SNOW SHOES!

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I went ahead and ordered these so I don't rip up the gravel/grass. A step drill bit and 4 bolts. It was these or edge tamers, I really liked the edge tamers but there are times I like to back drag snow out of tight spots with the bucket which these will allow. Same idea, they hold the bucket about an inch off the ground. Each shoe weigh about 2-3 lbs, they are built heavy-duty.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Just a tip, turn the bolts around so as not get material bound up in the bucket. Snow and every thing else is going to get hung up in there.

802Driver

Equipment
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Just a tip, turn the bolts around so as not get material bound up in the bucket. Snow and every thing else is going to get hung up in there.
I did think of that but the bolt has the square box under the head that locks into the slot on the skid so it can be tightened, you won't be able to tighten it down the other way.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
I did think of that but the bolt has the square box under the head that locks into the slot on the skid so it can be tightened, you won't be able to tighten it down the other way.
File out those holes in the bucket sides to fit the square carriage bolt. Even cleaner inside the bucket. You will thank yourself for the effort when it comes time to dump wet snow!

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I went ahead and ordered these so I don't rip up the gravel/grass. A step drill bit and 4 bolts. It was these or edge tamers, I really liked the edge tamers but there are times I like to back drag snow out of tight spots with the bucket which these will allow. Same idea, they hold the bucket about an inch off the ground. Each shoe weigh about 2-3 lbs, they are built heavy-duty.
Great idea! I`ve been thinking about building something similar to this so i dont tear up all the new gravel the wife an i just put down in the driveway.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Looks good!

Question. Is that the recommended placement? Without direction I would probably have put them closer to the cutting edge.

802Driver

Equipment
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Looks good!

Question. Is that the recommended placement? Without direction I would probably have put them closer to the cutting edge.
Going by the picture on their website, pretty much, I don't think it would be an issue though moving them closer to the cutting edge. I had them out on our driveway, not a lot of snow right now but it seems to work well, they are easy to see from the driver seat. I was also thinking about mounting a tooth bar at some point so the position should work for a future bolt hole forward of the skids.

Reactions: 1 user

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I would think where 802Driver mounted his would be better in my own opinion. If they are in the center, instead of up front closer to the cutting edge, i would think that where he mounted them would help keep the bucket more stable front to back. I dunnoooo, i`ve never seen those type used on a bucket before. Hopefully 802Driver will report back on how it works out. Maybe 2 sets of them then... front AND rear of the bucket. I`m thinking that if you get them to close to the front cutting edge, whats going to happen if you need to dig down to remove hard packed snow and ice. At least when mounted in the center, it still gives you the option to use the cutting edge of the bucket, but not so much if the cutting blade cant get low enough to scrape when needed.

On an older tractor i have, i used those nylon tunnel protectors that they use on snowmobile`s. Every two years, i would unbolt them, attach a new pair cut to proper length. They were cheap, easily replaceable, then throw the old ones away.

I just cut some angle iron to length, bolted onto side of the bucket, then bolted the tunnel protectors to the angle iron. I left the length just short of the back of the cutting edge so that i could still use the cutting edge to break up hard packed snow and ice. I think i had around $25/30 bucks in the total bucket mod back then.

Here is a link to the tunnel protectors i`m talking about. There are lots of different ones out there, i just grabbed this link real quick to point out my comment.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I wonder if those that have the Piranha tooth bar can use this attachment. I am thinking maybe use the same mounting hole for the tooth bar for the forward mount of the snow shoe and the tooth bar, to be able to use both at the same time. I am thinking that it could be done if the snow shoe bolt is close to the same size as the one for the piranha tooth bar. That way save drilling a third hole on each side of the bucket.

Last edited:

802Driver

Equipment
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I would think where 802Driver mounted his would be better in my own opinion. If they are in the center, instead of up front closer to the cutting edge, i would think that where he mounted them would help keep the bucket more stable front to back. I dunnoooo, i`ve never seen those type used on a bucket before. Hopefully 802Driver will report back on how it works out. Maybe 2 sets of them then... front AND rear of the bucket. I`m thinking that if you get them to close to the front cutting edge, whats going to happen if you need to dig down to remove hard packed snow and ice. At least when mounted in the center, it still gives you the option to use the cutting edge of the bucket, but not so much if the cutting blade cant get low enough to scrape when needed.

On an older tractor i have, i used those nylon tunnel protectors that they use on snowmobile`s. Every two years, i would unbolt them, attach a new pair cut to proper length. They were cheap, easily replaceable, then throw the old ones away.

I just cut some angle iron to length, bolted onto side of the bucket, then bolted the tunnel protectors to the angle iron. I left the length just short of the back of the cutting edge so that i could still use the cutting edge to break up hard packed snow and ice. I think i had around $25/30 bucks in the total bucket mod back then.

Here is a link to the tunnel protectors i`m talking about. There are lots of different ones out there, i just grabbed this link real quick to point out my comment.
You're right with that train of thought, in the middle it is fairly balanced as far as the bucket is concerned, how it sits on the ground. I thought about mounting them forward, dumb luck I didn't as far as what you pointed out. (y) I used them a bit yesterday, we have a little bit of snow but everything is still soft, ground isn't frozen enough yet but they certainly work, like riding on 2 skids in float, no more scalping the driveway. I'll post when we get a dump of snow.

802Driver

Equipment
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I wonder if those that have the Piranha tooth bar can use this attachment. I am thinking maybe use the same mounting hole for the tooth bar for the forward mount of the snow shoe and the tooth bar, to be able to use both at the same time. I am thinking that it could be done if the snow shoe bolt is close to the same size as the one for the piranha tooth bar. That way same drilling a third hole on each side of the bucket.
I thought of that of course after the I had drilled the one side! If I had the tooth bar I would have probably done that, would have been a neater install. I guess it'll be one more hole per side. lol

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I do not think a few holes in the bucket makes much practical difference.

I drilled a couple holes in the bottom center of my bucket to mount a trailer hitch when needed, and never noticed any affect. Also never noticed any affect when not using my tooth bar which uses 1 inch holes for mounting.