Snow Removal question

roadracer86

Equipment
2012 ZD331, 2012 L3800, 2014 GL11000
Aug 19, 2012
New Bloomfield PA
Hi all,
We purchased a new L3800 recently and bought a home with a 1/2 mile paved driveway. Our other house with a much shorter drive we used a BX2200 FEL to remove snow which was tedious. We are thinking about getting a King Kutter HD 84 inch rear blade that weighs in at 610 lbs and using it with the front end loader to clear the drive. Central PA doesn't get a ton of snow but we still have the BX2200 for my wife to assist if needed. Whithout spending another $3K for a rear mounted snowblower what other setups are available? Not sure which way to go here. Thanks.

Maybe a beater pickup with a plow would be best? :)

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
3k seems a bit steep. Did you look at some of the 3rd party blowers like Meteor?
You could always adapt a pickup plow to mount on your loader. There are some decent ones available used if you search a bit.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
My opinion is that a blade is less expensive and more versatile, especially if your blade has tilt and offset, not just angle rotation. Maybe buy a used blade and resell it if it turns out not to meet your needs.

I couldn't stand the idea of an expensive tool that I hardly ever got to use.

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I am firmly in MagKarl's court on this. The King Kutter seems only to have a rotating blade. Look at a Rhino 500 or equivalent, with swing, tilt and rotate. It will allow you to swing the blade over to the side another foot or two, and get the snow well off the drive. In a bad winter you will be happy you can do that. With the tilt function you can also ditch and grade.
You can get a gauge wheel option for the blade, or build one - see my thread in fabrication. That would allow you to keep the blade an inch or two above the concrete/blacktop. Otherwise it can be hard on both the blade and driveway.
Rhino blades last forever. You can usually find one on either ebay or Craigslist, for 1/2 - 2/3 of the new price.
I'd save my $$ for a good bush hog or other fine implement. You may also want chains. If you go for chains, you'll also need wheel spacers, if you went the R4 tire route. Kubots sells a set for about $300, which only move the wheels out about 7/8" each. I guy is making really nice 2-1/2" or bigger spacers, and selling them on ebay for a bit more.
Attached are pictures of the wheel spacer, and my gauge wheel setup. The blade is a 30+ year old RHINO LR; ignore the Kubota decal. You can only see the swing pin, my hydraulic swivel bracket hides the swing holes. Mine is a 6' - I'd probably go for the 7', but I'm not sure it would save you a trip down the drive.

Attachments

roadracer86

Equipment
Aug 19, 2012
New Bloomfield PA
Thanks all,
Good suggestions; the KK doesn't have an offset which in my case would be beneficial for sure. I found this rear blade and it seems to have all the adjustments that should work. I tried Craigs List in a 200 mile radius and haven't found much in the last month or so. Looks like I'll be buying a new blade.

http://www.everythingattachments.com/product-p/eta-7-value-sb.htm

I also have the R4 tires on this machine and I'm sure the tires will suck in snow since they are wide and stiff; typically not good in mud or snow. I'll probably skimp on the chains and spacers for this year since we've been on a buying spree since we moved into a new home that needed a lot of repairs. Money sure goes fast.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
That's a pretty spendy blade. I would think you could get a grading blade and a box scraper for that kind of money. Keep an eye on Craig's List every day and you'll find something.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Buying new, heavy duty is spendy, but lasts forever. I don't think the prices are unreasonable, and they appear to have used Rhino's plans. I like the shoes, but the sides are mostly a bother. For snow or gravel, you will always have the wrong one on.
For snow, I don't mind the looks of the $600 one. If you decide to ditch or grade you can just slide the blade over to the end to make a shorter lever. 1/4" iron shouldn't crumple up too easily.
You are the only one that knows what you might end up doing with it, how heavy you need to get and how much you want to spend.

Last edited:

roadracer86

Equipment
Aug 19, 2012
New Bloomfield PA
Thanks folks,
I think we'll try the Xtreme 7 ft blade that Everything Attachment has on their website. Made in the USA by the the sellers so at least we'll know who contact if it bends. The fellow on the phone said nobody has bent one of these yet so I think it'll be a good blade.

It also seems to be a pretty heavy blade that weighs in at 490 lbs which is heavier than most commerically available blades from Land Pride, Woods or King Kutter in the same width.

The skids should be handy to keep the blade from augering in the pavement so that would be a plus; I just hope this tractor doesn't become a big sled in slick snow on R4's without chains on a sloped driveway. We'll keep the bucket on the front and blade on the back to slow it down if it gets squirrely.

gerald pitts

Equipment
B 3200
Aug 2, 2011
emmett, idaho
I used an L4610 HST for removing snow in a mountain subdivision here in Idaho. Had 5 miles of road and a dozen driveways to clear whenever it snowed. This subdivision had any and all types of terrain to deal with as far as snow removal went so it was a good test of my equipment and ability to us it. After 6 seasons and a lot of trial and error I came to the conclusion that you need a 4x4 tractor with cab, rear mount blade with angle settings, FEL, and most importantly....chains on all 4 wheels. The chains not only give traction but will keep the tractor moving in a straight line when the blade loads up with heavy snow. I had a good blower also but used it very little because in comparison to the blade and FEL it was slower, harder on the tractor, used far more fuel and far more labor intensive to maintain. Another tip.....remove snow in the coldest part of the day...it's usually lighter and moves much easier. Stay ahead of the accumulation....it's faster and easier on your equipment to plow 6" of snow twice than it is to plow 12" once!

roadracer86

Equipment
Aug 19, 2012
New Bloomfield PA
Thanks Gerald,
I hoping (fingers crossed) if we spend money a rear blade we'll get little snow this year. Typically when we buy new lawnmowers we get a drought that year and so on. :)

I'll try this without the chains and if it is painful enough then we'll spring for the chains and wheel spacers but I hoping those can wait until next fall. I have so much broke junk right now bleeding me dry and working me night and day it isn't funny. Too many things with motors and wires I guess. Anyhow thanks for your input!