Small trailer

2manybikes

Equipment
19 L3560 HST with cab.
Aug 2, 2021
SW Va.
I'm looking for suggestions on a small trailer to pull behind a Yanmar 4x4. the tractor is very small and I would like to find something with a capacity of an average wheelbarow. Using it in the woods where I cant get around with the other tractors. Everything I have looked at so far would never stand up to the load or terrain, even going slowly. The axels or axel supports are too weak. Pulled behind a riding mower maybe, but not for hauling firewood.

Winkles_9

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Jun 24, 2021
Annandale MN
We have been using a little trailer similar to this for deer hunting for many years. Works out really good and the suspension helps it crawl over small logs and rocks.
1630531854114.png

Reactions: 1 user

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
I'm looking for suggestions on a small trailer to pull behind a Yanmar 4x4. the tractor is very small and I would like to find something with a capacity of an average wheelbarow. Using it in the woods where I cant get around with the other tractors. Everything I have looked at so far would never stand up to the load or terrain, even going slowly. The axels or axel supports are too weak. Pulled behind a riding mower maybe, but not for hauling firewood.

I've got one something like this
Pretty sure the one I have is American made.

Dump body, removable tail gate, all steel.
Plain bearing wheels, I've replaced the bronze bearings once over the 15 years I've had it (got it second hand)

It's main use is hauling firewood. The wood lot is about 1/4 mile over some hilly ground.

It's starting to show "the patina of use" but a great tool for the money.

It holds about two weeks worth of fuel wood per load.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have a Gorrilla Cart. It can be pulled by hand, mower, UTV etc. The handle reverses to allow you to use a pin to a vehicle. It has four wheels and has about 1000 lb capacity. I think that would work well for you. Mine was about $125. It also can dump.

I also have a 4 wheel UTV trailer but that is about $650. It’s a lot bigger but has a mesh floor which isn’t any good to haul dirt.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I have used a 14 cu. ft. Ohio Steel dump cart for many purposes including hauling 7 cords of firewood each year for this past 30 years. Only repair was the latch spring and replaced the rotted tires.

Reactions: 1 user

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Yup! That's the one!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
search for “trailer for ATV to pull” or Marlin to see what is available for that market that may match your needs.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I found the same trailer that Winkles_9 posted, used, with flat tires, and bought it for $20.
It then became the base for my Rhino trailer.
IMG_0663.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Here's another thread on small trailers, probably lighter than you want, but I (and others) have had pretty good service from them.
I have not got to use the last one/version that I posted, but looking forward to it. (posts #39 & #51)

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
I have two poly dumpcarts. First one I purchased was from TSC (ground works I believe) it holds around 1200lb or so if I remember. The 2nd cart I bought was a gorilla cart (also around 1200 lbs as I recall)

I built rack using 1x2 and ply wood to add height to the one I got from TSC (front by handle and sides)- it's hauled many a load of firewood. I also used it to transport 5 retaining wall blocks at a time (5x54= 270lbs). I've also hauled a couple huge sweet gum logs to be split into firewood (16-18" long and 12-18" diameter).

The most weight I've put in the gorilla so far is a load of dirt when I built a raised garden bed. I could barely lift the cart body by hand to dump the dirt in to the bed.

I think the gorilla cart I have is 7cu feet and the groundworks one is similar, maybe a little smaller.

I owned these before I bought my BX, used my riding mower to pull them around.

I prefer my gorilla cart as the wheels are wider spaced (outside of the cart body vs under it on the TSC cart). I just checked the TSC website and looks like the new groundworks maybe made by gorilla as they look very similar (wheels are wider and frame looks similar). Obviously mygorilla cart is more stable due to the wider wheel base.

Dan

Edit : attached picture of the TSC cart with load of firewood. I've carried more than this before, the issue is I felt the plywood/1x2 rack would break - it was bowing considerably. You can also see the short wheel base.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
I had a tandem axle brush buggy perfect for firewood I sold it few years ago, wasn't using it now I wished I'd kept it.

2manybikes

Equipment
19 L3560 HST with cab.
Aug 2, 2021
SW Va.
Thanks again for the info and comments. Hopefully by the end of this week I can get out and look at the TSC carts. I can get some pics and compare them to some of the other brands. The wider wheel base as well as the wider tires are a good idea.

D

Deleted member 47704

We have been using a little trailer similar to this for deer hunting for many years. Works out really good and the suspension helps it crawl over small logs and rocks. View attachment 65456
I have one of those I got free (brand new from a friend of mine), put a 2x6 platform on it and made stake sides.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
TSC does not carry every make/model in store that they have online. They have poly dump carts like I have as well as metal ones.

As far as gorilla carts, big box stores usually carry them (also does not have every one in store). I have found TSC charges for shipping while big box stores don't. Something to keep in mind to help keep costs down, should you go that route.

2manybikes

Equipment
19 L3560 HST with cab.
Aug 2, 2021
SW Va.
I purchased an Ohio Steel poly dump cart from Tractor supply. Caught it on sale around Thanksgiving for about $60 off. Very pleased with it and quite surprised at the quality of the welds, packing and paint. Had to clean up the edges of the plastic tubing that was supplied for the wheel spacers but that was it. Easy to assemble. Many good suggestions, comments and observations from those who replied made this an informed purchase. Thanks to everyone.