Slooooow OTT

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Is anyone finding OTT very sloooow responding today?:( All other sites I have checked are normal.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Gotcha. Running some tests of my own it's a little pokey in places I see. On the phone now with the hosting company to order some bigger shoes to see if that helps a bit.

They tell me the cut-over will be 0-downtime but I'm pretty skeptical of that. I'll try to schedule it for off-peak hours here at OTT.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Gotcha. Running some tests of my own it's a little pokey in places I see. On the phone now with the hosting company to order some bigger shoes to see if that helps a bit.

They tell me the cut-over will be 0-downtime but I'm pretty skeptical of that. I'll try to schedule it for off-peak hours here at OTT.

what ever you did or didn't did, :D it is working much, much better for me now.:cool:

Thanks Mr. K

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
wow Thumper..you speak...Mr.K jumps....now that's clout..Thanks Mr.K by the way.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Ok switch over complete. Let me know if you notice anything odd or slow and I'll tweak things a bit. In a nutshell, this afternoon we moved to SSDs from old-school spinning disks. Anyone who is a bit of a computer geek is welcome to read on...

More than a year ago we exported the images and attachments out of the database onto disk to alleviate the strain. That works for a while but does mean the disk is doing more work, especially for a forum - lots of small files read constantly and randomly, especially as visitors poke at backpages.

The numbers this morning showed the disk working a lot. Here are some benchmarks before and after the switch over to SSDs:

before, on HDD
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/output conv=fdatasync bs=384k count=1k; rm -f /tmp/output
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
402653184 bytes (403 MB) copied, 130.21 s, 3.1 MB/s

now, on SSD
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/output conv=fdatasync bs=384k count=1k; rm -f /tmp/output
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
402653184 bytes (403 MB) copied, 0.485917 s, 829 MB/s

A test which previously took more than 2 minutes now completes in < 0.5s. The disk performance on the server is now benchmarked at 267x faster so I think we'll be good on disk speed for hopefully a while. Next item to popup will probably be CPU (this change has helped there too).