Snow blower anti scalp modification

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have been planning this modification to my 90" inverted snow blower for a number of years but finally this summer the work was completed.

I am posting the photos now so others, who suffer from blowing gravel and sod when the ground is not frozen, have another concept to consider other than skid shoes.

The original idea is not mine but the details of the design for my blower are mine.

This is my blower (before the wheel installation)which is equipped with a back blade. It is very heavy.

This is the product that got me thinking about adding a similar wheel option to my blower.

My original vision was to have each wheel on an independent swing arm as close to the blower's center of gravity as possible. Each wheel would be raised and lowered by a 1" x 4" hydraulic cylinder.

This is the concept sketch used to determine if the wheels could be packaged where I wanted them.

I wanted the swing arms to be stiff enough to take the twisting imposed by the wheel assembly so it is made from 3/4" x 3" flat plate.

I had professional fabricators do the welding to my design. They found that the swing arms were twisting under load and proposed adding an axle to tie both swing arms together. It was an excellent idea.

This next photo is of the hinge or pivot for each swing arm. I used hydraulic cylinder tangs as I could buy them with a 1" diameter hole drilled in the same place in each tang.

The movement of the wheels vertically is minimal. The cylinder has a 4" stroke and the wheels moves down 3" below the blower cutting edge and raises up 1" above the blower cutting edge. ( a small change from the original sketch).

Getting everything to fit was much more difficult than the photos demonstrate. There are diagonal braces supporting the blower's outer corners and the tires (16.5 x 8) just squeeze in without rubbing throughout the cylinder's stroke.

I am currently installing a 12 volt hydraulic selector valve so the same rear remote can operate the wheels or the rear blade.

Once we get snow, I will post on the performance in the field.

Dave

Last edited:

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine
Nice design Dave! I like the rear blade also. That’s a nice addition