Skid steer plate thickness

cjh

May 21, 2020
erie pennsylvania
So, I'm still waiting on delivery of the 2650. Everything Is on the dealers lot finally, they are just a little behind on getting units out the door with the whole situation we are in. Not the end of the world for me. I ended up with the quick attach bucket since I want to be able to put a front blade on the loader on certain situations. I have a 6' blade that I held onto when I sold the old Kioti and I plan on fabricating a mount for it. My question is what thickness SSQA plate should I get? I see anywhere from 1/4" up to 3/4" thick plates. The difference in price to go from 1/4" to 3/8" is minor, but I guess I don't really need this to be able to push over a mountain. I have to weld on tabs so I can mount the plow frame to the plate so I guess I could beef up a lighter thickness plate. I see Kubota has a quick attach front blade shown as an option so I think this is a very doable project. I am hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction. My gut tells me 1/4" should be plenty, but always looking for real world input! Thanks in advance for any info.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
First welcome to OTT. I had to wait on my L6060 Kubota for about three weeks this year also.

I rather have the3/8 inch myself. Would think that would be sufficient if it has good support behind it.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I used 1/2" plate for my quick attach forks, and now wish I had gone with something lighter. I'm not sure how much weight lifting capacity I would have gained with 3/8" plate, but 1 /2" was way more than needed for anything my B2650HSDC can lift. I'm the type of guy that likes to build a brick outhouse, and it wasn't needed. I did learn by it, when it came time to buy my grapple, I went with one that only weighs 230 pounds and still gets the job done without being heavy.

cjh

May 21, 2020
erie pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies. Looks like 1/4" will be what I go with. Anybody ever use or have any opinion on the Titan brand plates? The 1/4" units are right around $100 which I didn't think was a bad price.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I run ATI myself. Ati on the SSQA as well least one unit. The other has the Kubota SSQA but everything interchanges because it's all ISO standard.

Hillbilly77

Jun 19, 2016
New York
Thanks for the replies. Looks like 1/4" will be what I go with. Anybody ever use or have any opinion on the Titan brand plates? The 1/4" units are right around $100 which I didn't think was a bad price.
Between my neighbor’s farm and mine, we use several of the Titan brand plates.
We’ve found them to be great quality and we haven’t had any trouble at all.
We have them on a bale spear, rock bucket, regular tractor bucket, and a snowplow and they’re all great.
I also own a set of Titan brand pallet forks and they are also great quality.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
The 1/2" plate that I used was a Titan plate that I got from Amazon . I just checked, and they no longer offer the 1/2" , but do list a 3/8" and a 5 /16. I had no issues with it matching my ssqa FEL. It welded up just fine, but again was way more than needed.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Now that you have the plate problem fixed have you thought about how you will build the blade? Are you planning on pushing snow and or dirt? Either way you need to build the blade so that it will trip if you run into something solid. The arms of the FEL are not made to act as the arms of a dozer blade.

cjh

May 21, 2020
erie pennsylvania
Now that you have the plate problem fixed have you thought about how you will build the blade? Are you planning on pushing snow and or dirt? Either way you need to build the blade so that it will trip if you run into something solid. The arms of the FEL are not made to act as the arms of a dozer blade.
Yes, the plow already has springs and a regular pin on mount. It will be a back up in case the snowblower goes down and some light dirt work. On the old tractor, it was able to be set up to float or have down pressure depending on how I had the lift cylinder set up. Im planning on doing the same thing with this setup. Will be a very similar setup as the factory option but the blade can float independently from the loader. Will try to get some pics of the plow.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
That is good to hear. Look forward to the pictures.

Last edited:

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I am 99% sure it was Titan plate I bought and it was not built to industry size specs. I test fitted it before mounting it and found the problem before spent any time or money with it. Reached out to them and they shipped a correct plate out asap and did not request the bad one be returned. Seems they had some they had made but all I heard was they took care of the problem very well. I would buy from them again. Do understand there are two companies with the word "titan" in their name....

cjh

May 21, 2020
erie pennsylvania
I am 99% sure it was Titan plate I bought and it was not built to industry size specs. I test fitted it before mounting it and found the problem before spent any time or money with it. Reached out to them and they shipped a correct plate out asap and did not request the bad one be returned. Seems they had some they had made but all I heard was they took care of the problem very well. I would buy from them again. Do understand there are two companies with the word "titan" in their name....
Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at the titan that was sold on the palletforks website. I only saw the one site, but I will look into it a bit more before ordering anything.