smoke from breather in B7100HST

quinka

Equipment
L245DT with FEL and backhoe, B7100HST
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Hi all, Not knowing much about diesel engines, my B7100HST (which has 1900 hours on it) is smoking blue smoke out the breather pipe constantly along with a smidgen of oil. Is it normal for the breather pipe to emit smoke continuously and oil droplets? The engine makes no unusual noises even at full throttle and uses about 1 quart of oil every 50 hours. My local dealer said "it is an older model and I wouldn't worry one bit, just run it" (maybe that was to coax me into purchasing a new model)? This tractor has been a fantastic tractor and if I have to get new engine, I may. I do push it alot however, I run the mower through 3 foot tall grass often to cut it down so I can mow it later correctly. Can anyone help with finding if it is a problem? If Vic can explain, I sure would appreciate it also. Any helpful hints would be well appreciated.
Thanks in advance quinka (Frank)

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
It is not abnormal to emit some vapor out the breather. You say your burns 1 qrt/50 hrs, that is getting up there for an engine of that size. It is probably safe to say you have some ring wear. If it runs great and there are no other issues I would run it and keep track of the oil. The weight of oil can affect oil consumption especially in older engines like yours so be sure to use a good diesel oil of proper viscosity.

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Thanks kuboman, I use Penzoil 10w30 for the most part. I mowed for 2 hours yesterday and zero problems (but still smoking from breather) ran like a clock though.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I use Penzoil 10w30
That would be exactly why it's smoking, that's not a diesel rate oil, it will not let the rings seat properly!

You need to do an oil like Rotella T 15w 40, it's a diesel rated oil.
You will also need to change the oil filter too!

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Thanks kuboman, I use Penzoil 10w30 for the most part. I mowed for 2 hours yesterday and zero problems (but still smoking from breather) ran like a clock though.
You live where it gets quite warm so you might want to try a 15-40. Make sure it is diesel rated (CH, CJ etc.)

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Thanks guys, as you can see, I know little about deisels. CNC machines I know, toolmaking I know, deisel engines..........Well, you can see that. I will change oil and filter right away. Interestingly, the same oil is in our L245DT and no smoke or oil use. Guess I better change that also. I have been using penzoil in our cars for 40 years and never had an engine problem, but deisels are different obviously.

Thanks again guys,

Frank

JoBo

Equipment
B5100, D905 powered generator
Mar 15, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
There is also a Shell Rotella 30 weight that I would use in your area of the country, it's in the white bottle.
I find it at my local NAPA. Be aware there are three formulas of Rotella. Blue bottle is 5-40 synthetic, silver bottle is a blend and the white bottle comes in 15-40 and straight 30w.

Last edited:

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Thanks all, I will change oil and filter tomorrow and let you know how it works out. I mow 7 acres of real hills with this machine and the L245DT so they both get a good workout. Hopefully I can save the engine. My lack of knowledge on deisels is a drawback, but my mechanical skills are ok. I make any special part I need in my machine shop and install it myself. The CNC machine helps immensely. I have a bridgeport with prototrak control and lathe and all companion machines.

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Ok, I picked up Rotella T heavy duty diesel engine oil 15W-40 (which was the only one they had) I will change the oil and filter today and let you wonderful guys know how it worked later.

Thanks to all,

Frank

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Thanks to all!!!! I changed the oil and filter (rotella 15-40) and no more smoke, I guess the little fella is going to be ok now. Can't thank you guys enough. If you need any advice on machine work or welding, I will be happy to help.