader, allows me to blow as much as possible and push some in areas that I dont want to put the blower in.

Good luck with your decision

Welder08

Equipment
L3560
Jun 10, 2020
UP of michigan
Wow, those front mount snow blowers are expensive, I commented earlier that I run a 6' rear version from Woodmaxx the current cost is $2,400 delivered, they also make smaller ones. I appreciate that a front mount is easier to use but you said you have a large open area to clear, why spend $5.5K more than a rear mount unit? I can think of a number of other attachments I might buy with that $5.5K. I actually run the snow blower on the back and a snow pusher on my loader, allows me to blow as much as possible and push some in areas that I dont want to put the blower in.

Good luck with your decision

Biggest reason is my wife will be doing the work if I’m on the road working. Also I have neck issues. And it’s personal preference. The only other attachment I’d like is a backho. There is a chance at finding them used. I have found them but you gotta Juno on em quick.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
new here, I bought an L3560 LE. I love it. very capable tractor. I want a snowblower for it and am curious about the L4479. Specs say it’s in my hp range but I question it on heavy wet snow. I live in the UP and wet snow is typical in the spring normally it’s fluff. Will this combo handle the wet stuff? I realize you have to slow down and what not but will it still throw it a good distacne? Any videos of picks with feed back I welcome! Thanks!!
i haven L3300 and a 6' allied blower they have worked very well together for many years all types of snow condition

Snowman7

Equipment
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Why wouldn’t they sell you a commercial blower? What sizes did the commercial come in at?
Thanks

Welder08

Equipment
L3560
Jun 10, 2020
UP of michigan
Why wouldn’t they sell you a commercial blower? What sizes did the commercial come in at?
Thanks

The augers and the frame work are much heavier than say the utility. I was a little surprised they wouldn’t sell the 64 in commercial as well. He did say it wasn’t long ago that the current utility line was the commercial. They recently upgraded.

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
I can’t speak as to what your tractor will run better, but I live in the UP and am using a 50” front mount blower on a bx 23s, it handled the snows very well, I live a little inland in the snow belt line so we get a lot more snow than near the lake, even clears the piles left by the plows, I think if I was to get another snow blower at some time I would go with a rear mount and leave the loader bucket on, I went with a front mount blower due to back issues but have come to the conclusion that a set of mirrors would take care of that, my driveway is around 350’ long. Good luck in your decision

Last edited:

Welder08

Equipment
L3560
Jun 10, 2020
UP of michigan
I can’t speak as to what your tractor will run better, but I live in the UP and am using a 48” front mount blower on a bx 23s, it handled the snows very well, I live a little inland in the snow belt line so we get a lot more snow than near the lake, even clears the piles left by the plows, I think if I was to get another snow blower at some time I would go with a rear mount and leave the loader bucket on, I went with a front mount blower due to back issues but have come to the conclusion that a set of mirrors would take care of that, my driveway is around 350’ long. Good luck in your decision
Where are you in the UP? I’m in 5 miles south of big bay. My biggest reason for the front blower is my wife will be doing the snow blowing a lot when I’m out of town. She said no snowblower unless it’s up front. Kind of hard to argue with here lol.