Small job for the positioner

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Today I had the day off so I decided to make a support for my hand when I'm using the welding positioner. When using these things the more steady your hand is the better the welding job is so this outfit that I got made will make life a little easier. It's not ground breaking but I made it our of left over aluminum I had around the shop and It gave me a chance to use the milling machine and the tig welder. Hard to believe it took all day to build it though :(

Attachments

Wildfire

Equipment
Thanks guys. I think the worst part of the job was cleaning the mess up afterward :)

This little addition to the positioner is just the start for it. I'll be building attachments to add to this so I can hold the tig and mig torch to it as well. It was a nice relaxing little project to do on an otherwise non eventful Saturday. Appreciate your comments.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Wildster,, just a question from a dummy,, whats it for? And what do you do with it???

Wildfire

Equipment
Wildster,, just a question from a dummy,, whats it for? And what do you do with it???
Basically it's much the same as a rotisserie with a chuck. The welding postitioner is for holding round metal parts and turning them for you as you weld them. It's used to achieve top quality welds and repetitive welding.

If I had to weld 30 round objects I would set up the postitioner by attaching the foot pedal. Dial in the right speed that i want the work to turn and also in the direction I want it to turn then set up my welding equipment, put the material in the chuck, hold the welding torch to the material and just hit the foot switch and let the equipment do the rest.

If you've ever tried to weld something round you have to do a fair bit of moving around to get it welded. you would have to start and stop many times before you got all the way around and it might not look so nice after your done. The positioner allows you to stay in one place while it does the turning and the weld appearance and quality is second to none.

I've included some samples of my work with the machine. Oh. Very good question you asked. I just take things for granted that everyone knows this stuff but there's plenty out the that never seen one before. :cool:

Attachments