Snowblower l2195a rotation issues

Tkranz

Equipment
L4330, Ford 8n
Nov 13, 2020
East Aurora, ny
Sent the following to my dealer. I would like to hear from other l2195a owners on these two issues.

To: Kubota service manager
Alexander equipment

I recently purchased a Kubota L2195A front mounted snowblower from you. I am generally very pleased with the construction quality and neat installation. Chris worked on it and delivered. We were very pleased with his customer service during delivery.

I do have two issues with chute rotation.

The first time I went to use the blower, the chute rotation mechanism was frozen up and would not turn. I fiddled with it back and forth and it eventually freed up. I called and spoke with Chris. He assured me that there was no way in moisture could have gotten into the rotation motor hydraulics , and he believed my problem was likely ice in the chute rotation gear or bushing.

After speaking with Chris I took a close look at the chute rotation mechanism. The chute rotation ring gear is retained by several black retaining plates, attached to 3/8” spacers and held down by 8 small bolts. (See attached pictures or check with Chris). I noticed that the nut had fallen off the bottom of one of these bolts. I replaced the missing nut and in that process, I noticed that all 8 of those retaining bolts were quite loose. I snugged them up but noticed that when they were tight, the chute rotation ring gear was bound up and would not turn.

I assume that Chris noticed this when he put it together and backed those 8 bolts off enough to give clearance allowing the chute to turn. That’s the way it is now, and it does work, but if correction is not made I think it will lead to problems. The loose hold down plates and spacers allow inconsistent clearance between the rotation pinion and the ring gear. And there is nothing to keep the 8 loose nuts on the hold down plates from backing off and falling off, as has already happened once.

I am far from expert, but it appears to me that slightly thicker spacers or even washers or other shims would allow the chute ring gear clearance to turn while those 8 bolts are fully tightened. What do you think?

A separate rotation issue is with the hydraulic control valves. The installation uses the hydraulic controls from my front loader. As you would think, loader up, down, and float all act as you would expect to raise and lower the snowblower. They work fine.

Left and right on the control stick are roll forward and back on the loader bucket, and are used on the snowblower for left and right chute rotation. Left works smoothly as you would expect. But right will not rotate right until you apply strong right pressure on the stick or bang it to the right to overcome a “detent”. This does work, but is annoying on an otherwise smooth functioning and expensive piece of equipment.

When used with the front loader, there is no such detent resistance on the left/right control stick. I am curious why this is needed on the snowblower chute rotation? Is there an alternate way to hook up the hydraulics that would avoid this sticky detent?

Is there a national Kubota help number that might have answers to these questions? I bet Kubota sells very few of this model and maybe nobody has reported the spacer issue?

Many thanks for your time.

Tom Kranz
1529 mill rd
East Aurora, ny. 14052
716-652-9495
1641586563824.png
1641586563889.png

Sent from my iPhone Sent from my iPhone

Weekender

Equipment
Kubota L6060, LA1055 Loader, Bearcat CH-8540 chipper/shredder, L2195A snowblower
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
Sent the following to my dealer. I would like to hear from other l2195a owners on these two issues.

To: Kubota service manager
Alexander equipment

I recently purchased a Kubota L2195A front mounted snowblower from you. I am generally very pleased with the construction quality and neat installation. Chris worked on it and delivered. We were very pleased with his customer service during delivery.

I do have two issues with chute rotation.

The first time I went to use the blower, the chute rotation mechanism was frozen up and would not turn. I fiddled with it back and forth and it eventually freed up. I called and spoke with Chris. He assured me that there was no way in moisture could have gotten into the rotation motor hydraulics , and he believed my problem was likely ice in the chute rotation gear or bushing.

After speaking with Chris I took a close look at the chute rotation mechanism. The chute rotation ring gear is retained by several black retaining plates, attached to 3/8” spacers and held down by 8 small bolts. (See attached pictures or check with Chris). I noticed that the nut had fallen off the bottom of one of these bolts. I replaced the missing nut and in that process, I noticed that all 8 of those retaining bolts were quite loose. I snugged them up but noticed that when they were tight, the chute rotation ring gear was bound up and would not turn.

I assume that Chris noticed this when he put it together and backed those 8 bolts off enough to give clearance allowing the chute to turn. That’s the way it is now, and it does work, but if correction is not made I think it will lead to problems. The loose hold down plates and spacers allow inconsistent clearance between the rotation pinion and the ring gear. And there is nothing to keep the 8 loose nuts on the hold down plates from backing off and falling off, as has already happened once.

I am far from expert, but it appears to me that slightly thicker spacers or even washers or other shims would allow the chute ring gear clearance to turn while those 8 bolts are fully tightened. What do you think?

A separate rotation issue is with the hydraulic control valves. The installation uses the hydraulic controls from my front loader. As you would think, loader up, down, and float all act as you would expect to raise and lower the snowblower. They work fine.

Left and right on the control stick are roll forward and back on the loader bucket, and are used on the snowblower for left and right chute rotation. Left works smoothly as you would expect. But right will not rotate right until you apply strong right pressure on the stick or bang it to the right to overcome a “detent”. This does work, but is annoying on an otherwise smooth functioning and expensive piece of equipment.

When used with the front loader, there is no such detent resistance on the left/right control stick. I am curious why this is needed on the snowblower chute rotation? Is there an alternate way to hook up the hydraulics that would avoid this sticky detent?

Is there a national Kubota help number that might have answers to these questions? I bet Kubota sells very few of this model and maybe nobody has reported the spacer issue?

Many thanks for your time.

Tom Kranz
1529 mill rd
East Aurora, ny. 14052
716-652-9495
View attachment 72988 View attachment 72989
Sent from my iPhone Sent from my iPhone
I used my L2195A on my L6060 for the first time last week and had exactly the same issue with the right rotation of the chute. I could get it to rotate to the right by turning it manually but it would not turn to the right otherwise. Turning to the left was just fine using the hydraulic lever in the cab. I thought I had not hooked up the hydraulics correctly but double checking with the manual eliminated that possibility. I will check the anchor plates as well to see if that helps but I doubt that is the real reason for this since I could turn it manually without issue. -Weekender

Tkranz

Equipment
L4330, Ford 8n
Nov 13, 2020
East Aurora, ny
I used my L2195A on my L6060 for the first time last week and had exactly the same issue with the right rotation of the chute. I could get it to rotate to the right by turning it manually but it would not turn to the right otherwise. Turning to the left was just fine using the hydraulic lever in the cab. I thought I had not hooked up the hydraulics correctly but double checking with the manual eliminated that possibility. I will check the anchor plates as well to see if that helps but I doubt that is the real reason for this since I could turn it manually without issue. -Weekender
To be clear, when I move the controller lever left, it turns the chute left smoothly and with no effort. Moving the lever right, it will not move unless I push hard to overcome a detent and it then will move the chute right.

this works but is awkward. There
Har be a fix, or do other 2195 owners just put up with this?

AdmiralS

Equipment
ToolCat UW53 (On Order), LX3310HSDC
Dec 7, 2021
Hudson Valley, New York
Used our LX2980 blower for the first time this past week. While I was aware that you had to go past the detent before starting, it is awkward and makes for a slight pain while out working.

I am assuming it has something to do with keeping the fluid from deadheading or flowing generating heat but purely a guess.

Would love to know the real reason for this as I rotate the chute quiet often doing small driveways in close quarters...

Reactions: 1 user

Weekender

Equipment
Kubota L6060, LA1055 Loader, Bearcat CH-8540 chipper/shredder, L2195A snowblower
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
To be clear, when I move the controller lever left, it turns the chute left smoothly and with no effort. Moving the lever right, it will not move unless I push hard to overcome a detent and it then will move the chute right.

You were absolutely clear. When I have a free moment I will try that on mine.

Weekender

Equipment
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
One last comment on your post, I think using a lock nut on the bolts holding the anchor plates should allow you the play you need while avoiding the nuts becoming loose over time. -Weekender

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Kubota uses loader valves with regen for fast dump on the bucket. That feature is incompatible with a hydraulic motor. Your valve has a fourth position that eliminates the regen and allows the valve to work with a motor. Your valve and blower seem to be working as designed.

Dan

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
While I do not have the same tractor, or blower, they are designed the same way. I encountered the same thing with my blower when I used it the first time. I have since learned a couple things that relate to you issues.

First is that the loader control valve uses the fast dump circuit for controlling the rotation of the chute. It’s the nature of the beast that you need to go past the detent to rotate to the right. The only thing that I have found that overcomes this issue is use and practice. It does eventually get easier to control the right chute rotation. At least it did for me.

Second, do not use any grease on the toothed ring, thinking that will make it turn easier. Just the opposite happens, it gums things up to the point that the hydraulic motor that turns the chute will get hot with continued use. Don’t ask me how I know.

Dan types faster than me, see above

Tkranz

Equipment
L4330, Ford 8n
Nov 13, 2020
East Aurora, ny
While I do not have the same tractor, or blower, they are designed the same way. I encountered the same thing with my blower when I used it the first time. I have since learned a couple things that relate to you issues.

First is that the loader control valve uses the fast dump circuit for controlling the rotation of the chute. It’s the nature of the beast that you need to go past the detent to rotate to the right. The only thing that I have found that overcomes this issue is use and practice. It does eventually get easier to control the right chute rotation. At least it did for me.

Second, do not use any grease on the toothed ring, thinking that will make it turn easier. Just the opposite happens, it gums things up to the point that the hydraulic motor that turns the chute will get hot with continued use. Don’t ask me how I know.

Dan types faster than me, see above
Thanks for the info

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
As others have said, and I will say with experience, the right rotation is completely normal and in no way a malfunction. Maybe a poor design, but it is mainly for the bucket operation and then this accessory uses it, too.
On a cab, it is even worse because I hit the glass or the handle bar. I have learned when I go right to move my hand to the inside of the stick/knob and bang it out. You do learn how to use this function with use.

It seems your other issue is a nut/bolt/spacer issue, but depending on the climate, temp and moisture the grease used could freeze in the gears.
There is a youtube video by GP Outdoors that shows this very issue and the effort involved to remedy the situation.

Tkranz

Equipment
L4330, Ford 8n
Nov 13, 2020
East Aurora, ny
As others have said, and I will say with experience, the right rotation is completely normal and in no way a malfunction. Maybe a poor design, but it is mainly for the bucket operation and then this accessory uses it, too.
On a cab, it is even worse because I hit the glass or the handle bar. I have learned when I go right to move my hand to the inside of the stick/knob and bang it out. You do learn how to use this function with use.

It seems your other issue is a nut/bolt/spacer issue, but depending on the climate, temp and moisture the grease used could freeze in the gears.
There is a youtube video by GP Outdoors that shows this very issue and the effort involved to remedy the situation.
Thanks for your thorough answer.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada

Thanks for the reference to GP Outdoors. I've watched most of his videos but had missed this one.
I didn't make note, but it was a very early one. Maybe #15? Easy to find. Go to youtube and search his channel itself for the word Chute. I even learned a thing or two from reading the comments of the video !

Weekender

Equipment
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
Kubota uses loader valves with regen for fast dump on the bucket. That feature is incompatible with a hydraulic motor. Your valve has a fourth position that eliminates the regen and allows the valve to work with a motor. Your valve and blower seem to be working as designed.

Dan
Thanks Dan! Your suggestion on the detent was spot on. I checked it this afternoon and was easily able to move the chute to the right!
-Weekender

Tkranz

Equipment
L4330, Ford 8n
Nov 13, 2020
East Aurora, ny
Thanks for your thorough answer.
I am new to the l2195a snowblower, but trying to learn fast. I now understand that the sticky detent for right chute rotation is normal.

I am still having trouble with the chute locking up and not being able to rotate unless the 8 bolts securing the rotation hold down plates are backed off so that the ring gear is quite loose when it is cold out. Has anyone reported this issue and a solution?