Snowblower Chute Rotation

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 BX1880 w FEL, 54"MMM, 2019 BX2816 50 " snowblower
Dec 12, 2017
NY
Hey Everyone....ok so I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my BX2816 snowblower.... I been reading about adding motors to the chute to automate it, as I didnt shell out the loot to add hydro rotation. I been thinking of adding a power seat motor kinda like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IR1NBA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AV1C4HL5FF2GF&psc=1

My question is about putting a lovejoy on the end to connect to the rotation piece on the snowblower. First there is a ball on the end of the shaft? will that effect me in any way? and second does any one know what diameter the rotation screw piece is on the bx2816 so I get the correct connector?

Thanks for the help !!!!!!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Hey Everyone....ok so I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my BX2816 snowblower.... I been reading about adding motors to the chute to automate it, as I didnt shell out the loot to add hydro rotation. I been thinking of adding a power seat motor kinda like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IR1NBA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AV1C4HL5FF2GF&psc=1

My question is about putting a lovejoy on the end to connect to the rotation piece on the snowblower. First there is a ball on the end of the shaft? will that effect me in any way? and second does any one know what diameter the rotation screw piece is on the bx2816 so I get the correct connector?

Thanks for the help !!!!!!
I replaced the long hand crank on my chute rotator with a short shaft with a lovejoy coupler on the end. I drive mine with a hydraulic motor.

I have photos posted on my blog

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Im also working on this project with my Pronovost (Hardy) blower. Today I got the chute pitch and rotation mounted up. Tomorrow will do wiring.

My plan is to use a sealed box with momentary switches, and put magnets on it to grab the rops and allow for easy removal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Ok got this wrapped up today.
I installed two DPDT switches into a double gang sealed box with glands for the wires. I attached 4 rubberized magnets to the box to hold it to the rops and allow for easy removal when not in use. The box is powered with a cigarette lighter plug that plugs into the 12 volt power port on the fender.

Rotation: I cut the hand crank, and we discovered it was just a 1" pipe. My dad being a much more capable machinist than I, made a bushing on his lathe to adapt the inside of the pipe to the motor shaft. Lucked out and the motor shaft lined up well on the existing bracket, was able to get two bolts through and notched the third to hold it. The gear and rotation on this Pronovost unit are super crude, but the motor turns it with ease. I cut off the chute rotation stop limit, and cut in additional gear teeth on its ring where the stop was previously. This will allow the motor to overrun and not hit a hard stop if needed, or blast me in the face with snow.

Pitch: I was going to simply weld tabs onto the existing crude manual track and install the 6" linear actuator on it. I was informed by the machinist review committee this wasnt a clean enough solution. My dad made more bushings on his lathe and the actuator mounts to those with a through bolt and fender washers. Unfortunately, I did not get to use my welder and gob up metal parts like a savage.

Now that this is done, there shouldn't be any further snow storms.

The motor was from Surplus Center is 100 rpm "RA-AFSL-30AN-35" Allied Motion: Motor link
The liner actuator also from SC is 6" stroke 225lbs Link

All in, about $250. The kits from Pronovost, not even joking, were $1200, in either hydraulic or electric.

Last edited:

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 BX1880 w FEL, 54"MMM, 2019 BX2816 50 " snowblower
Dec 12, 2017
NY
Ok got this wrapped up today.
I installed two DPDT switches into a double gang sealed box with glands for the wires. I attached 4 rubberized magnets to the box to hold it to the rops and allow for easy removal when not in use. The box is powered with a cigarette lighter plug that plugs into the 12 volt power port on the fender.

Rotation: I cut the hand crank, and we discovered it was just a 1" pipe. My dad being a much more capable machinist than I, made a bushing on his lathe to adapt the inside of the pipe to the motor shaft. Lucked out and the motor shaft lined up well on the existing bracket, was able to get two bolts through and notched the third to hold it. The gear and rotation on this Pronovost unit are super crude, but the motor turns it with ease. I cut off the chute rotation stop limit, and cut in additional gear teeth on its ring where the stop was previously. This will allow the motor to overrun and not hit a hard stop if needed, or blast me in the face with snow.

Pitch: I was going to simply weld tabs onto the existing crude manual track and install the 6" linear actuator on it. I was informed by the machinist review committee this wasnt a clean enough solution. My dad made more bushings on his lathe and actuator just mounts to those with a through bolt and fender washers. Unfortunately, I did not get to use my welder and gob up metal parts like a savage.

Now that this is done, there shouldn't be any further snow storms.

The motor was from Surplus Center is 100 rpm. Motor link
The liner actuator also from SC is 6" stroke 225lbs Link

All in, about $250. The kits from Pronovost, not even joking, were $1200, in either hydraulic or electric.

that's a beautiful install man!!!! thanks for the ideas

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Im also working on this project with my Pronovost (Hardy) blower. Today I got the chute pitch and rotation mounted up. Tomorrow will do wiring.

My plan is to use a sealed box with momentary switches, and put magnets on it to grab the rops and allow for easy removal.

Looks like something out of the Russian space program

• Haha